PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lights

FWD88GT
11-25-2006, 11:38 PM
I have an 86 GTS my brake lights went out and it keeps blowing a fuse. Well now the fuse is fine and no lights. I replaced the brake switch in here too and it doesn't work either.

My 88 GT also went out at the same time. But I replaced my Brake switch. It worked for a week and now I don't have brake lights again. My fuses are all fine. Under the hood and in the engine bay. I put yet another brake switch in it and no brake lights. So What I have checked are:
Every Fuse in the Engine bay
Every Fuse in the kick panel.
And brake switch.

What do I do now?

FWD88GT
11-26-2006, 01:13 AM
I heard a rumor that there was a box in the rear passenger side panel that goes out. Well I looked back there and there is a yellow box that says "LAMP FAILURE" part number is 89373-32120. What you think?

Fuelish
11-26-2006, 01:18 PM
What do I do now? Not wanting to sound like a wise guy, but have you checked the brake light bulbs ? Perhaps there's a bad bulb (or more) shorting out your fuses.

FWD88GT
11-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Nope nothing wrong there. We believe there might be a ground problem somewere or the switch it self isn't getting power.

alltracman78
11-26-2006, 06:10 PM
A $10 circut tester will tell you if the switch is getting power.

It very well could be a ground problem. Older Celicas tend to corrode a bit.
To check that you will need a multimeter.
Clean the grounds too.

alltracman78
11-26-2006, 06:11 PM
May I make a suggestion while I'm here?

Take this opportunity to learn how to diagnose at least simple eletrical problems so you don't end up just swapping parts as you have been doing.