PDA

View Full Version : 7th gen info

ty_44_69
12-11-2006, 12:40 AM
I might be looking into getting a 7th gen, I need something a little more comfortable for the long highway drives all the time, and the 91 is getting up there. I'm looking GT-S because I want 6spd. so I can cruise along and get good mileage. I think only 2003 up have 6spd is that correct?

Anything else I should look for?

partyball
12-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Not 100% sure but i think 2001 and up GTS have six speeds. Great little car though. I woulda got one if they werent so expensive when i bought my car.

VikingJZ
12-11-2006, 12:47 AM
The six-speed transmission came in the GT-S from 2000-2006.

Here is a link to a 2000 for reference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Showcase-GT-S-OverLoaded-Lambo-Doors-Speaker-System-sun_W0QQitemZ290059782439QQihZ019QQcategoryZ15288Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ciento44
12-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Make sure it has all documentation of even oil changes, if possible. These cars have a tendency to burn oil, so obviously through neglect, a good number of them have probably been run without oil.

Other than that, i can't really think of any issues with them.

ty_44_69
12-11-2006, 08:56 PM
I found one on autotrader near by me in Toronto. It is listed at:
$19,995 WOW! YELLOW!
Comment: 6 spd. manual, leather, sunroof, p/group, ABS, alloys, spoiler, fog lights, FWD, one owner rare GT-S. 65,000 km
I don't really care for yellow, but we'll see how they work on the price.
I offered them $15k. I wasn't really being serious but they seem like they want to get rid of it. I actually don't plan on getting it, but hey if it's a good deal it's hard to pass up.

Morwan
12-11-2006, 11:44 PM
They had a problem with the the lift bolts, but you can get Toyota to fix it for free.

Ricers kept mis-shifting and blowing up the engines, so 2002 and up had longer throws and a lower revlimiter.

ciento44
12-12-2006, 12:01 AM
They had a problem with the the lift bolts, but you can get Toyota to fix it for free.

Ricers kept mis-shifting and blowing up the engines, so 2002 and up had longer throws and a lower revlimiter.

As well as throttle-by-wire. :(

Making it damn near impossible to tune.

ty_44_69
12-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Someone wanna give me tips on how to talk an old sales guy down in price? If I were to buy it I should be able to get a better deal at this time of year though because of the car correct?

ciento44
12-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Someone wanna give me tips on how to talk an old sales guy down in price? If I were to buy it I should be able to get a better deal at this time of year though because of the car correct?

Nitpick the car... seriously... ANYTHING wrong with it, point it out. Never look impressed with the car.

Do some research, see what KBB says about the car, see what they're going for at other fairly local dealerships.

Also what i found works.... people trying to sell Celicas really HATE it when he customer mentions that he found a used WRX for cheaper.... play that card if you can justify it. :hehe:

If he starts bullshitting you, naming outrageously expensives prices, and you can't get him down, then get strong with him. Tell him flat out what you are willing to pay, and that if he can't get close to that, then you're both wasting your time.

I talked the guy trying to get me the Mazdaspeed Miata down from $26k to $20.5k with a $1000 downpayment, and just under $400 a month payment. Don't let yourself fall in love with the car. It's a piece of metal, and you're trying to get a good deal and rape the salesperson over it.

VikingJZ
12-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Tell them that you found a 2004 for $10,000 CDN. I can be the guy that owns it.

:)

ty_44_69
12-12-2006, 03:28 AM
ciento44 thanks I'll try that. Should I look at the tire wear, paint chips, like any imperfection at all?
I'll bring up Acura RSX Type S. Because they have 20 more HP, and you can find them for around the same price. And who wants someone switching over to the axis of evil?

Cavanagh
12-12-2006, 03:39 AM
I like them(RSX-S), and they have a good aftermarket support. Its all up to you and what you want.

ciento44
12-12-2006, 04:12 AM
ciento44 thanks I'll try that. Should I look at the tire wear, paint chips, like any imperfection at all?
I'll bring up Acura RSX Type S. Because they have 20 more HP, and you can find them for around the same price. And who wants someone switching over to the axis of evil?

Tire wear may be a bit excessive, unless they have only like a quarter of their life remaining, and isn't really a big deal.

Paint chips, sure, go for it. Worst case scenario, they may offer to do a touch up for you, which is always nice.

