PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber hood or regular alltrac hood?

GT4SOM
01-01-2007, 09:32 PM
If you had to choose, forget about the price. Lets say you get a free hood, which would you pick and why? Does the carbon fiber crack after a while if you're running a top mount?

GT4SOM
01-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Oh yeah the carbon fiber hood is also a alltrac style hood.

PhillyDRFT
01-01-2007, 09:41 PM
The OEM one if price isn't an issue to you. only because it looks so much cleaner and it's not a "Hey I look like a race car" body part. The CF is a plus for weight if that matters to you also and CF is paintable contrary to popular belief just no one wants to "ruin" the CF finish. Depending on your car's color the black CF hood might stand out too drastically and make it look like an unpainted replacement part. If you're car is black you obviously wont have this problem. It also shows up well against silvers. Thats just what I think from a style standpoint but I know it's a very personal preference.

IMHO go for the stock one if your not worried about price just because you know what you're getting, It's going to fit 100% and it will match your car. It's a much better investment rather than an after market hood.

alltracman78
01-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Personally I prefer the stock hood....
Weight savings are not that signifigant, and at least some of the hoods have a fitment issue.

Can't really beat OEM fit.

VikingJZ
01-01-2007, 10:59 PM
What Jeremy said.

I was always surprised how leight our hoods are. Carbon fiber hoods also have that tacky look to them as well, unless you like that style.

GT4SOM
01-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Yes I do notice the CF hoods really don't look as good as the oem ones. I would mostly worry about it cracking or breaking due to the heat.

=cJ=
01-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Carbon fibre, the more weight I can save the better...

'90 CeLicA Aus
01-02-2007, 12:29 AM
I wish I had an AT hood :(

1990CelicaGT-S
01-02-2007, 03:19 AM
I was thinking about this the other day acctually. I don't think it would look right with anything other that dark colors. The headlights kind of mess it up too, it just doesn't look right. Almost interrupts the flow.

There is something about CF though. It's not completely ricey. It's all in taste I think. I'd decide depending on the color and any other mods on the car.

KoreanJoey
01-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Why don't you get a carbon hood and just paint it? I suprised no one said anything about that yet... less weight = more better. :)

PhillyDRFT
01-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Why don't you get a carbon hood and just paint it? I suprised no one said anything about that yet... less weight = more better. :)

The CF is a plus for weight if that matters to you also and CF is paintable contrary to popular belief just no one wants to "ruin" the CF finish.
:wiggle:

insomnak8702
01-03-2007, 12:43 AM
when swapping my old hood to the all-trac hood. the all-trac hood is heavier than the regular stock hood. one of the lightest oem hood i know is the hood scooped fc3s.

1990CelicaGT-S
01-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Why has there been so much hype about not being able to paint Carbon Fibre then? You can get it tinted. It never made sense to me in the first place that you couldn't paint it.

Cavanagh
01-03-2007, 03:29 AM
^Werd^ If i had a choice i would prolly paint it.

1990CelicaGT-S
01-04-2007, 02:24 AM
Personnally I don't think the CF really looks all that ricey. It's the huge body kits, wings, and other crazy stuff that does that.

PhillyDRFT
01-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Personnally I don't think the CF really looks all that ricey. It's the huge body kits, wings, and other crazy stuff that does that.

It's not as much making it look ricey as a CF hood costs $500+ and depending on the body and paint condition of the car its going on. Sometimes looks like a replacement part. that and your never guaranteed perfect fitment. Adding another 100$ or more if you want the hood painted to match. It's a lot of money going out for just a hood. not to mention ive heard numerous statements of the cf counterparts not being very good copys IE: smaller vents, odd wrinkles and folds. Particularly the sebion hoods. There was a silver celi here who got a CF CS that looked really well done, I remember something about it not being an off the shelf part tho.

Edit: and if you're that worried about weight placement save the extra money from buying the CF and relocate your battery to the trunk and buy a lightweight dry cell.

DarkSideCelica
01-04-2007, 05:56 PM
get a used cf hood tht fits well for cheap and paint it.... i did tht, except i recleared it and it costed me way less than a brand new one

btw, cf hood are not ricey :p

redpunk
01-05-2007, 04:33 AM
my buddy(celicatrd93)has a AT hood and i think it looks good on his car you dont need a carbon fiber like other people said cracking crashing or it is not going to fit well done... oem is the best choice for you...