PDA

View Full Version : New year task!

4thgenceli
01-02-2007, 07:39 PM
So seeing as it's the new year, I decided to make a resolution. I will get Celibaby backup and running in stock form (besides the exhaust, and that stuff). The engine itself will be 90% stock.

We are planning on purchasing a house towards the end of 2007, early 2008. We don't want to purchase a new car and have payments when this happens (the Mazda's paid off in a couple months). Mary's agreed to let me redo the Celica. As I see it, I have 3 options. Keep in mind my ultimate goal is still a 3s-gte swap.

1) Rebuild bottom end and replace seals on head. Since the head was just rebuilt 8000 miles ago, it doesn't need a full rebuild, but minor stuff (valve adustment, valve seals, etc). The block though wasn't touched when I had the head rebuilt, so it has the full 18xxxx miles.

2) Pull motor, and replace with low mileage 3sfe (USDM).

3). Do the 3sge swap.

I'm really leaning toward the first option of just rebuilding the bottom end. It'd be the most cost efficient. The only thing is... what should get replaced on the block? Jeremy suggested pistons & rings for a fact. Crank shouldn't be touched unless it's scored, which in that case it should be ground. What about the rods? Leave them be?

While the engine is out, I'll be fixing my powersteering leak, as well as replacing my drive axles with some GTS ones.

Any input?

4thgenceli
01-04-2007, 03:40 PM
No wuv from the non 4thgen peeps?