Interior wear, go for it... That'll probably touch a nerve, because your average salesman doesn't know much about the car other than that it "has a nice interior." :P

Yeah, bring up the RSX, WRX, or even possibly Civic Si. You can find a Civic Si for WAY cheaper, and it's a fairly comparable car. Slower, but still has that nice handling. :)

Morwan
12-13-2006, 05:42 AM
The RSX-S' extra power is canceled out by its extra weight, it's 200 pounds heavier than the GT-S. It does have a much better aftermarket, however.

Rix86
12-13-2006, 07:34 AM
7th gen for long drives....
you can't see outta the damn things.

helipos
12-13-2006, 08:44 AM
make sure your not taller than 6' 3"

Bent neck sux

KoreanJoey
12-13-2006, 11:23 AM
7th gen for long drives....
you can't see outta the damn things.

Celicas have been bad about that as long as I can tell... 3rd-4th-5th-(don't know about 6th) and now I guess the 7th gens...

2kSnakEater
12-13-2006, 04:22 PM
I like the 7th gens, my only complaint is the 6 speed tranny sucks, its 1-5 gears are like your current 1-4 and the 6th gear is barely an overdrive.

ty_44_69
12-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Oh really, I was hoping 6th gear would knock the rpms way down for the long highway drives. The thing that kills me about my celica is the seats. I already have lower back problems then sitting in it just makes them worse. When I sit in the mr2 seats it's like heaven. The seats in my dads 07 camry XLE are comfortable as hell, but you slide around too much (for fat people lol), the seats in the RX330 are very nice too. I would take the MR2 seats any day because of the side wall support. I have only ever sat in a 7th gen once, I really hope the seats are nice and comfortable, they look to be anyway.

ciento44
12-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Put 1992-1993 Integra GSR seats in your Celica. Talk about AWESOME seats with HUGE adjustable side bolsters...

I want a pair so bad.

85gtsblackman
12-13-2006, 11:45 PM
id say get a restored 3rd gen gts, its the 2nd most comfy 2dr car ive owned, next to a 84 cutlass coupe

how the hell can u not see out of a ra65? , i do agree seeing out of the 7th gen sucks

KoreanJoey
12-13-2006, 11:54 PM
id say get a restored 3rd gen gts, its the 2nd most comfy 2dr car ive owned, next to a 84 cutlass coupe

how the hell can u not see out of a ra65? , i do agree seeing out of the 7th gen sucks
I'm short.

2kSnakEater
12-14-2006, 12:52 AM
if you want something with an awesome manual tranny with an overdrive get anything with a T56, ie 93-02 Camaro/Firebird, any Viper, and the 03-04 Mustang Cobra. the 5th gear is a normal overdrive and the 6th gear is a double overdrive and at .49 its a damm good overdrive.

KoreanJoey
12-14-2006, 01:12 AM
Shorter gear is more bettererererer. :) I like acceleration more than long gears... that is unless it's a big engine (like firebird/camaro).

Cavanagh
12-14-2006, 02:41 AM
if you want something with an awesome manual tranny with an overdrive get anything with a T56, ie 93-02 Camaro/Firebird, any Viper, and the 03-04 Mustang Cobra. the 5th gear is a normal overdrive and the 6th gear is a double overdrive and at .49 its a damm good overdrive.

He wants more than 10MPG too. :) ;) :P J/K

And it seems like 1/2 the noobs in mustangs (not cobras) and what not all seem to rock automatic....which is lame.

ty_44_69
12-14-2006, 03:16 AM
ya well back on topic. I'm not interested in american v8's, or american anything. I don't want a 4 door, I want good gas mileage and I like celica's. I just want a newer model. My job is to drive, I drive on average 12hrs. a week on the highway, sometimes more sometimes less. I need a reliable car with good gas mileage, a little sporty look, so that's why I say 7th gen. Everyone has preferences but mine is what I have mentioned. I did not ask for opinions on different cars I'm just trying to find out more about 7th gen.
Thanks for the input regarding what I have asked though guys.
It's also nice when it's actual experience talking and not just "ohh ya my buddys friends sister had one and she said...."
I think overall 7th gen has everything I'm looking for. I just need to find one at the right price, and then find someone who wants my celica.

Cavanagh
12-14-2006, 03:58 AM
well, whatever you do, good luck and i hope you get a 7GC.

TheNefariousOne
12-14-2006, 05:23 AM
He wants more than 10MPG too. :) ;) :P J/K

And it seems like 1/2 the noobs in mustangs (not cobras) and what not all seem to rock automatic....which is lame.

