PDA

View Full Version : It's a Z Thang

VikingJZ
12-03-2006, 05:02 AM
So....I found a "just sitting there" 1984 Datsun-Nissan 300ZX. It's pretty rusty in the back...interior is rough...and isn't starting. It's bright red, T-tops, tan leather interior, and is only a two seater (more rare).

Lady said "make me an offer based on what you can afford."

Any ideas?

VikingJZ
12-03-2006, 05:08 AM
BTW...She said it ran and may just need a charge or new battery. Not much activity with it over the past two to three years.

I can handle the rust...I'm getting a new welder this spring.

And no I'm not ditching the Celica....I just like the Z's.

mar_phi6
12-03-2006, 05:42 AM
i would say around 500 bucks ... I like the 280zx T more of myself

VikingJZ
12-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Yeah...I'm going to start at $50 bucks and see how I can come down with that.

I'd rather have a 280 as well....but hey...imagine if I could get this thing for $50...

burnyd
12-03-2006, 06:07 AM
z's are really cool cars. They were definately far ahead of their time for what year they came out. But anyways, just lowball and beat her down. Shes a women heh... women dont really know much about cars let alone anything. Just offer her like 300 bux see what she says. That car with an LS1 would make it go very very very fast.

VikingJZ
12-03-2006, 09:08 PM
If I did much to it besides restore it:

VG30DETT out of a 1990-1996 300ZX.

The only thing that worries me is that the woman (Hispanic) informed that "Dees car ees a coyectors item" according to her son, whom told her to get an offer for it and get rid of it.

It's been there three years.

Now Burnyd...come now!

I'm an excellent lowballer and schmooser. I'm going to plead that I have no car and I need this to get me to college.

$50

:)

ciento44
12-03-2006, 09:14 PM
If I did much to it besides restore it:

VG30DETT out of a 1990-1996 300ZX.

The only thing that worries me is that the woman (Hispanic) informed that "Dees car ees a coyectors item" according to her son, whom told her to get an offer for it and get rid of it.

It's been there three years.

Now Burnyd...come now!

I'm an excellent lowballer and schmooser. I'm going to plead that I have no car and I need this to get me to college.

$50

:)

VG30 FTW!!!

Hey uhmm.... you know what might be cheaper, and i was thinking about this when i was down at Brickyard last tuesday...

They have two identical black 300zxs, the old ones like what you're talking about. The front is kinda messed up on one, and the back is kinda messed up on the other. The cool thing is, there is not a single body panel that is fucked on BOTH of them, and they're still both rolling chassis. Interior is kinda rough, but could be pieced together nicely between the two. I would also bet you could get a VG30DETT and tranny pretty cheap from brickyard as well.

Entire project could probably be done around $5k if you can do your wiring yourself. It'd be old school badass, and fast as HELL.

But if the rust on the one that you're looking at isn't that bad, and the chassis is still definitely straight go with that, and then come out with me sometime to brickyard, and see what we can't screw them out of. :P

<EDIT>

Man... you should have decided on this project like... 3-4 months ago.... I would have given you my Z32 for exactly what i bought it for, and that would have had EVERYTHING that you would have needed. Low mileage JDM Fairlady Z engine and everything. :(

PhillyDRFT
12-04-2006, 12:34 AM
I don't believe you can fit a vg30 in one of them easily. Just a shot in the dark I remember going thru it with someone I was in school with not that long ago, The LS1 would be your better bet if your puting that much work into it. keep in mind your looking at a 5,000$+ job here nomatter what you do. Be ready to replace both turbos on the vgTT if you get it. There will be a LOT of headaches they are not forgiving engines and they dont like to be fucked with. ive worked on my fair share of z32's turbo and NA. Theres nothing wrong with the stock engine in there allready. you could put out a quarter of the swap money and rebuild that one maybe even add some stuff to it you might like. Drop by the Nico board and read up on nissan stuff before you go puting money out. Given 50$ for it is great nomatter how you look at it. But think it out before you even take step one, It can easily cost you more than what the end result is worth.

burnyd
12-04-2006, 12:55 AM
lol dont do a vg/some crap nissan TT motor... Well not crap but honestly with a motor like a ls1/lt1 that thing would fly... I doubt you would ever cosider doing it. But look at what we did with out pinks 240. Im sure you seen it on tv. But go fast get 25+ MPG. OUt of an NA motor you wouldnt have to put much money into. And be reliable.

VikingJZ
12-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Uhhh...the VG30E is what came in the 300ZX.

The VG30DETT is what came out of the 90-96.

VikingJZ
12-04-2006, 02:01 AM
And if you're referring to the Chevrolet engine getting 25MPG....no way.

A kid at school has a Z28 and he says the best he has acheived is 18 on race gas.

Its a 1997 with 65k miles.

ciento44
12-04-2006, 02:16 AM

A kid at school has a Z28 and he says the best he has acheived is 18 on race gas.

Actually, my buddy with the LS1 FC swap gets about that on highway.

When put in a lighter chassis, it really helps that thing.

I wouldn't go that route personally, but i definitely would be fast, and may very well be cheaper.

SR20det would be interesting...

VikingJZ
12-04-2006, 04:40 AM
Yeah the SR20 is a four cylinder though. I wouldn't go down two from a V6...even though theres a bunch of upgrades for it.

You can find a VG30DETT on Ebay for about the same price as a 3SGTE.

