PDA

View Full Version : Stealership RAPE

ty_44_69
12-26-2006, 03:40 PM
So I went out west last week and figured I would take the car to the stealership to let them fix some things. OF course before they started to work on it I gave them a list, and told them to give me a price on each fix.
Now these aren't the exact numbers but here is roughly what the wanted.
Ebrake cable $600
Oil pan gasket $250, but said the oil pan should be replaced and when taking it down they might break things so they said they didn't want to really do it for under $xxx...........
Valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals $270
Then they started there typical "oh this should be and that should be"
In the end they quoted like $2000.

So in the end I just said fuck it and told my parents to take the car away from them and I will fix it myself when I get home and get time.
It's not like the car doesn't work it drives fine, I just have to keep an eye on the oil levels, and work without an ebrake cable until I can get around to it.

First off I don't know how it could cost that much to change an ebrake cable, secondly they were just trying to replace everything to OEM spec.
Saying "ohh this doesn't look good your alignment is way out"
ummm sorry I just got an alignment done at a trustworthy shop, and I watched them do it, and I have the results, and I drive with no pull, or tire wear.
Sooo whatever, just thought I would share my story of what I believe to be an attempted rape.

Fuelish
12-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Ebrake cable $600

Can't comment on the rest (although dealerships are always excessively expensive) but I had a broken e-brake cable replaced on a '91 Tercel for, like, $90 or so, by a local mech a couple of years ago. I mean, c'mon ...... it's a freaking ss cable, running from point A (brake handle) to point B (parking/e-brake)......it ain't rocket science, or anything... damn dealerships :(

COLDAX
12-26-2006, 07:19 PM
I had my ebrake cable replaced by a shop a few years ago - cost about $120 total.

ty_44_69
12-26-2006, 08:24 PM
I know that's why when I heard them say $600 I was like WTF.
I know that doesn't cost that much, so if they are screwing me on this they must be raping me on everything.

tankd0g
12-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Is this the Celica or the MR2 you are talking about. For an MR2 it might be a little more difficult to do those things but I'm pretty sure that MR2 Turbo pulling into a dealership = Turn on the rape price sign anyway.

T-spoon
12-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Do keep in mind labor rates have gone up in many places the last year. You could be looking at $100/hr on the labor. The three cables by themselves after tax for a walk in customer would be around $200. That is not counting any hardware, the linkage etc., just the three cables. When thinking about what you've been quoted at a dealership, find out what the breakdown is for the parts and the cost for each, then find out what the labor is and what that breaks down into hours. If the book lists 2 hours for a job, it doesn't matter if joe blow under his oak tree can do it on his camry in 45 minutes, it's still a 2 hour job. Dealerships don't typically just make up what they're going to charge on a job, though they'll sometimes modify it based on the vehicle, and the markup on the parts will be different everywhere. Also keep in mind there is MASSIVE pressure from up top to upsale. If they see something that should be done they'll tell you and have the prices ready in case you say yes, because they have to. That's why you take it to the dealership, so you know what all might need to be done, it doesn't mean you have to do it.

ty_44_69
12-28-2006, 12:09 AM
This was on the Celica. I understand exactly what you are saying T-spoon, I took it there because I wanted it done right and I did want to know the problems. Unfortunately they told me a couple more things than I needed or wanted.
I just couldn't see myself spending that much on a car that isn't worth that much. It is still running fine just losing a bit more oil than it should, and like I said I will do the ebrake because it's just the one cable that broke.

T-spoon
12-28-2006, 06:26 PM
This was on the Celica. I understand exactly what you are saying T-spoon, I took it there because I wanted it done right and I did want to know the problems. Unfortunately they told me a couple more things than I needed or wanted.
I just couldn't see myself spending that much on a car that isn't worth that much. It is still running fine just losing a bit more oil than it should, and like I said I will do the ebrake because it's just the one cable that broke.

Ah, some reason I thought it was the MR2. But yeah, it's definitely expensive, and sometimes service writers can get a little overzealous, just part of the territory sometimes.

ty_44_69
12-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Yep. I think the guy did that because I told him I wanted him to work on my MR2 becuase I heard he's the best in area. He was like "urggggggggghhh, who told you that?" So maybe he did this so I don't bring my MR2 to him hahaahah.

VikingJZ
12-31-2006, 07:00 PM
When my radiator blew this summer in South Ben, I hobbled it to the dealer and they then quoted me $530 to do the job including the radiator. Directly across the street was a radiator shop.

Got it done for $250.

T-spoon
12-31-2006, 07:24 PM
When my radiator blew this summer in South Ben, I hobbled it to the dealer and they then quoted me $530 to do the job including the radiator. Directly across the street was a radiator shop.

Got it done for $250.

And yet, the dealer could have sold you an extramile radiator for less than $250 and you could have installed it yourself for free in half an hour. If it's something you think you can do, find out what all your options are first. Sure, you got it done for half the cost, and you'll probably get half the life out of that radiator, and they probably put the wrong coolant in. Arm yourself with info, just being blindly afraid of the dealership is just going to screw yourself in the long run. If you can do stuff yourself, great, do it! Make sure you're using good parts though.

Rix86
12-31-2006, 08:06 PM
most dealerships install either really spendy oem radiators, or (in our case) radiators with a lifetime guarantee.