PDA

View Full Version : Car accident, paint job question

dwprog
12-18-2006, 05:56 AM
somebody caused me to wreck today. there are only scratches and dents on the right fender. it was their fault and they were sighted. their insurance will pay for it. does anyone know of any tips to try and get a complete paint job out of it? a long time ago my mom hit someone else's car with her door and the person got her insurance to pay for a paint job for the whole car. i want to know how this can be done.

PhillyDRFT
12-18-2006, 06:17 AM
somebody caused me to wreck today. there are only scratches and dents on the right fender. it was their fault and they were sighted. their insurance will pay for it. does anyone know of any tips to try and get a complete paint job out of it? a long time ago my mom hit someone else's car with her door and the person got her insurance to pay for a paint job for the whole car. i want to know how this can be done.

Thats called Insurance Fraud. We don't help out with that kind of thing here.

hobbie2k
12-18-2006, 04:23 PM
The insurance company will give you as much money as they think will be needed to repair the damage well enough so that it is not immediately apparent. Depending on the quality of the rest of the paint (ie, if it's all very faded) they might have to spring for a full job simply because it can't be properly blended.

Otherwise, if you work with your shop, they may be able to paint the whole car for you for the same price or with a little bit of a kick-in of your own, but you won't get the same quality you're probably looking for.

Anyway, talk to your shop, see what they can do for you. If you're definitely going to repaint the car eventually, you'd might as well try and get it all done now, even if you have to kick in a couple thousand yourself.

Just don't try and do anything illegal, as PhillyDRFT said. You'll likely get denied, or if the claims adjuster is in a bad mood, charged with fraud.

dwprog
12-18-2006, 04:26 PM
yea my paint is kind of faded. im not trying to do anything illegal. i just remember how that one guy so many years ago got his whole car repainted from a scratch on his door.

hobbie2k
12-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Talk to your shop, see what they can do for you. They would rather paint your whole car, too. It means more money for them. So they will try to work with you on it.

PhillyDRFT
12-18-2006, 09:36 PM
They had a shop helping them out on claims, by saying that the impact spidercracked delecate old primer underneeth the basecoat or some trumped up claim like that. Paint NEVER fades unless it is one stage enamel. The clearcoat is what fades and becomes foggy and white over time. Which can be remedied with wetsanding and buffing depending on how much clear coat is left. Also if the entirety of your paint is damaged or aged the insurance company will most likely go with the "Make You Whole" Policy whereas you went into the accident with lesser than OEM coat so why should they spring for more. Neverthe less if you dont NEED a new paintjob from the accident don't push to squeeze more money out of them on your claim It just makes everyone elses rates go higher when thousands of claims a year magicly cost double the real cost to fix.