PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Celica GTS

partyball
12-02-2006, 11:07 PM
My friend recently blew up his Saturn and is looking for a new car and the first one we found was a 1989 Toyota Celica GTS. The 1989 GTS came with a 3sge rite. But anyways the cars interior is absolutely perfect with power everything including sunroof. It has 104000 miles and has minor scratches in the paint. The buyer is asking 1500 for this car. Is that a good deal and sounded good to me.

Also the owner said it grinded sometimes shifting into third. What could possible causes of this be?(Synchros, need new tranny fluid)

Thanks

extremeskillz
12-02-2006, 11:11 PM
?(Synchros, need new tranny fluid)

Yep, sounds like it. Just do a nice walk though on the car and make sure it def worth it. at 104K miles sounds like a decent ride because usually those cars a close to 300k by now.

Futant3
12-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Yes it has the 3SGE. 104k is a pretty low mileage for these. Body wise the minor scratches wouldn't stop me, check for rust as that can be a pain. I'm a little surprised it doesn't grind in 2nd if its grinding in 3rd but that can be as easy as fluid or the synchros are going out. The synchos on these are not the best in the world and it may need to be rebuilt. On these that's not the end of the world and with that price I could live with having to fix that if everything else checks out.

Oh and ask if it ever has issues starting. These have a really annoying starting problem, but fortunately there is a really easy fix to it 90% of the time. You might be able to use that stuff as a negotiation thing on the price.

Overall: good car, good price, go for it. :bigthumbu

Morwan
12-03-2006, 01:34 AM
My older brother had one, it was an awesome car. The only issues he had with it were the lack of rear speakers and his starter, which is a pretty simple fix.

partyball
12-03-2006, 02:12 AM
How much would it cost to repair if it were the synchros. And it doesnt have starting issues or rust.

ChrisD
12-03-2006, 03:40 PM
sounds like a great deal to me