PDA

View Full Version : Swap > G35 coupe

jason
12-04-2006, 11:49 PM
3rd gear kilt an Inifiniti G35 coupe. Not surprising really, they're strong but so very heavy. He asked for it though, we needed to merge and he kept pacing me the more I sped up. This forum's always dead so, supercar opponent or not, I'm posting it :D

AznKlique
12-05-2006, 12:46 AM
I've always wondered what kind of power a swapped Celica had. Now I know. What kind of tranny and mods are you running? Your story makes me want to do a swap on my celica as soon as I start my career in a month.

burnyd
12-05-2006, 03:12 AM
eh roll racing is not real racing.

Trance4c
12-05-2006, 03:27 AM

even though 95% of all racing happens at a roll?

Sean
12-05-2006, 03:30 AM

Get out of here :hehe: :brick:

jason
12-05-2006, 05:29 AM
I've always wondered what kind of power a swapped Celica had. Now I know. What kind of tranny and mods are you running? Your story makes me want to do a swap on my celica as soon as I start my career in a month.

Tranny: E153 (non-LSD for the time being)

Mods: 3" aussie DP, full 3" exhaust, high-flow cat (being removed soon), magnaflow race-core muffler, 3barracing MBC holding 14psi, straight-intake

Trance4c
12-05-2006, 04:10 PM
You won't pull the G35 by much.. and when you come across one with mild mods - headers, exhaust.. it will be dead even. I've raced a number of them and know the owners and work done.. remember, they can hang with us and they're N/A.. awesome cars!

jason
12-05-2006, 05:49 PM
You won't pull the G35 by much.. and when you come across one with mild mods - headers, exhaust.. it will be dead even. I've raced a number of them and know the owners and work done.. remember, they can hang with us and they're N/A.. awesome cars!

no, I agree, I love their motor. Too bad they're so heavy. For a sedan they're sexy, probably my favorite new big-car. With your experience with your buddies though, how much work to the block do they have to do to take the next step up, say FI? And I don't mean swapping a Super GT motor :bigthumbu ....I mean building the stock VQ

Sean
12-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Joel took one at the drag strips out of the hole, and up top. :D

jason
12-06-2006, 12:33 AM

While this might be true, it gives a better indication of the car's performance, the engine and drivetrain specifically, by eliminating driver skill, tires, track temp, etc. Any dummy can shift in a straight line. I don't even consider drag-racing "racing"...to me it's on par with nascar...for all I care a lack of direction change implies lack of "driving" skill. Unfortunately what I consider "real racing" is shunned even more than street drag-racing, so you don't accidentally happen across many strangers doing it...which is probably a healthy thing.

sloceli
12-06-2006, 01:09 AM
A stock G35 will run a 14.6 1/4 mile and 0-60 is 6.X thats not bad if you ask me. When I raced the G35 I ran a 14.5 and he ran a 14.6 just like the specks say it should.

Jason "A dummy can shift in a straight line" sure anyone who drives a stick can shift but there's an art to drag racing just like any other driving sport. And no its not as simple as shifting in as straight line. Its all about knowing how do drive your car, when to slip the clutch to gain traction in 1st and 2nd for us swapped guys what about reaction time and so on.

partyball
12-06-2006, 03:24 AM
1sloceli I agree with you about there being more skill than just "shifting" you have to know how to drive to get a good launch and shift at the proper points to keep your cars engine in the area where it makes the most power. If you gave an average kid a a pro drag racer the same car the pro would beat the average kid hands down.

jason
12-06-2006, 03:26 AM
A stock G35 will run a 14.6 1/4 mile and 0-60 is 6.X thats not bad if you ask me. When I raced the G35 I ran a 14.5 and he ran a 14.6 just like the specks say it should.

Jason "A dummy can shift in a straight line" sure anyone who drives a stick can shift but there's an art to drag racing just like any other driving sport. And no its not as simple as shifting in as straight line. Its all about knowing how do drive your car, when to slip the clutch to gain traction in 1st and 2nd for us swapped guys what about reaction time and so on.

I'm not saying a G35 is a bad car with bad performance. If that was the case I certainly wouldn't be posting that I beat him. After all, I don't mention every NA 4cylinder or 6 cylinder car that we can absolutely murder, which I have personally taken down. My mention of it in my thread is testament to how much I love my swap, the G35 sets a good bar that I'm glad our cars can top.

My "dummy" comment was aimed at enforcing my comment about "roll-racing being a better indicator of engine performance"...hence a dummy can prove his engine's worth. I do not think drag-racing is dumb....I do it, I actually love it. Not nearly as much as giving a Subaru the shock of his life whilst canyon carving though (story for another thread). I consider myself an excellent DRIVER, my experience as one far surpasses my experience with wrenching. I just wanted to emphasize that driving is more than straight line performance. Burnyd mentioned that roll racing is not real racing, and I agree with him. But I, myself, took it a step further and believe drag racing is not all-telling either. I realize that there is an art to drag-racing but (and take this opinion of mine as simply that), in my opinion, the art lies STRICTLY in the launch. Once you're out of the hole, the race is no longer up to the driver. All prep is for the launch: tires, tire pressure, suspension, LSD, boost control, clutch-slipping, deep/shallow staging, NOS timing....my point is that drag racing really only becomes car vs. car when you're talking about drivers who have equal experience at the drags. Most drag events are littered with the typical beginner/novice driver who has something to prove to somebody else. Most drags are driver vs driver competitions. That's what frustrates me when somebody posts that they beat what should have been a better car (referring to other peoples' threads that I read). People steal the thread-starters thunder by saying "he must've been a bad driver"...well no shit, but I think that's the point. Killing a better car due to skill is something to be commended, not downplayed.

I know this is a little long-winded but I just finished reading Sean's alltrac.net post and it's got me kind of fired up :D I love you guys! I'm just passionate about driving and love talking about it. I hope I haven't put words in anybody's mouth! Peace-

KoreanJoey
12-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Yay backpedalling! I can say one thing... I can't drag race... I end up staring at the pretty lights and blowing the start. Joel and Sean have their timing and traction control perfect on that, not me. I'll stick to lateral Gs instead... seems to be the only thing I can comprehend.

Cavanagh
12-07-2006, 04:10 AM
^:hehe:^