PDA

View Full Version : Help - door not staying shut

3ndl3ss
12-01-2006, 06:01 PM
On a very cold morning about 10 deg F, I couldn't pull my driver door open because it was frozen shut, so I went to the passenger side door, opened that one, and opened the driverside door from the inside. However, now my driverside door will not shut all the way when I try to close the door. When I close it, it just doesn't close and pops back open most of the time. However, sometimes it does close, but only half way, like when you don't close the door hard enough. If I lock my door when the door is partially shut, my door does stay locked and won't open, so i think its still safe to drive like this, but I would like to fix it if possible. I took off the door panel to take a look to see if maybe the rods came off or something, but they appear to be fine and working. The only problem that I noticed was that the door latch seems to be a little loose. Comparing it to the passenger side door, when the door is fully opened the latch on the passenger side door is flush with the gap, but on the drivers side door, the latch seems to be hanging slightly pass the gap. I tried wd40 to see if its just frozen or stuck, but didnt seem to work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

alltracman78
12-01-2006, 10:50 PM
It is the latch.
Try to adjust it [loosen the 3 screws and move, then tighten the screws].
You might have to replace it...

3ndl3ss
12-02-2006, 12:40 AM
thanks for the tip, i was wondering if those 3 screws did anything. but it seems the problem fixed itself. i was driving to school, got out the car and shut the door, and out of nowhere it shuts all the way. i'm like wtf? but all is good. time to adjust my window tightness, and put my panel back on.

Rix86
12-02-2006, 02:11 AM
are you in icy weather wherever you are right now?
it could have just iced up.

3ndl3ss
12-02-2006, 04:29 PM
are you in icy weather wherever you are right now?
it could have just iced up.

yes, that's what I originally thought, but just wanted to get some second opinions.