PDA

View Full Version : St215 in a st165

trah
12-16-2006, 12:53 AM
hmm i was wondering how much more work is it to get a st215 to work on my st165. I mean i know how hard it is to make the st165 to st185 to work (bunch of wiring) I just want you guys opinion since i can pick up a St215 Caldina Frontclip for $2000 (free shipping) lol. Would it be worth it or would it be just a big ass headache. Let me kno guys thanks in advance....

ciento44
12-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Bigass headache.

Wiring, and it's laid out differently so i'm not even sure that it would fit into an ST165. There's a guy over on At.net that put one in his ST185, then slapped a GT42R on it. But i'm assuming that's not something you're interested in.

The ignition setup is completely different (albeit superior in every way), the intake manifold is really different (Turbo permanently attached, if i remember correctly) and all sorts of other weird things. It's also a top mount air to air intercooler, so you'd either have to do a w2a converion, or do some hood work, or do a front mount.

ST185 is probably the best way to go, to be honest. Most documented swap, st185 has the biggest aftermarket, and is more friendly later on.

smog7
12-16-2006, 01:31 AM
St215 Caldina Frontclip for $2000??????? thats such a freaken deal. i would just sell the thing.

Luni
12-16-2006, 01:55 AM
It isnt a deal. It isnt worth it. You cannot I REPEAT CANNOT adapt the wiring.

Youd need the ENTIRE WIRING HARNESS.. UNCUT... And the ECU, and a full diagram.

If you wanted to do that swap, and you wanted to make it cost friendly, then just assume you will be using a standalone and have it wired accordingly.

Honestly I still think the ST205 clip, cost per dollar, is the best way to go.

To upgrade a Gen2 motor to Gen3 specs costs way over 1k. The price between the 2 is right around 1k difference. Maybe slightly more.

Wiring diagrams aplenty, and it isnt such a mythical swap anymore. Lots of people have Gen3 swaps now.

trah
12-16-2006, 05:43 PM
reason why i am thinking about this st215 front clip wire harness and ecu and etc included for 2k since its here in texas locally. Its pretty hard to find a st185 front clip anyway here in the states usually in canada and shipping is like 600 bucks or more. 1900 for the clip then shipping lol then all the things you need for the motor timing belt arp head bolts 3puck clutch and etc.... prolly be around 3k lol. Im looking for something thats inexpensive while not modding it at all. I'm more of the stock performer lol. But thanks for the many opinions on here.

Futant3
12-17-2006, 01:31 AM
where abouts in Texas?

pitcelica
12-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi, I got a 3sgte ST215 4thgen. I buy the engine only without the ecu and cut wire harness. So, I buy a Megasquirt ECU. It's an ECU that you build yourself. I got it assembled and I buy it with a universal wire harness for only 500$USD. The only thing that I need to do is to connect the wires to the necessary sensor (IAT, CLT, O2, TPS, MAP, etc.) The problem is the stock ignition is Coil-on-plug. That mean no more distributor. There is one coil by spark plug. The ignition timing is set by two VR sensor and a trigger wheel on the crankshaft pulley. And you need the stock ecu to make it work with stock elements. I'm making a big file to put on Celicatech.com and Alltrac.net forums that explain difference between 4th gen 3sgte and other gen because I can see that there is a lot of information but some of these are only rumors. I'll finish this week and post it. SO dont buy the clip without reading my file. It will help you, I'm certain.

Thanks

Sam

burnyd
12-19-2006, 04:09 PM
It isnt a deal. It isnt worth it. You cannot I REPEAT CANNOT adapt the wiring.

Youd need the ENTIRE WIRING HARNESS.. UNCUT... And the ECU, and a full diagram.

If you wanted to do that swap, and you wanted to make it cost friendly, then just assume you will be using a standalone and have it wired accordingly.

Honestly I still think the ST205 clip, cost per dollar, is the best way to go.

