PDA

View Full Version : Harness bar?

CUcelica
12-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Is anyone running a harness? I'm thinking on getting a harness bar made. What has anyone else done?

KoreanJoey
12-22-2006, 08:45 AM
I run a 4 point for AutoX. I had it bolted to where the rear seatbelt slider was.

91sofla
01-01-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm interested in this as well.
Does anyone have any pics of their setup?
Anyone have them hooked to a rear strut tower bar?

CUcelica
01-01-2007, 05:52 PM
I was also curious about connecting to a rear strut bar.

bigacuralvr
01-01-2007, 07:29 PM
I am also interested. Hmmm...

alltracman78
01-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Brett, good to see you made it. :)

I am going to move this to drag/autocross.
Seems to be you'll get more response there for this.

If it's a problem, let me know and I'll move it back for you. :)

Chuckanut
01-01-2007, 08:58 PM
In my last autocross car, I used a Schroth 3-point belt (here (http://www.schrothracing.com/products/streetlegal/1576)) and mounted the sides to the stock seat belt bolts and the back to one of the rear seat lap belt mounts. It worked great and really held me in place. They even make one with a ratcheting back belt so you can use it all the time on the street.

I STRONGLY urge you to not use the strut bar!! It's not designed for those kind of forces in that direction (fore/aft) and will probably just buckle. I always use stock belt mounts whenever possible, especially since one of my SCCA-approved mounts in my rally car buckled in a wreck. The manufacturers have to meet federal and insurance standards, and they don't get any better than that!

I'm an old automotive engineer and have been involved in several crash studies and you can't believe the forces that are generated in even moderate crashes. Since the manufacturer already gives you mounts, might as well use them.

Tom

RallyK
01-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I've worn many harnesses and have installed on an autocross car.

details when i return fromwork. I even have picts and diagrams!

Adrian Avgerinos
01-03-2007, 06:51 PM
I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I strongly urge against using a 4/5/6 point harness without a roll bar. The OE 3 point belt system allows your upper torso to tip towards the middle of a car during a rollover. Without this allowance, you are bolted firmly to the seat in the upright position. Without a rollbar, your head is the only thing that will prevent the roof from buckling. Not good times.

Until I can afford the whole harness/rollbar/seat package, I'm using something like this when I take the car to the track:
http://www.cg-lock.com/

It works very well, for very cheap and will still allow your torso to move if the unthinkable happens.

KoreanJoey
01-03-2007, 07:48 PM
For AutoXing I don't worry about rolling the car over. However I would refrain from running with harnesses on public roads or circuit racing w/o a rollover bar...

RallyK
01-06-2007, 10:37 PM
ok I'm back. took a while bc i forgot.

we have a harness in our autocross car w/o a cage. I do not use the upper parts I only use the lap belt because it holds me tight. I'd buy a racing seat to hold me tight but my bf and I share the car and he's bigger than me. so we're keeping the seat OE for now and I just use the lap belt. our OE belt connects to the door so it doesn't work well at all.

There is a lot of concern about people using a harness on a non caged car. There ARE rules against it. I know SCCA rallycross rules prohibit harnesses in non caged cars. not sure about autocross rules.

we have a bar on the strut towers. the harness is installed, we just don't use it. I found that the 3" harness chokes me a bit when I'm steering a lot. it would be fine for track events I think. I'll need to use it this summer since im going to the OVAL HAHAHA!