PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber parts?? Bigger intake manifold?

ShatteredDreamz
12-01-2006, 01:50 AM
The first thing ive been pondering lately is why isnt there an upgrade for our stock 5SFE intake manifold. Skunk2 makes one for the honda, so why doesnt any company make one for us. Anyways getting tired of looking for something im never gonna find Ive decided to design and fabricate my own. But Ive got no idea here I can improve upon the original design any ideas would be much appreciated. The second thing ive been thinking about is the lack of carbon fiber pieces for our cars yea they make hoods for us but I havent seen things like fenders, doors, interior pieces. Im also gonna try and get into carbon fibering talked to a guy today that does it and Im gonna apprentice at his shop for a couple months to learn the trade. If anybody has anything they would like to see made out of carbon fiber for celica lemme know and Ill see what I can do. My first project though is gonna be the rear deck behind the back seats I think that would look so cool in carbon fiber maybe with some holes cut out for more speakers or maybe a NOS bottle set-up well see.

ciento44
12-01-2006, 02:01 AM
The reason why there isn't much performance/aftermarket for the 5th/6th gen, is because to be honest, there isn't a whole lot of potential other than handling for our cars, until you swap, or do a pretty extensive turbo build.

The 5sfe engine is an economy engine, through and through, the head design really hampers it.

CF panels would be nice, but in terms of stuff already being made, there's just not enough people tryign to do stuff to these cars to make it a profitable venture with the bigger companies.

Now, if you wanted to do the work yourself, and maybe get like 20-30 guys interested, and actually buy your project, you could stand to make a decent chunk of change.

I know i'd be interested, but i'm not sure how much money i'd be willing to dump on it, and not sure if funds would even be available for me to do it.

But let us know how the apprenticing goes, and how feasible you think it would be after you've been doing it for awhile. You've piqued my interest. :)

ShatteredDreamz
12-01-2006, 02:14 AM
well Ive researched into the carbon fiber aspect of my idea thus far. And ive come up with carbon fiber really isnt that expensive you can get a good size roll for about 100$ then all you need is the resin which Ill be getting at a discount. Im really not looking into making any money off the deal just looking to further the experience for people who love the car as much as I do. On the side Ive done stuff like powder coating and painting and only charged the cost of materials because It is what I like to do and the same will be with these projects. The only way Id make any money is if some company bought the deisgn say for the intake and marketed it. But other then that Im only interested in whoever is interested just buying the materials. But before I get ahead of yself lemme start my apprentiship. The guy I know said tht within a week of hard work you can basically start making smaller things like fenders and trim panels but takes a little more time for larger items like doors and hoods. But anyways after about a week Ill know how this is gonna go and get back to anyone interested.

KoreanJoey
12-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Remember, carbon may be cheap in some forms but also remember you have to get the right carbon for the job. It's one thing when it's interior stuff but when you get to more structural aspects of the car you need to get a stronger form of carbon fiber, it'll be heavier and harder to work with. Things like hoods shouldn't be a big issue except for maybe the CS or AT hoods as they're a bit more complicated (as you can tell by the price differences from an OE style to CS style carbon hood). Also, to ensure the strength of carbon it should really be baked and not many people have an oven large enough to fit a hood. At least I know I don't.

VikingJZ
12-08-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm going to stick with my own OEM panels.

You can make a custom intake manifold. It has been done on both the 5SFE and the 3SGTE. I've seen them in HUGE sizes.

PhillyDRFT
12-09-2006, 02:26 AM
I'm going to stick with my own OEM panels.

You can make a custom intake manifold. It has been done on both the 5SFE and the 3SGTE. I've seen them in HUGE sizes.

please post pics or threads id like to see these.

k2skater
12-25-2006, 01:01 AM
where in jersey you live??

IDLE13
12-25-2006, 06:26 AM
id be interested in this stuff like guage bezels shift knobs, tail lights, let me know im in and i got money to blow.

ShatteredDreamz
12-27-2006, 02:22 AM
I live in Bridgeton new jersey. soory I havent replied in a while been busy got some work done on the intake manifold over the past week coming along good but a friend of mine made a good suggestion. Im doing this for horsepower so if I dont know what its making what is the sense so im making a couple of different prototypes and taking the car to a dyno and testing the different ones and using the one that gives the best gain.

96celica
12-28-2006, 10:14 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/aznrobber/carbon/Picture008.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/aznrobber/carbon/Picture005.jpg
:oh noes:

PhillyDRFT
01-03-2007, 07:30 AM
did you make the CF decklid at home? if you did, great job!

ciento44
01-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Whoa....

How much do you want for one of those bad boys? Would it compromise the integrity of that to re-drill some holes for the 3-piece spoiler to mount?

96celica
01-03-2007, 10:34 PM
yes i made that....that job is actually a wrap so you could drill holes perfectly fine

to make a LTW CF version your looking ~$800 or so
for a wrap your looking at $500-$600

and the one pictured is the only one known

PhillyDRFT
01-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah I can tell from the pics that it was wraped by you. But holy shit! 5-600 for that much! The price of CF has gone up a lot. There was a girl on here a wile ago who offered a CF wrapping service and she only charged 1,000 for a 7th gen dashboard

96celica
01-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Yup 1,000 sounds about right for a dash....Thats actually a pretty good deal too

PhillyDRFT
01-09-2007, 08:16 PM
yeah its not bad when you think about it for what your geting but sadly most of the 1000 is going for the materials. since the conflict in Iraq the price on CF, Steel, Wood has all gone up drasticly.

96celica
01-11-2007, 04:36 PM
CF issue was pre-Iraq, but your right the military and AEROSPACE industry are taking it all up....Boeing/Airbus/others are making their jumbo jets largely out of composite materials now since they are getting ~2/3 levels high and technology grows...
too bad there arn't more Carbon producing companies :(