PDA

View Full Version : Trunk load...

ciento44
12-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Ok... here's a fun situation...

My roomate needs a new tranny, and he found one. He wants me to go pick it up with the celica tomorrow... About an hour drive each way.

So, my question:

Is this a smart idea to just stuff it in the trunk? That board/thick cardboard thing in my trunk has buckled and cracked in the last couple months. I really don't want to haul this thing.... Do i have the potential to harm anything if i do?

It's a hydraulic honda tranny.

91 celica st
12-19-2006, 12:50 AM
its like 70 pounds

ive put 200-300 pounds in my celicas trunk...i had an entire geo metro engine in there along w tranny....its fine

hobbie2k
12-19-2006, 12:54 AM
get a piece of thick plywood or something to help distribute the load more evenly, then you shouldn't have a problem. Maybe make a point of tying it down so it doesn't fly forward if you hit the brakes. You should be fine, then.

ciento44
12-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Blah. :(

alltracman78
12-19-2006, 02:27 AM
Well, I've actually carried a 7AFE trans in my trunk for a good distance.
Put a board or something under it.

And stop crying, I have a hill in the center of my trunk for the spare tire, instead of being flat....

Cavanagh
12-19-2006, 02:31 AM
Make him pay you some good $$$$.

ciento44
12-19-2006, 02:35 AM
Nah...i was mostly hoping someone would say "no, you may mess up your suspension" or "No, you may dent the floor of your trunk or something."

I just really don't want to do it, but i'd feel bad about saying no for no reason other than sheer laziness or not wanting a dirty lump of metal in my trunk.

I really feel no sympathy for him grenading it. He knew he had a tranny fluid leak, and still beat the everliving shit out of it.

Denver_whiteST185
12-19-2006, 03:54 AM
I carried my new ST205 tranny in my trunk. Plus you can tell people that your ride is slammed....

Ive also moved twice with my car. i would secure it down good though cause image that coming through the rear seats right at you if someone hits you....

Cavanagh
12-19-2006, 04:02 AM
Make him rent a uhaul. :hehe:

90CelicaST
12-19-2006, 04:09 AM
I've carried a B16 block in the back of my ST. Going down a curvey road, you can feel the weight shift. It never fell over though.

91 celica st
12-19-2006, 05:09 AM
yea make sure its secured i had the engine move a little. lucky the carpet waas still in it and held it a little

Murgatroy
12-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Honestly if the dude is your roomate, c'mon, he would do it for you, right?

Put a piece of board under it and tie it down, my roomate carried the tranny to my Mustang in his Kia trunk for a month when I needed a place to store it. He is also my brother...

ciento44
12-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Honestly if the dude is your roomate, c'mon, he would do it for you, right?

Put a piece of board under it and tie it down, my roomate carried the tranny to my Mustang in his Kia trunk for a month when I needed a place to store it. He is also my brother...

Yeah, we got a piece of plywood. I already got it. But yeah, he'd do it for me, which is why i did it. And to give him credit, he did ask our two friends with trucks first.