PDA

View Full Version : Clutch hydraulics question

Chuckanut
12-31-2006, 03:38 AM
The hydraulics on my car were bad when I got it (slow moving, molasses instead of brake fluid, chunks in the master cylinder, you get the idea) so today I put on a new master and slave cylinder. The good news is the clutch engages so much better, much 'sharper', the bad news is it engages just off the floor. I bled the hell out of it and adjusted the push rod on the master cylinder as far as it will go, but it's still on the floor. That's roughly where it was before, but I expected the new parts to bring it up.

Any one have any thoughts or suggestions? The parts fit perfectly and both push rods are the exact same length as before, so I'm stumped. I sure don't want to have to replace the master cylinder again (what a bitch to work on!!!).

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find my old vacuum pump and suck the fluid through to remove any possible air pockets, otherwise I'm stumped. :wtf:

Help!

Tom

alltracman78
01-01-2007, 12:19 AM
If your clutch is badly worn it will have low engagement.
With a brand new clutch it should be at the top of the pedal, and go down as the disc wears.

tankd0g
01-01-2007, 02:28 AM
The hydraulics on my car were bad when I got it (slow moving, molasses instead of brake fluid, chunks in the master cylinder, you get the idea) so today I put on a new master and slave cylinder. The good news is the clutch engages so much better, much 'sharper', the bad news is it engages just off the floor. I bled the hell out of it and adjusted the push rod on the master cylinder as far as it will go, but it's still on the floor. That's roughly where it was before, but I expected the new parts to bring it up.

Any one have any thoughts or suggestions? The parts fit perfectly and both push rods are the exact same length as before, so I'm stumped. I sure don't want to have to replace the master cylinder again (what a bitch to work on!!!).

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find my old vacuum pump and suck the fluid through to remove any possible air pockets, otherwise I'm stumped. :wtf:

Help!

Tom

There's an adjustment in the pedal too. I think the specs are in the BGB.

alltracman78
01-01-2007, 02:47 AM
I bled the hell out of it and adjusted the push rod on the master cylinder as far as it will go,

:P

Chuckanut
01-01-2007, 04:41 AM
If your clutch is badly worn it will have low engagement.
With a brand new clutch it should be at the top of the pedal, and go down as the disc wears.

Um, actually the exact opposite. As the clutch disc gets thinner, the plate can't clamp it as well and it lets go at the lightest touch.

I found my vacuum pump and got some more air out of it, it's better, a couple inches off the floor but still not right.

Tom

alltracman78
01-01-2007, 05:21 AM
You're right.
My mistake.