PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Honda bias...

hobbie2k
12-17-2006, 06:42 PM
It seems that there's even more anti-Honda bias on this forum than anti-domestic bias. Alot of the same people that make it a point to defend domestics are the first to badmouth fellow-import, Honda. Despite the fact that their reputation for reliability and quality are equal to that of Toyotas, and they are considered even more sporting.

True I see a lot of hacked Hondas, but I also see a lot of hacked Toyotas, and Nissans, and Chevys, and everything else.

Also, people keep saying that they're flimsy, but my Accord was quite tough, well-built, handled well, still ran strong after 240,000mi. Also, any engine that can reliably rev to 8-9k is a strong engine.

Most will probably say it's the culture they hate, but I've met more than a few Honda guys who were friendly, smart, and knew what they were talking about. In sharp contrast to some of the posts I read in the recent Alltrac.com sucks thread.

I'm seriously thinking of trying to find another 92-93 Accord Wagon as an H22a project car. Or a '91 Camry wagon 3sfe for a 3sgte swap.

Rix86
12-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Umm....
what's the point?
not trying to be a dick, but couldn't this have gone on the domestic thread?
I like honda's... the rear wheel drive ones.
the problem is not the car, but as you said, the "culture".
and that term should be used very loosely for MOST of the honda crowd.
big wings, big wheels, big body kits, that are all stupid imitations of REAL race cars.
1.75 inch exhaust dumping onto a 3 inch coffee can muffler that makes the whole thing sound like a bumble bee on crack.
unpainted and/or busted up and/or ill fitting and/or mis-matched and/or just plain stupid looking "body kits", excessively lowered ride height and crappy ebay coilovers without even resettting the alignment
and on and on and on.
THAT's why I have a dislike for honda's.

Cavanagh
12-17-2006, 08:32 PM
I like some Hondas. Just, domestic owners automatically call you a ricer if you own a car thats not a v8 or made in america. That is what pisses me off. And yes, some people have really messed up hondas name/image with all that crap, but they still do make some good, quick cars with mad aftermarket support.

hyoctane
12-18-2006, 04:06 PM
I consider Honda as the parent company that ignited the "sport compact" culture. Sure there were many companies before them that had this genre of vehicle, but Honda made them more main stream. I personally have a soft spot for Honda... I had an '88 CRX planned for a swap (but had to sell b/c my wife and I bought a new home). My wife owns a '00 Civic that has been a great car. Granted there are a lot of sticker racers out there, but thatís a given with any car culture... Besides, look at the kind of parts you bought for your car when you first fell into the sport compact scene. Honda disserves as much respect as Toyota / Nissan / Mazda etc. IMO.

2kSnakEater
12-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda's have always been a good car, but Ricer's and lowlifes have killed that car brand.

whats the most stolen car in America?

The CCC reports the ten most stolen vehicles for 2005 are as follows:

1. 2001 BMW M Roadster
2. 1998 Acura Integra
3. 2004 Mercury Marauder
4. 1999 Acura Integra
5. 1995 Acura Integra
6. 2002 Audi S4
7. 1996 Acura Integra
8. 1997 Acura Integra
9. 2001 Acura Integra
10. 2000 Jaguar XJR

TheNefariousOne
12-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Something seems off about that list...

Most of the cars on there, other than the Integra, are either A. uber expensive and thus rarer or B. limited production and thus rarer.

I would think that a car like the Camry would be stolen more just because of the sheer number of them. Maybe I'm wrong though...

ciento44
12-18-2006, 09:11 PM
I <3 Hondas.

There's a clean-ass red EF hatch without a speck of rust, full suspension out here for sale for $2500. I'm idly trying to get him to trade me for the GT.

But i'm with Rix. I hate the majority of the culture.

A properly done Honda is a force to be reckoned with. A fart cannon auto honda is something to be laughed at, and hated.

MCcelica
12-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Hondas are what every car is. A car. Some of them are reliable, some are not. The line that divides those two catagories is the owners, just like any other car. My lady has a 00 civic si which is sitting up in a parking lot at a mechanic shop waiting for ANOTHER rebuild atm. The engine had approximatly 125k on it before the first rebuild. Ever since we got it we've babied it and took exquisit care of it, but that did not make up for the previous owner. Judging from the looks of the internals during the first rebuild it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that the previous owner MUST have gone for a drag launch at every red light, and thought it'd be cute to change the oil every 10-25k miles. We took care of it properly after the first rebuild, it's just that the shop that did the rebuild did a shitty job. But to say that it was unrelaible is a blatent misjudgement. We knew it had oil consumption problems and had scheduled it for its first rebuild 3 months in advance because the shop was booked three months solid. That little civic made it 2 months and 29 days in its terrible shape as a daily driver that went at least 60 miles a day. Honestly, I'm not sure if my car could have hacked it with that. I love my car. I hate the honda ricer culture. Those are the only two things besides being in debt up to my ass that are keeping me from buying a honda.

burnyd
12-18-2006, 09:42 PM
not all honda owners are r-tards

Rix86
12-18-2006, 10:01 PM
not all honda owners are r-tards
Very true.
there are some seriously classy and well built (and fast as fuck) examples out there.
there just seem to be SO MANY of the other type.
same with alot of other cars though.

burnyd
12-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Very true.
there are some seriously classy and well built (and fast as fuck) examples out there.
there just seem to be SO MANY of the other type.
same with alot of other cars though.

right, but making fun of hondas is so 3 years ago.. havent seen a huge wing or eurotails in a while.

But the reason alot more hondas are riced out has alot to do with handymedowns from me and dad that are given to r-tards then they get a 20 dollar muffler and this pretty much opens the floodgates... toyotas and nissans generally hold their value and priced alot more so there usually not in the hands of 16 year old high school kids who want race cars.

hobbie2k
12-19-2006, 01:01 AM
Something seems off about that list...

