PDA

View Full Version : B20A Honda Engine

mar_phi6
12-17-2006, 05:12 AM
hey guys i got a question regarding on a B20A engine from honda . B20a is swap to an 88 prelude and we took it to a smog and wont pass. Its running rich , do u guys know what cause it not to pass and why is it running rich and can I do to make it pass smog. I recently changed oil , replace spark plugs and clean the throttle body.

91 celica st
12-17-2006, 05:31 AM
waht was high? the n0?

2kSnakEater
12-17-2006, 06:04 AM
last I checked this was CelicaTech, not mad tyte jdm drifto Hunduh tceh.

scan for codes and go from there.

Rix86
12-17-2006, 08:22 AM

non-dickhead translation: you might have better luck on a honda specific forum. :lolhittin

85gtsblackman
12-17-2006, 12:18 PM
possibly needs o2 sensor?

advance the timing a lil bit that should lean things out

mar_phi6
12-17-2006, 06:44 PM
im going to take a look at the o2 sensor today when i get a chance and see what the timing is at. If i retard the timing it should run lean or the other way around?

hobbie2k
12-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Advance the timing to lean it

Cavanagh
12-17-2006, 08:34 PM

God you truly are ignorant.

This also isnt, i compare every car on here to my redneck-ass Trans Am. I know you have asked questions about or talk about it, so back off him just cause his friend owns a Honda.

evolution
12-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Give the car a full tuneup, and run a can of seafoam through the intake. have him take the car on the highway for about 30 min right before he takes it in for testing again

Fuelish
12-17-2006, 10:43 PM
......so back off him just cause his friend owns a Honda. Ummmm, maybe I joined the thread late, but I see no mention of it being a "friend's" Honda ...... not that I'm disagreeing with your sentiment - no need for hatin', folks - cars are cars, one way or another, in most aspects ;)
No emmissions testing here in Blount County TN, so....sorry, no help here...
good luck sortin' it all out :cool:

wizzards581
12-18-2006, 03:29 AM
www.honda-tech.com

is ur best friend.

Cavanagh
12-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Ummmm, maybe I joined the thread late, but I see no mention of it being a "friend's" Honda ...... not that I'm disagreeing with your sentiment - no need for hatin', folks - cars are cars, one way or another, in most aspects ;)
No emmissions testing here in Blount County TN, so....sorry, no help here...
good luck sortin' it all out :cool:

Oh yea, my bad, but still....Theres no need to be a D-Bag.

2kSnakEater
12-18-2006, 03:41 AM
sorry, I was fucking with the Bravada, 208,000 miles havent been good to the Tranny lines and I was frustrated.

too bad the name of the site is CelicaTech since both the owner, admins, and members have such a knoledge and maturity level that this would be a great site for anything with an engine.

I wish you luck but this is the wrong site to ask something as complicated as a Honda swap, if the car was stock I think we could maybe answer your questions.

again sorry for being an ass.

mar_phi6
12-18-2006, 03:51 AM
just wanted to post here to see if any of u guys know about hondas . I dont really know about honda anyways myself i always grew up with toyotas.

Dr.Auto
12-18-2006, 04:35 AM
too bad the name of the site is CelicaTech since both the owner, admins, and members have such a knoledge and maturity level that this would be a great site for anything with an engine.

I wish you luck but this is the wrong site to ask something as complicated as a Honda swap, if the car was stock I think we could maybe answer your questions.
Dang man........ Is their a reason you try so hard to be a prick? Or is that just you?......cause if that's the case I'd hate to be an enemy.

I have 10 times more experiance with Honda swaps than I do with Toyota swaps. Key word......SWAPS. I've personally swaped a few dozen honda's. But on the down side........we have no emmissions so I don't pay too much attention to emmissions. But if you let us know what exact emmission you're having problems with we might be able to help.

As far as the whole Honduh mentality goes.........dang people. Yes there are thousands of stupid Honda's and owners. But there are sick fast Honda's out there too. One's that would eat up Trans ams for breakfast lunch and dinner and still drive home from the track and pass the gas station without stopping. I don't like the Fast a furious bad name for import car stuff either. But you have to admit, sometimes it opens the door for all sorts of surprise when the "rice boy" that pulls up next to you eats you up with his stock lookin civic hatch. I don't have a Honda just because every idiot out there has one. They have great potential and should have alot more respect. Here at 3500ft altitude a few guys are running 13-12 second 1/4 mile times......that's not too bad. And they drive the car to the track. A 91 civic hatch holds the record here at the black otter hill climb for the licence plate cars. And I know that car is just wicked because I've worked on it.........B20 with V-TEC and just recently (after repeatably setting the record a few years in a row) a super charger.......it's a handfull to drive but hey, it sure is fun screwing with the redneck muscle car guys with it.......pisses them off to no end on the street. Even if you can't beat them in a straight line (doesnt happen very often) but just toss a few turns at them and they seam to dissapear in the rearview somewhere.

Whatever...........everyone has their likes and dislikes. I work with a guy that races dukes of hazard cars in the bump and run. I help him come up with ideas to modify suspension and make it go faster but I don't get into that stuff personally. We pick on each other all the time about each others stuff but we also have a mutual respect for what we do.

Anyways on topic and done trying to stand up for imports.........Post some more info on the Emmissions test and what teh specs were.

Cavanagh
12-18-2006, 04:52 AM
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

hobbie2k
12-18-2006, 05:54 AM
sorry, I was fucking with the Bravada, 208,000 miles havent been good to the Tranny lines and I was frustrated.

again sorry for being an ass.

I actually felt this post was quite mature of snake. I was surprised, because that's how I myself feel. It's probably why I stick around here, even though I don't own a Toyota anymore. Also, while we may not have a whole lot of personal experience with his particular engine, all engines run on the same basic principles, so a technique that works for a 3sge will likely work similarly for a B20a. Therefore, our recommendations are applicable, they just might not be quite as effective or detailed as those you could get from a Honda site.

PhillyDRFT
12-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Run the ECU for codes is a good first step. But depending on what ECU your using I don't know what splicing is done from the old harness to the new one. So that could make your ECU throw a false code or it could be geting bad signals from a number of sensors depending on where you got the engine from in the first place. was it from an engine wholesaler, junkyard special, someones wreck? Definately go thru the 02 sensor. I posted up a DIY in custom fab about making a false o2 sensor so that you can try and lean the engine out that way narrowing it down if it is the 02 sensor or atleast tweaking it enough so you can pass emissions and buy you more time to figure the situation out. Good luck with it.

Fuelish
12-18-2006, 06:31 AM
I actually felt this post was quite mature of snake. I was surprised, because that's how I myself feel. It's probably why I stick around here, even though I don't own a Toyota anymore. Also, while we may not have a whole lot of personal experience with his particular engine, all engines run on the same basic principles, so a technique that works for a 3sge will likely work similarly for a B20a. Therefore, our recommendations are applicable, they just might not be quite as effective as those you could get from a Honda site.Indeed :cool: