View Full Version : Emergency: 91 Celica Keys STUCK in ignition, car will not start now

01-24-2005, 05:30 AM
I am writing on behalf of my little brother who has a 91 Celica. His car is in Fargo ND and obviously it has been rather cold there for a few days, but really not the kind of cold that should completely make the key freeze like this.

The following have been tried.
1. jiggling the crap out of it, shaking the steering wheel.

2. lubricant/de-icer combination , not seeming to work.

It would seem that the the tumblers must just be completely worn out or something like that.

I guess i'm looking for alternatives, anything that can be done just to get the kid's car running.

If any of you have wiring diagrams, any possible ways of getting the keys out beyond the aforementioned methods, please post them.
As a last resort, any possible ways of starting the car without the keys I'd really appreciate it.

Please, any thoughts. I think what we may end up doing is getting parts from a junkyard and replacing it.

01-24-2005, 05:57 AM
Me and my friends....Target parking lot....

Friend had a 95 civic. wrecked it. kept key on keychain.

Bought a 98 civic. key on same keychain. key looked almost exactly the same.

other friend jumped in the car first w/ the keys and jammed the old civic key into the ignition and started the car.....

yes i know, somehow started.

the key was slightly different which locked the last dimple into the cylinder. i forgot the key term.

we tried everything.

remembered one of our friends that had passed. his mom owned a locksmithing company.

called her up.

after some advice and A LOT of wd-40. we got the key out w/ some jiggling.

saved him 170$ fix.

01-24-2005, 06:47 AM
Yep! Giant size WD-40 and shake and vibrate it like mad. I had an olds that the key would stick. It was in the steering coloumn though not the dash like my Celica.

01-24-2005, 07:32 AM
have you tried getting it out by poking up behind the dash?

01-24-2005, 12:32 PM
I some how opend my sisters explorer door with a toyota key.. :laugh:

01-24-2005, 05:07 PM
If the key will turn but just not come out, you can remove the cylinder. That will make it alot easier to get out. The key has to be in the 'accessory' position to remove the cylinder.

On a side note, a while ago (94-95) my parents had 2 ford tauruses, a 91 SHO, and 93 wagon. They keys to either would work to open and start both but then you couldn't get em out... pain in the ass since they were identical.

01-24-2005, 05:14 PM
I'd try WD-40, even though de-icer didn't work. If the cylinder is actually frozen stuck, take a lighter to your key, heat it up, and stick it in the cylinder (do it repeatedly) so that the heat will melt the ice.

01-24-2005, 05:55 PM
i know w/ the ford probes from like 92-94 theyre were only 3 key styles made and you have a one in 3 chance of opening a dif probe w/ your key if you have one...also i know w/ alrams and whatnot the same shit happens my ex had a chevy and at work she opened and started a plymouth van w/ her remote when she unlocked hers

back to the question though..id say ALOT of wd40 and jiggling just dont break the key off...hell i drove my corolla and my celica w/ bent keys for a long time (someone lost my spares ) and after you get the key out spray the hell out of it w/ wd-40 to insure this wont happen again

01-24-2005, 06:55 PM
If the wheel is turned to the right angle and "resting" on the steering lock, you can't get the key to turn either. This is hard to explain...but wiggle the key while turning the steering wheel the few degrees that are allowed by the lock.

01-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will post back when we have a resolution to this issue.

Hopefully today .........

if anyone else has some thoughts, continue to post, everything is helpful.

01-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Dad called locksmith, they stated don't use WD-40 because it "gunks it up". Told him to jiggle the steering wheel, finally got to a "start position". Seems odd considering he did do this yesterday, but hey we'll take it. Took the car to the locksmith, 45 minutes later they took the lock mechanism apart and cleaned it up for 20 bucks because they didn't need to charge for a "service call, ie no drive out".
Old key was worn too badly and was dropping in incorrectly or something to that effect as well. They had new keys made and everything is smooth now.

thanks for your replies everyone. much appreciated.