And it makes 300HP. I just have to learn about the car more. I may only slowly restore it and then sell it for a profit and use the money to fix up the GT.

I like the Z cars and all...but nothing will compare to my Celica.

Maybe I'll keep both....hell if I know.

May not even get it...

PhillyDRFT
12-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Its still a much bigger engine, I know it came with the NA VG but have you ever poped the hood on a z32? you wont have much room at all to fit that size engine in there btw. You can get 300hp out of a KA24DET reliably if you upgrade the rods pistons and HG. for the same price. SR20 can make 300hp with a better compressor and a piggyback. Theres nothing to gain by stuffing your engine bay. But it's your time and money.

TheNefariousOne
12-05-2006, 01:33 AM

Two things:

1. He probably has a lead foot and/or he's quoting mostly city mileage.

2. If he's running race gas, I'm assuming he has mods done which can often times decrease mileage.

The LS1 is a great engine...tons of aftermarket, easy mods can have you at 350 hp. Not to mention there's probably a kit to swap it into the 300ZX. AND it'll be one helluva lot lighter then a VG30TT.

LS1 FTMFW!

KoreanJoey
12-05-2006, 05:47 AM
ummm... 280Z = heavy... 240Z = light. And... RB30-DETT FTMFW (YES I SAID RB30, not 26).

2kSnakEater
12-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I get 18mpg city and 26-29mpg on the highway in my LS1 trans am, no race gas here.

I would offer $50, tell her its not longer a "coyector" because of all the rust and because its an 84 and because nobody colects those pos Z31. Then drop an LS1/T56 in it AFTER you fix that rust.

VikingJZ
12-11-2006, 05:56 AM
Good idea. I'm in the works on getting it. I think instead of parting it out or trying to sell it, I will make it a second project car. One of those "when I'm bored" things. It's also going to serve as a second car in case the Celica breaks down.

No thanks on the American engine swap. VG30DETT makes more HP and bolts right in to the bay and up with the transmission.

I hate GM more than anything and I can't stand people who cross mount American POS engines into foreign cars. No thanks.

If someone puts a 2JZGTE into a Camaro(My least favorite car) I will write you in on the next US presidential ballot.

TheNefariousOne
12-11-2006, 07:15 AM
1. VG30DETT does not make more HP. "However, regardless of application, the LS1s used in vehicles would usually produce an actual 345 hp (257 kW) measured at the flywheel." (Wikipedia)

2. LS1 is not a POS.

Thank you and good night.

hobbie2k
12-11-2006, 04:56 PM
I'll agree, the LS1 isn't a POS engine, but I also understand your resistance to putting a GM motor in a Nissan car.

Perhaps consider using a VG30DET. I hear a lot of Z guys go over to a single turbo system anyway, since it's more compact (a big part of the reason why the VG30DETT engine bay is so cramped is because it's a TRUE Twin Turbo motor, with two completely seperate intake and exhaust tracks). Also, you might be able to get one cheaper.

Anyhow, don't knock the LS1, it is a great motor. And the rest of you guys, he's made it clear he doesn't want the LS1 swap, so instead of criticizing his project we should support him and offer what assistance we can.

Good luck with your Z and keep us up to date. Hopefully you'll keep another classic Fairlady from the dump.

burnyd
12-11-2006, 05:21 PM
I hate GM more than anything and I can't stand people who cross mount American POS engines into foreign cars. No thanks.

If someone puts a 2JZGTE into a Camaro(My least favorite car) I will write you in on the next US presidential ballot.

please, if you had any clue. Swapping lsx motors into anything is bad ass. Cross mount? So your saying our 240sx drag car with the 6.0l truck motor that we went on pinks with was dumb a stupid idea? Domestic motors make more hp NA and are bigger. Your taking the best of both worlds Lightweight(import) Power (domestics). Please dont come across as some Imports > * all type of person. Everyone is into different things. Imports arent the greatest cars around.

VikingJZ
12-11-2006, 06:52 PM
After everything that I have ever had wrong with a GM or Ford made car....anything rolling off of their assembly lines would be considered a crap vehicle.

And again...the DETT is an easier swap than custom fabbing everything for an LS1 or LT1. It isn't work all of the extra work for me to have only 45 more horsepower. the DETT makes 300. I can work with that! You can do just as much to that motor as a V8....and with less work getting it into my Z. I may just rebuild the engine as it is for a nice extra car to have. The VG engines are very reliable when taken care of. I have no idea how the previous owners took care of the car.

At this point...I'm only concerned about getting the car to run properly with minimal repairs needed. It may need more work than I have the time or space for--keeping in mind I still have a Celica to work on.

Please...don't jump down my throat for my refusal of American automobiles. I PREFER foreign cars over domestics for a plethora of reasons that I don't have time to go into right now (final exam in 20 minutes).

VikingJZ
12-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Oh and btw....when I said the DETT makes more HP I was basing that on the LT1 out of the 93-97 Z28. That one makes 280 if I'm not mistaken.

TheNefariousOne
12-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Sorry if I seemed like I was jumping down your throat or whatnot. Just don't want misinformation/biased information spreading without a counterargument.

Cavanagh
12-12-2006, 03:45 AM
Maybe I'll keep both....hell if I know.

May not even get it...
So, did you get it? :wiggle:

VikingJZ
12-13-2006, 03:52 AM
Not yet...Friday I'm going to talk to her again.

Cavanagh
12-13-2006, 04:00 AM
sweet, tell us how it goes.