PDA

View Full Version : tail lights

CollapsedNut
12-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Anybody give me the run down of how to pull my taillights for some bulb changes? I found 1 skrew on tha outside, do i gotta rip into my trunk to get the lights off? 90 celica stx btw...thanks!

alltracman78
12-18-2006, 10:23 PM
You have to pop off the corner lenses first.
Remove screw.
Remove inner rear panel for trunk.
I don't remember if you have to remove the lights from the car or if you can acess from the trunk.
I believe you have to remove them.
There are several bolts holding them in.

elektrateq
12-19-2006, 05:59 AM
Be careful. I found when I swapped my 90-91 tails for 92-93 tails the side pieces popped out differently. On pries out from the inside, the other pries out from the outside. Can't remember which. Anyways, for the coupes, there are 2 screws behind the end pieces (the outer most of the 3 brake lights on each side) and one piece under a flap on top of the lights that u have to open the trunk to access. If u happen to chip a piece off while trying to pry them loose, u can glue them back with clear super glue. I did this to mine and i couldnt tell what part had broken off after i glued it back.

They are poorly designed and a pain in the ass to replace.

90CelicaST
12-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Yea same here with swapping to 92/93 lights. Just pop off corner, remove two screws, open trunk lid, remove rubber cap on top of lights, take screww out, pop tail lights out. Voila. be careful with them though, I broke one of the plastic holders that holds the bar when reinstalling mine.

It's funny you have a brake light out because I noticed one of my bulbs has died as well.

Murgatroy
12-19-2006, 09:39 AM
90-91 Coupe pries off from the inside of the corner. Remove the trunk lining, everything unbolts like pie. The bulbs are in the housing, which needs removed from the body to access.

CollapsedNut
12-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Ok thanks for tha help. On mine the corner lens needs to be pried out from the tail light side. It is my backup lights that arent workin and i thought it was the bulb but it isnt and since boyth sides are out I figuered fuse, but I went throught every fuse and couldnt find one blown! So I donno whats up, I know the car has some kinda electrical problem because when I was putting in my cd player I couldnt get power from the old wires I had to nab power from the cig lighter.....Also anbody know if the bulbs in the upper brake light on the spoiler can be changed or if I have to replace the whole deal...Im tryin to get my car ready for inspection and I got so many light problems...I have no guage lights either!!