Those cars mentioned do much better than 10 mpg if driven sanely...most liekly 20+ And unlike imports, domestic automatics are actually GOOD.

ty_44_69
12-14-2006, 11:00 PM
^ Sorry who said anything about automatic. Because I know if we are on topic and talking about what I was asking, then I don't remember anything about auto.

I seem to like the jap auto's. Dad's 95 Camry 440 000 km with the same tranny NO problems. All my buddies who parents had domestic auto's were going to the wreckers to get new tranny's. My friend just had to get one for his Cherokee recently.........sorry did you say domestic automatics were good again????? Ohh did I mention my friend who had to change 2 tranny's on his grand prix. Or my other buddy who had to change his tranny on his cavalier.
name should be changed to "TheUnobservantOne"

Cavanagh
12-15-2006, 12:30 AM
:owned: Ouch. :hehe:

bobbyboy987
12-15-2006, 02:03 AM
ya domestic trannies are horrible from my experiences
my buddy bought a 06 Mustang and the tranny took a dump in less than a month
and he doesnt even drive it hard

did i mention it was an auto :D

TheNefariousOne
12-15-2006, 06:54 AM
^ Sorry who said anything about automatic. Because I know if we are on topic and talking about what I was asking, then I don't remember anything about auto.

I seem to like the jap auto's. Dad's 95 Camry 440 000 km with the same tranny NO problems. All my buddies who parents had domestic auto's were going to the wreckers to get new tranny's. My friend just had to get one for his Cherokee recently.........sorry did you say domestic automatics were good again????? Ohh did I mention my friend who had to change 2 tranny's on his grand prix. Or my other buddy who had to change his tranny on his cavalier.
name should be changed to "TheUnobservantOne"

Uhh, actually Cav said that a lot of domestic owners rock automatics if you read the thread. I was refuting his claim that those cars get 10 mpg (which is untrue), and I just threw in the comment about the automatics.

And if you actually thought a little about what I wrote concerning the transmissions, I was talking about performance wise, since the comment was in reference to performance vehicles. Automatics are preferable to a lot of drivers on domestics since the shifts are more consistent and there's a lot less shock on the drivetrain on hard launches.

But anyways, since my one little refute to what Cav said seems to bother you so much, lets get back on topic.

TheNefariousOne
12-15-2006, 06:55 AM
ya domestic trannies are horrible from my experiences
my buddy bought a 06 Mustang and the tranny took a dump in less than a month
and he doesnt even drive it hard

did i mention it was an auto :D

Dude, come on. Obviously a lemon...no tranmission, no matter how shitty it is, will take a shit in a month unless it's a lemon.

Luni
12-16-2006, 02:06 AM
There were some TSBs on 7th gen Celicas so get the VIN of the car you want to buy and call a local dealer and have them look up the VIN and see if anything has been done.

Get as low of miles one you can find. They are easy to find ones that have been ragged on to hell and back.

Their transmissions are great, the gear ratios are great, theyre fun to drive, however their syncros suck, so if theyve been hammered on the 1-2 shift might be a bit notchy/grindy at high RPMs (even mine with low miles does this if I shift too hard).

They have problems with whats called "lift bolts". They need to be changed. Thats one of the TSBs that should have been performed. If you do get one, make sure it goes into lift. Once you get it, you need to change these things. Ill do a writeup soon on how to do it. Ive amassed quite a bit of data on these things since Ive gotten mine.

Lift should feel very strong once it hits, there is a bit of a deadspot between 5900 and 6100 which is normal, so if youre hitting that spot at like 4th gear, its going to take a bit.

You truly do have to drive it like you stole it and not be afraid to rag on it to get performance out of it. I love mine though. Its a great daily driver.

My car had 57k miles on it, red, leather, power everything, keyless entry, moonroof, every option available. Immaculate condition. It was 11,300 in july. Thats a good price. Use that as an example of how much to or not to pay. Good luck.

RobUpNya
01-19-2011, 01:27 AM
I have a 2002 gts and recently started misfiring! Everytime I bring it in to toyota to have them diagnose the misfire, all they say is that they can't find anything wrong. compression is fine and all that good stuff you want to hear. the check engine light came a few more times later and still they say they can't find anything wrong. I noticed a small ticking sound above the cylinder that was misfiring and yes it is knocking? Makes me wonder how this happened? is there a recall on this model as well?

Smaay
01-20-2011, 05:08 AM
why did you bring up a 5 year old thread that has nothing to do with misfires? i need more info, when have you changed the plugs? make sure you use iridium plugs. post in the 7th gen section