PDA

View Full Version : 1981 Corolla ftw

Chris
12-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Alright, my dad used to own a 1981 Corolla SR-5 with the 1.8 four banger. Right before my mom and him moved to Texas they gave it to my grandpa, who gave it to my uncle, my uncle, while known to be prone to seizures, decided that not taking medicine = good idea and wrecked it into a tree. It's been sitting at my grandpa's place for about 12 or 13 years. It's had oil in it, been driven around once (no idea how long ago) but other than that, hasn't been started it up. We loaded it up today to bring it back to our house.

On the outside, the engine looks fine. My dad and I's plan to get this thing back to life so I can rebuild the front body and use it was, before we leave to go back to Ft. Riley for a week, throw seafoam into the spark plugs so it'd go down on the pistons and sit there until we got back, hopefully lubricating them enough so that we can start it up and rape the carb with seafoam to get the rest of the engine good.

My questions to y'all are,

1. without cranking it, how can we get seafoam into the valves?

2. Will seafoam do a good job with what we want to do by lubricating the engine enough to get it to turn over and hopefully stay somewhat healthy?

3. Do y'all have any other ideas on what to do, ideas that you have known to work for you or anyone else trying to start up an engine like this after it's set for so long?

Any ideas/comments would be appreciated.

alltracman78
12-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Change the oil and run the oil pump with an air rachet to circulate it.
Other than that, meh.
Has it been sitting on grass/dirt or on pavement?
Other than it rusting out, it is probably ok.
Many times the engine will run fine.
You might want to do another oil change soon after....

Got any pics?

Chris
12-29-2006, 02:35 AM
Actually, it's got more oil in the engine that needed (my uncle was indeed a dumbass), but we're going to change the oil as soon as we get the thing to turn over.

My dad and I are kinda worried about rust with the piston rings, but I guess we'll see. It's been sitting on grass/dirt.

I'll provide pics tomorrow and as my dad and I, and my friend (automotive major at the local college) work to get this thing road worthy. Hopefully it'll last long enough so that I can throw a 3sgte into the Celica this summer, but we'll see.

trah
01-04-2007, 12:05 AM
there would be never be rust inside the motor unless it was taken apart and left apart while sitting for 12-13 years. Seafoam is mostly a carbon cleaner cleans everything from IM , Intake valves exhaust valves ect.... just run it through the brake boost and it should be fine but for older cars BEWARE since carbon is a good thing as well since it can block out cracks and such.... Other then that do what alltrac man78 said when your cranking up a very old motor change the oil then i would say another 500-1000 miles change the oil again since everything needs to be in normal condition again. I would change the water pump oil pump and timing belt themostat and change oil main things i would do since coolant can cause corrosion inside the coolant passageway run a water hose in and clean it a bit do the same with engine coolant 500-1000k change the sucker. other then that RESTORE IT and dont hit a TREEEEEEE :bigthumbu

Chris
01-04-2007, 04:46 AM
Hmm, so there's no need to put anything into the pistons?

And noted, we'll change the oil, cooland, and several other things once we get the thing cranked.

Oh, and how much sea foam should we use?

trah
01-04-2007, 05:33 AM
1 bottle should be suffice get ready for a smoke show :bigthumbu

85gtsblackman
01-05-2007, 12:42 AM
umm if i red right u were going to put seafoam in the cylinders, well i wouldnt due it due to sitting for some time

instead id use marvel mystery oil to lub things then once its got everything right for cumbustion, air, fuel, spark, then add seafoam after u get it running

this is what i did to my free truck i got thats sat for 8 years

im pretty sure your gonna need a carb kit to, and lotssssssss of carb cleaner as i did

carb kit from my truck was around 20 from autozone