PDA

View Full Version : 1mzfe swap checklist

ciento44
11-24-2006, 09:31 PM
I've been doing some searching around, and i have a general idea of what's needed....

But i'm wondering what the total checklist is, from someone who's done the swap, if they've got the time. (Adrian, cough cough. :) )

With all the recent threads saying that in a nutshell, my celica will die in 10-30k miles (3-10 months) i'm starting to do some looking around to see what i can do about it when it does blow. I'd just get another one, but i'm kindof loathe to waste a solid/nice body/chassis. Plus, i'm attached to it. I'd either like to sell it as a whole, or keep it and make it a badass daily driver on a budget.

And before it comes up, no, i will not put another 5sfe in it. It will either get a 3sge or a 1mzfe.

So... checklist for 1mzfe if you don't mind, and maybe even a discussion of price vs. performance for each respective swap. I'm open to both, and if the 3sge ends up being significantly cheaper, then i'd just as soon do that. Either will be a huge step up from the 5sfe.

burnyd
11-24-2006, 09:51 PM
and why would you want a swapped car as a daily driver? Putting something in there that does not belong there only causes problems. Just put another 5sfe and build your alltrac up... but honestly though... I have seen 5sfe's go past 2230k before.

ciento44
11-24-2006, 10:34 PM
and why would you want a swapped car as a daily driver? Putting something in there that does not belong there only causes problems. Just put another 5sfe and build your alltrac up... but honestly though... I have seen 5sfe's go past 2230k before.

I'd like a swapped car, because neither of the swaps that i'm looking at are going to be THAT much more power than my 5sfe. I doubt that it's going to be much less, if any less reliable than if the engines were in their original cars. I'm not planning on going much farther than stock on the engines, maybe normal boltons.

We'll see. I'm just looking at my options. For now, i'm not messing with it, but sinking all my dough into the alltrac. Hopefully i'll have it running before i even have to seriously think about doing something with the GT.

But i'd still like to have the price vs. performance discussion of 1mzfe vs. 3sge.

91 celica st
11-25-2006, 01:30 AM
1mzfe=teh sex
go go go ciento

ciento44
11-25-2006, 05:10 PM
1mzfe=teh sex
go go go ciento

LOL. :)

By the numbers, even if i pay to get teh 1mzfe swap done, including parts, total cost will be around $3k. That's not too bad. I do have access to a full garage with lift on nights and weekends, and a few very knowledgeable friends, so i bet i could get the thing in there for around $2k, maybe a bit under, considering i can get the engine, with tranny that comes with it for $1000, or just engine for $600-$800, depending on miles.

I think 3sge swap would be about the same, in terms of initial purchase, but end up being cheaper because of less custom fabrication. I'd just do a 3sgte swap, but i do NOT want boost on my daily driver.

Joey, if you don't mind chiming in on this thread, how much of a huge pain in the ass was the wiring on your 3rd gen swap? And about how much can i expect to spend? I seem to have found your engine with tranny for $600 off of ebay, which doesn't seem bad at all. (I'll still give a good importer a call. )

I know 2nd gen 3sge isn't anything real hard.

I honestly have no REAL preference between the two swaps. Sure, the extra powerband of the 1mzfe appeals to me, but if it's going to cost a grand more, then i'll do 3sge. If the difference is only $500 or so, then i'd probably go with 1mzfe.

Anyways, more input please. :) The ball probably won't get REALLY rolling on this until the AllTrac is running again, i'm just gathering info/opinions at the moment.

Murgatroy
11-25-2006, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't believe everything you read here. I am not sure that your car is goona die just because someone said so. ;)

ciento44
11-25-2006, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't believe everything you read here. I am not sure that your car is goona die just because someone said so. ;)

That's what i'm thinking, too... been doing some looking around/talking with people. Burnyd finally got me to start believing in my maintenance skills, and i do take great care of this car, so hopefully, along with being a freaky powerful 5s, maybe it'll run forever, too. :)

But, never hurts to have a backup plan, and the swap vs. swap discussion intrigues me, too.

I actually have an appointment with the Mazda dealer on tuesday, though... so i'll let you guys know how that goes. :P

burnyd
11-26-2006, 03:47 AM
any v6 swap minus the new camry motor. < any turbo 4 minus 5sfte lol.

VikingJZ
11-28-2006, 03:07 PM
I've decided on a 3SGTE. It won't take me long to mount the engine at all...wiring is the bitch, I know. I don't have time to mess with the wiring anymore with college....so that's how Dr. Tweak will get my money. It's good that I know I can do it though.