PDA

View Full Version : Alternator

VikingJZ
12-12-2006, 02:20 AM
I have an extra alternator laying in my basement that I want to rebuild. I asked up town at the Autozone and they said they can get the bushin kit for it. What else should I rebuild on it? It's an original Denso alternator, so I want to keep it.

Any places online that you've found a kit?

Slider
12-12-2006, 05:33 AM
You can get the brushes from Toyota.

david in germany
12-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Does it spin free/quiet? if so then just put a new pair of brushes in it. If not you will probably have a headach when done. As long as the berrings are good then it is a cheap rebuild.
One tip when doing it though. when you get the rear cover off there are philips screws holding everything else in. Get a screw driver that is snug to fit and tap it into the screw lightly before trying to unscrew them if it is the right size it will stick in the screw and you will not strip them when trying to get them out. brushes are heald in with 2 screws and take about 1-2 minutes to swap out :)

VikingJZ
12-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Awesome! I just would assume to do the bearings as well. I have an ENTIRE month off before I go back to school (after Thursday finals) and I would like to do that.

As far as I know, that's really all that happens when an alternator is remanufactured, correct?

If not, what else can I do? This alternator is from a 1992 5SFE. It was quite the good find for ten bucks, along with a starter as well.

VikingJZ
12-13-2006, 12:00 AM
I guess the same goes for the Nissan I'm going to buy.

My general procedure for this car is to check the battery, starter, and alternator.

If I can't get it to start, I'll take the starter out and rebuild it...same with the alternator.

What's the most common way to rebuild both?

90celicaGTX
12-14-2006, 07:19 AM
take it to a rebuild shop...

i payed 80 for it.. the dude even cleand the mutha for me...dont know wut he did but it has a crome finsh to it!