PDA

View Full Version : no lights other than headlights

91PinkCeli
11-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Heres the deal. I went to turn on my headlights and they worked perfectly fine, but my instument gauge light doesn't come on as well as the rest of the interior lights. My taillights do not work and neither do my brake lights. So I checked all of the fuses in my car and they are all good. Also when i turn my alarm on all my lights work, as in the flash of lights when you arm it.

So does anyone know what is going on.

alltracman78
11-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Your combination switch is probably bad.
Comb switch is the lights/wiper controls.
The are all 1 piece.

Try playing with the switch and stalk to see if you can get them to work.

91PinkCeli
11-26-2006, 09:23 PM
okay but would the wipers still work? because they still work fine

Dan3312
11-27-2006, 05:39 AM
I had a similar problem but in Canadian cars at least (not sure if American cars did this too) the lights that light up your dash, all marker lights and fog lights turn on if the car is on. I had a similar problem where my head lights and fog lights worked but dash lights didn't and only my reverse lights worked. The problem turned out to be a broken ground wire for the Alt.

MCcelica
11-27-2006, 05:58 AM
okay but would the wipers still work? because they still work fine

The wipers should be on the other side of the steering wheel so yeah they should work.

91PinkCeli
11-27-2006, 06:49 AM
I will check the grounds tomorrow then let ya'll know. Thanks

alltracman78
11-28-2006, 02:44 AM
I had a similar problem but in Canadian cars at least (not sure if American cars did this too) the lights that light up your dash, all marker lights and fog lights turn on if the car is on. I had a similar problem where my head lights and fog lights worked but dash lights didn't and only my reverse lights worked. The problem turned out to be a broken ground wire for the Alt.

Thats Canada only.
They have daytime running lights, we don't.

It is HIGHLY unlikely it's a ground seeing as the lights work with your alarm.
Like I told you, it's most likely your switch.

Your wipers will still work fine. They are on a separate switch. It just happens to be all on one part.

91PinkCeli
11-28-2006, 05:30 PM
I took my car to the shop and is thinking that it is the switch as well. How hard is it to change the switch myself?

alltracman78
11-29-2006, 03:01 AM
Not too hard.
The only thing to be careful of is the airbag.

I take it you are semi mechanically inclined?

Basically you disconnect the battery [to keep airbag from blowing], remove airbag [you will need a torx bit, I can't remember which size] steering wheel [You will need a steering wheel puller and 2 long bolts. 6mm x 1.0mm I believe], remove airbag squib [coiled wire so it can turn around the steering shaft] and then you will be able to remove the switch. It should have 4 screws holding it in. And several connectors.

If you do intend to do this, let us know so we can get you more detailed instructions [Basically I want to keep you from screwing up your airbag squib. :)]

If you get the part new, go to www.1sttoyotaparts.com (http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com) or one of the other discount online dealers.
If you get it used, you NEED to get it from a 90/91 Celica. You might have to get it from the same model that you have. Hopefully you have a GT, which should be the most common.
Call the dealer and find out how many different p# there are for it.

alltracman78
11-29-2006, 03:04 AM
You know, I might be jumping the gun on which model you need to get it from.
I know the connectors are different for the steering column, but the switch could be the same for all 4 models.
It MIGHT even be the same for pre and post revison.

KoreanJoey
11-29-2006, 03:25 AM
umm... I never needed a steering wheel puller... but I did bash myself in the face taking the steering wheel off.

alltracman78
11-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Well, the first time I pulled mine it wouldn't come off by hand...
I guess you can hit it, but you might do some damage.

Also, she being a girl, probably has less armstrength than you or me.....
No offense. :)

Trance4c
11-29-2006, 03:08 PM
I have to agree that it is probably a ground to the fuse box, you need to find the common link for all of these systems going into the fuse box. I bet if you were to check for a volt in the fuse box, it won't be there.

91PinkCeli
11-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Well i took it in to find out what is was for sure, and he fixed the problem. I don't think it was the switch because he said it was way up in the dash although he didn't tell me exactly what it was. I want to say a relay, or perhaps it was the switch. anyways he gave me the part it was a 4 prong red square. sorry don't know the exact name.

When i had my mx-6 i did replace some relays that looked exactly the same. If you guys want more info i will ask the mechanic.

Thanks for everything!

91PinkCeli
11-29-2006, 05:07 PM
by the way not taken on the comment...lol. I am not a very big girl, and i often have problems with stuff like that.

alltracman78
11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Yeah, it sounds like a relay.

What lights EXACTLY didn't work?

Was in none of the outer lights, just the blinker lights?
How about the driving lights?
Taillights?

alltracman78
11-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Your tail light relay.
Did you check to see if your blinkers worked?

91PinkCeli
12-01-2006, 05:41 PM
the only lights that worked were the blinkers and head lights.

yes it was a relay. but now they are not working again so they said they think i blew a fuse. So i told him i wasn't paying extra to have him fix it. it already cost me enough.

alltracman78
12-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Ah.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but we need to know that kind of info to give you an accurate answer [I didn't think to ask either, so don't feel too bad].

You are back to square 1?
Only the headlights and blinkers work?

Have you looked in your fuses to see if one is blown?

The taillight fuse is in the same relay block as the taillight relay.
In the drivers kick panel.

If you are blowing fuses and relays, you probably have a short though. :(

If the fuse is blown, I would replace it once and see what happens.
If it blows again, or the relay blew, you have a short somewhere.

91PinkCeli
12-04-2006, 06:13 PM
now the headlight switch went out. I am getting the part today. is there a way that i canjust take the steering column cover off instead of the steering wheel also.

the car has the same symptoms as last time.

NDMstang65
12-04-2006, 07:58 PM
yeah the cover pops off, i think there's some phillips head screws up through the bottom that you take out and it should pop right off if memory serves me correctly

alltracman78
12-05-2006, 02:58 AM
You have to remove the steering wheel to replace the switch.
The steering column goes right through the center of it. :(

NDMstang65
12-05-2006, 04:11 AM
oh damn :(

...learn something every day...

91PinkCeli
12-05-2006, 05:44 PM
well that sucks but oh well, better than paying the mechanic more money

91PinkCeli
12-08-2006, 10:53 PM
I put in the new headlight switch and it did not fix the problem. I checked my wiring diagrams and it ended up looking like the problem is somewhere between the tail light relay and the 100 alternator fuse. also the rear defog is not working now. so i am going to keep looking into it.

alltracman78
12-09-2006, 10:16 PM
How good are you at electrical troubleshooting?

Do you own a multimeter?

I take it you can trace the wiring on a diagram?

Hit me up on chat or IM if I'm on.

Links are at the bottom of my sig.

91PinkCeli
12-11-2006, 05:55 PM
I've been working in our hs auto shop and have had some help with the diagrams, but i get some of it. With electrical troubleshooting, i know some, but not enough to figure it out.

elektrateq
12-11-2006, 06:58 PM
well atleast u had fun removing the steering wheel :). Congrats on getting through that...

91PinkCeli
12-14-2006, 06:23 AM
oh i didn't put everything into place. i only plugged in the new headlight switch wires to see if it worked first. and it didn't. luckily i didn't have to remove the steering wheel.

turns out a mouse chewed my 100 alternator wire that leads to all the lights and defog. So i replaced it, problem solved

KoreanJoey
12-14-2006, 06:37 AM
... mice?