Most of the cars on there, other than the Integra, are either A. uber expensive and thus rarer or B. limited production and thus rarer.

I would think that a car like the Camry would be stolen more just because of the sheer number of them. Maybe I'm wrong though...

That's probably a per capita rating. I've heard in Russia there are 3 times as many reports of stolen Mitsubishi Evos than there are registered Evos.

Hookecho
12-19-2006, 03:12 AM
yeah, hondas do have a bad rice rep but mainly because the uninformed tend to follow the masses. hondas are popular, cheap, and a dime a dozen. if 3 of 5 hondas are riced out with fart cans, wings, butchered coil springs, & stickers then the uninformed tuner wannabe's see that and follow suit because they haven't learned any better yet. also, because they're cheap mods. personally, i don't think much about it anymore. i would rather see honda rice over kia or saturn rice any day!

as for my crx si. other than the suspension upgrades it has it will always stay in its stock form. it is the funnest car i have ever owned and i plan on having until i'm dead or wreck it.

2kSnakEater
12-19-2006, 03:33 AM
So, the way someone sets up there car makes them a low life?

where the hell did you get that from? take your head out of your ass and read what I said then coment. The way someone sets up their car does NOT make them a lowlife, Thiefs are lowlifes and thiefs like the Honda brand more than anything. Thiefs wouldnt steal Hondas if people with Hondas wouldnt buy stolen parts, but see thats the thing, alot of people (not all) with hondas ARE thiefs themselves.

Cavanagh
12-19-2006, 03:41 AM
My bad :)

Rix86
12-19-2006, 04:40 AM
I still laugh at them.
there are a few nice ef? civics floating around here nowadays.
and a whole shitload of rice mobiles.

mar_phi6
12-19-2006, 04:56 AM
Honda are good cars they just have more parts out there compared to our celica . I drive a celica but its down right now waiting for my order on my ignition key but i also mention about b20a motors on here also. there nothing bad about toyotas and hondas . Both good company just look at there history!

Chris
12-19-2006, 05:37 AM
I respect Civics in that they can be made to go fast as hell, but like other people said I get annoyed by the culture, the 16 year olds who run red lights and race constantly (almost killing others) while blasting super loud music that they feel we all need to hear.

I'm in no way saying all Civic owners are like this, I know they aren't, and hell, half the Celicas I see have a fart can on them, but for ever riced out celica I run into I see 3 riced out civics, mostly driven by 16 year old kids who can't drive and show no respect for their car by hot rodding the hell out of even long after it puts out blue smoke.

burnyd
12-19-2006, 06:52 AM
I think my car makes more torque at idle than most hondas do in vtec.

MCcelica
12-19-2006, 08:15 AM
...mostly driven by 16 year old kids who can't drive and show no respect for their car by hot rodding the hell out of even long after it puts out blue smoke.

This is why I would love to watch someone steal my girls civic, cause then the joke would be on them. hahaha.

hobbie2k
12-19-2006, 04:22 PM
I am glad to see that most people on here have an open mind. I, also, am not a fan of a large part of the culture, and I cringe everytime I see a beat-up, riced Civic or Accord, not because I think the cars, in themselves, are crap, but because the owners have taken a vehicle with potential, and turned it into crap. I really liked my Honda, and I want another one, but this time I will get around to improving it (hopefully :hehe:).

At the same time, though, I have to admit that when I was 16-17, I was looking at buying a set of X-type lights and a park bench for my 240SX. I also wanted an SR20DET swap, but I didn't know enough at the time to be able fathom how to go about getting the swap. It was something that I knew existed, but it was out of reach, because my knowledge of mechanics, and the whole modification process wasn't up to the task. So instead, I focused on what I could do, a wing and taillights. Fortunately, neither of them ever materialised (mostly because I didn't have any money) and I avoided getting pulled in by the ricer crowd.

Now I know better, and I think it will be the same with a lot of the 16 year old ricer kids you're seeing, so rather than look down on them and dismiss them, I like to like to make an effort to educate and inspire them. Those with humility will listen, and be better for it, those without humility (which is, unfortunately, most people) will dismiss your advice for fear of feeling inferior, and will be inferior as a result. A wise man will heed wisdom, no matter from whence it comes.

I suppose a lot of this attitude comes from the stereotypes, as well. While one can't rely on a stereotype to give one an accurate viewpoint, one must realize that there is a reason stereotypes exist. Skaters are often considered thieves, while soccer moms are considered upstanding and honest. Why? Because there is a disproportionally larger number of thieves among skaters than soccer moms, but that does not mean that all (or even most) skaters are thieves, and that also does not mean that all soccer moms are upstanding or honest. I've seen some very bitchy soccer mom types.

What am I talking about again?

trah
12-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I agree with you guys on how people messed up the honda culture but I stay true to Honda. It does depend on the person on how they want to make it and most of them out there ruin the image of honda. I always keep my car either stock or JDM look. with only a lip and drop with eibach. I had from 4runners to civic and etc... and overall i drive a 90 accord now with the stock motor running 10psi on a 14b setup with stock internals and it drives 100 miles a day and hasn't craped out on me yet :bigthumbu I'm not all into body kits only if the integrated a jdm lip on it lol still STOCK haha well thats my opinion and yeah ima upgrade to a big 16g and get some arias pistons to lower my comp and 15psi here i come LOL :bigthumbu

90celicaGTX
12-22-2006, 03:21 AM
hondas can be fast if u know wut ur doing.

just all the kids that drive them are tards..

they like to act fast as u all know..

a B16 with gsr head and all that shit gives a alltrac a run for it money, trust me i know it was a close race. it was a freeway run so i kindof suxed cuz of my boost drop.. :Ban1: