View Full Version : targa top?

slkspd
12-08-2006, 07:23 PM
A friend of mine told me about a targa top for my 99' cobra

are there any for 5th gen celicas

ciento44
12-08-2006, 07:35 PM
It's been done, was a custom job.

Not something i would recommend, either... the body was not designed for targa top, it'll probably be rather dangerous.

2kSnakEater
12-08-2006, 07:56 PM
remember, the F-bodies that came with T-Tops were strengthened in their under body, if you try to targa top your factory hard top Cobra you will feel some body flex. you might to look under a same year cobra convertible and look under the car to see what the difference is between those cars and yours.

KoreanJoey
12-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Doors are a big one too, the convertible doors have extra reinforcement so I'd look into that as well.

Colossus20v
12-08-2006, 10:24 PM
If reinforced properly, I do not see a problem with it. Basically just look at a convertible celica for where the reinforcement is and go byt that. Dont just cut your roof up.

PhillyDRFT
12-09-2006, 02:01 AM
The convertable is reinforced on the A pillers and links the two 1/4 pannels together by bridging them over in the trunk area. The coupe wouldent be a bad idea for the T-top since your 1/4 pannels connect under the rear windshield.

It's a little biger of a venture than it sounds and much more money than its worth for t-tops or Targa tops. because the roof and 1/4 pannels are main structural componants and you will be compromising the integrity of one and relying on stregnthening the other. Don't get me wrong your car isnt going to fall apart wile your driving down the road (given you do good work lol) but if your ever in a major colission you risk serieous injury or even death. You would be safer building it on the convertable frame. The time it would take to get the metal pressed to make box rails that would follow over the roof under the headliner would be time consuming (about 5+ hours of welding/grinding) depending on your welding skill. You could make it so the glass itself is incased in a metal frame that would lock into the roof and square it back off.

Your best bet would be to build a box rail about 2-3inches wide about an inch thick and run it from the middle of your windshield backto the mid back seat, spliting it to meet with the C pillers and using the windshield frame and A pillers for stregnth in the front. I dont know how you would do the geometry to see how you can link your new rail to the C pillers. but that should roughly give you enough stregnth back and fit the T porton of your roof. It's a lot of work but doable depending on your skill level.

cms-gt4
06-21-2008, 04:34 AM
I ran across this pic and remembered this thread.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1227/alltracs0lt.jpg

sooinseo
06-21-2008, 04:38 AM
wowwww gatta say that looks better than i immagined.. i dont like mr2 t top.. personally it looks badd but that looks bad ass.

Shadowlife25
06-21-2008, 04:47 AM
Though I'll never do it, I will admit that I think that targa top 5th gen is sexy as hell.

Cavanagh
06-21-2008, 09:26 AM
99 Cobra? My buddy has one. specs plz.

maxwedge
06-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Clearly there must be lot of youngsters on here. 20-30 years ago you could just walk into the local sunroof/t-top shop or Ziebart and have t-tops or a targa roof added to your car...almost any car, and my guess is they almost never reinforced anything underneath the car. I'm sure some of these places must still be around. They always just cut out a section of roof, usually riveted in a t shaped rienforcement, slapped some trim on and weatherstrip on it, and it was done. T-top the family wagon if you wanted. Also, many factory convertibles and t-top cars were originally coupes that were converted by ASC (american sunroof corporation)http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/a/asc/asc.htm. Many are still done by them...and if you have ever driven a convertible or t-toped mustang, Buick Regal GN, or F-body, that has many hard miles on it, you will notice they are typically very flexible, because as was suggested, it takes a lot of strength out of the body. I drove one fox body mustang that was almost undriveable because it was so fatigued and flexible. You'd step on it hard it steered left, let off, it went hard right. Wasn't the least bit rusty, just shot.

VikingJZ
06-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Sunroof isn't a big deal but doing T-tops or a targa on a car that you want to be performance oriented is NOT a good idea. More so with targas. It drastically reduces the overall regidity of the car, not to mention it would probably handle poorly.

Why do you think convertibles are heavier than their hard top equivalent? Because they make up for the lack of a roof with bracing and added materials.

I've seen a few Z28's or T/A's that had monster numbers and flexed the chassis from the t bar roof.