PDA

View Full Version : 5g AT Cruise Control questions...

Shadowlife25
01-03-2007, 03:30 AM
Ok fellas, I'm really hoping that someone on here has knowledge of the cruise system on our cars. I know that most just end up removing it in favor of other things, but the cruise control keeps me out of trouble :)
So far I've replaced the cruise actuator(under hood) the speed control box (in center dash) tested all the tolerances according to the wiring diags and bgb and all check out ok. I'm now at a bit of a loss since the only 2 components of the system left are the cruise control clutch switch and the steering wheel mounted switch.
What are the odds of any of the cruise system components going out like this?

Thanks in advance,
Mario

alltracman78
01-03-2007, 03:38 AM
ANYTHING can break.

What EXACTLY are the syptoms, and what EXACTLY have you checked and how?

Shadowlife25
01-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Cruise control button on steering wheel paddle switch is depressed, "Cruise" light comes on instument panel, single click sound from speed control box. Drive at any speed above 25mph and pull switch down to set/cruise and nothing happens. It worked a few months ago, then it became intermittent and now not at all.
I tested the resistances and voltages at the actuator and the speed control box with a dvom. I have not however, tested the "cruise control clutch switch" as listed in the wiring diagram as it's location is not terribly clear and there are 2. One at the full up and one at the fully depressed positions of the clutch pedal. Nor have I tried to check the actual paddle switch on the steering wheel, as it involves removing the airbag unit which I haven't been brave enough to try yet.
Thanks for the quick response,
Mario

By odds of these components breaking I meant how often does this happen with our cars in particular. I know that things give out over time but up till I picked up my AT I've almost exclusively owned Rx-7's so I don't yet know what to expect from these as far as things that are usual suspects in the breakage department. :)