To upgrade a Gen2 motor to Gen3 specs costs way over 1k. The price between the 2 is right around 1k difference. Maybe slightly more.

Wiring diagrams aplenty, and it isnt such a mythical swap anymore. Lots of people have Gen3 swaps now.

st205 is what you want to grasp.. its map its w2a..it has a great stock turbo.. I meen honestly its ALOT better and wiring is pretty simple...

91 celica st
12-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi, I got a 3sgte ST215 4thgen. I buy the engine only without the ecu and cut wire harness. So, I buy a Megasquirt ECU. It's an ECU that you build yourself. I got it assembled and I buy it with a universal wire harness for only 500$USD. The only thing that I need to do is to connect the wires to the necessary sensor (IAT, CLT, O2, TPS, MAP, etc.) The problem is the stock ignition is Coil-on-plug. That mean no more distributor. There is one coil by spark plug. The ignition timing is set by two VR sensor and a trigger wheel on the crankshaft pulley. And you need the stock ecu to make it work with stock elements. I'm making a big file to put on Celicatech.com and Alltrac.net forums that explain difference between 4th gen 3sgte and other gen because I can see that there is a lot of information but some of these are only rumors. I'll finish this week and post it. SO dont buy the clip without reading my file. It will help you, I'm certain.

Thanks

Sam
megasquirt utilizes the stock wiring harness. you will still need the harness from the st215 for it to work. the only things u dont need is the map, iat, and clt. you still need tha stock harness for the o2, TPS, and everything else

Edit: i see u have it but its cut. u will still need to fix it an adapt it.

pitcelica
12-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Because I got a cut wire harness and all stock sensors and connectors, doing a new wire harness with the Megasquirt universal wire harness is the fastest way to go. All the wires are labeled, I simply connect them into the right sensor connector and everything is fine. Its really easier than trying to get a ST215 wiring diagram, trying to understand it etc. It may cost a little more (Megasquirt + wire harness = 550$) but because no ECU comes with the engine, I have the engine and auto tranny for 1200 $CAN. It's a deal. And I can control my fuel table and ignition table. A big advantage for me.

Thanks

Pitcelica

GT4SOM
12-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Because I got a cut wire harness and all stock sensors and connectors, doing a new wire harness with the Megasquirt universal wire harness is the fastest way to go. All the wires are labeled, I simply connect them into the right sensor connector and everything is fine. Its really easier than trying to get a ST215 wiring diagram, trying to understand it etc. It may cost a little more (Megasquirt + wire harness = 550$) but because no ECU comes with the engine, I have the engine and auto tranny for 1200 $CAN. It's a deal. And I can control my fuel table and ignition table. A big advantage for me.

Thanks

Pitcelica

intresting, can you post any pictures, info etc.. about your swap?

KoreanJoey
12-26-2006, 11:15 PM
megasquirt utilizes the stock wiring harness. you will still need the harness from the st215 for it to work. the only things u dont need is the map, iat, and clt. you still need tha stock harness for the o2, TPS, and everything else

Edit: i see u have it but its cut. u will still need to fix it an adapt it.

If you have the sensor plugs (if you don't find something similar from another Toyota) you DON'T need the stock wiring harness for the Megasquirt. Plain and simple.

91 celica st
12-27-2006, 03:00 AM
^thats y i said he needed the harness.....

Dr Tweak
12-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Wiring the ST215 up isn't difficult at all... if you send the harness to me. I've done them before and I'd be happy to build another plug and play harness. Other than that, the swap is pretty much like any 3SGTE :)

$2000 and free shipping for the 260hp ST215 engine isn't bad. :)

-Doc

FjSX
01-07-2007, 11:16 PM
I just wired up a st205 in my St165 GTS and it was a bit*h!!!!!! I got it running and now the heater dosent work. But that is another session. I think that if you got consistant mode of transportation and the money then go for it because that wiring job will KILL U!!!! and take much longer that you'd expect