PDA

View Full Version : MR2? Miata?

Chris
11-24-2006, 08:40 AM
The Celica is resting at 103k, it still runs great, but it's showing some signs of wear (tonight the sunroof started whinning and it's been opening slower, guess that means I'll be making a trip to the dealership soon) and I've still got 5 and a half more years of schooling to go through before I get out of college.

I've been looking into possible options for cars, seeing as how Celica's seem to blow at or around 200/230k, and I know that won't get me another 6 years with how much I drive. I really want a nice, small, sporty car, a coupe at the largest, but a two seater would be nice, but I obviously can't spend much at all. Which is why I've considered either a turbo MR2, MR2 Sypder (assuming i can find a damn good deal), or a Miata. Any other suggestions (or donations, a free Z3 would be nice) are welcome.

My questions are, what do you all know about these cars and their reliability? I don't want the car to have more than 100k on it, and while I know that's tough, a MR2 turbo with 150k has probably been hot rodded most of it's life, and I'll be stuck with a car that'll go dead in 20,000 miles. However, I do want to know how the cars I listed (and any other suggestions) fare beyond the 100k, 150k and 200k marks. I'd also like something that can at least run a low 16, though that won't be needed, relability before speed.

Blackcloud
11-24-2006, 09:18 AM
trucks > *

Playfortoday
11-24-2006, 03:32 PM
trucks > *

I think I am going to probate you for a day every time you recommend a shitty truck to someone on this site.:)

Playfortoday
11-24-2006, 03:33 PM
You might actually only have access to the site for 5 days out of the year.:madfawk:

Azzazzyn
11-24-2006, 05:38 PM
I think I am going to probate you for a day every time you recommend a shitty truck to someone on this site.:)
nissan titan ftw

burnyd
11-24-2006, 06:46 PM
The Celica is resting at 103k, it still runs great, but it's showing some signs of wear (tonight the sunroof started whinning and it's been opening slower, guess that means I'll be making a trip to the dealership soon) and I've still got 5 and a half more years of schooling to go through before I get out of college.

I've been looking into possible options for cars, seeing as how Celica's seem to blow at or around 200/230k, and I know that won't get me another 6 years with how much I drive. I really want a nice, small, sporty car, a coupe at the largest, but a two seater would be nice, but I obviously can't spend much at all. Which is why I've considered either a turbo MR2, MR2 Sypder (assuming i can find a damn good deal), or a Miata. Any other suggestions (or donations, a free Z3 would be nice) are welcome.

My questions are, what do you all know about these cars and their reliability? I don't want the car to have more than 100k on it, and while I know that's tough, a MR2 turbo with 150k has probably been hot rodded most of it's life, and I'll be stuck with a car that'll go dead in 20,000 miles. However, I do want to know how the cars I listed (and any other suggestions) fare beyond the 100k, 150k and 200k marks. I'd also like something that can at least run a low 16, though that won't be needed, relability before speed.

A low 16! My god thats slow haha... but anyways.... 3sgte mr2s get really good gas mileage. You can run them at 14psi and drive it all day long. but with a turbo car there bad as far as maintence goes. Your better off just getting a na mr2 and running it past 200k there very reliable..... but there are some problems with mr2s though... I meen not mechanical problems. depending on where you live as in rain/snow conditions there really not good to drive with a slippery surface. There very tail happy cars. I wouldnt want to really drive one daily. Plus theres no real room for other passengers in them.

Blackcloud
11-24-2006, 06:47 PM
You might actually only have access to the site for 5 days out of the year.:madfawk:
:laugh:

Luni
11-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I drove an MR2 daily for 4 years in Utah where we get pretty bad winters with snow and all that.

That car is better in the snow than my 7th gen by a longshot.

burnyd
11-24-2006, 07:36 PM
I drove an MR2 daily for 4 years in Utah where we get pretty bad winters with snow and all that.

Dont know how you do it.....

Blackcloud
11-24-2006, 07:37 PM

and you know whats better then that?

the 4hi button on my truck :laugh:

:thefinger play

ciento44
11-24-2006, 07:43 PM
What's with all these threads all of a sudden saying that Celicas blow around 200k?!?!?!

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'm starting to get scared here.... i'm DAMN close to 200k.

surfergravity
11-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Any other suggestions (or donations, a free Z3 would be nice) are welcome.

(and any other suggestions)

Reliability and something that most assuredly was not hot-rodded...I'd suggest perhaps a newer Celica. It doesn't fit your request for two seater. But in my opinion(I had looked for Celicas for MONTHS before buying,) I came to the conclusion that the 6th generation Celicas were the best looking. Price is right too. You can pick them up for a reasonable price.

Also, if you earn money along the way and decide to do things to enhance the performance of your vehicle(it is almost inevitable because they're not that fast;) you can do so.

And what better placeto be a part of than that of the Celicatech community if you have any questions or concerns!

Chris
11-24-2006, 07:44 PM
trucks > *

I was considering getting an older Toyota four banger truck, the kind that just don't die, but aside from that, I love sporty cars.

A low 16! My god thats slow haha... but anyways.... 3sgte mr2s get really good gas mileage. You can run them at 14psi and drive it all day long. but with a turbo car there bad as far as maintence goes. Your better off just getting a na mr2 and running it past 200k there very reliable..... but there are some problems with mr2s though... I meen not mechanical problems. depending on where you live as in rain/snow conditions there really not good to drive with a slippery surface. There very tail happy cars. I wouldnt want to really drive one daily. Plus theres no real room for other passengers in them.

Though we have winters around here, I believe I can deal with an MR2, and if it's that bad I'll just take the Celica out. Low 16s, eh, a stock Celica, from what I've heard, can run a mid 16, and that's enough to keep up with most cars out there, but I would like to go a bit faster. How fast are NA MR2's, or the Spyders? I can't afford much beyond an 2000 or 2001 Spyder, but I'm still looking into those.

surfergravity
11-24-2006, 07:44 PM
What's with all these threads all of a sudden saying that Celicas blow around 200k?!?!?!

My 1994 blew at 197k. lol

I could have put money into mine, but I just wanted something newer. So I bought a 1999.

Chris
11-24-2006, 07:49 PM

I read it in another thread, and then I thought about it and realised that I'd never heard of a 5th gen going beyond 230k miles. Which isn't bad, but made me wonder if I should look into a new car.

Reliability and something that most assuredly was not hot-rodded...I'd suggest perhaps a newer Celica. It doesn't fit your request for two seater. But in my opinion(I had looked for Celicas for MONTHS before buying,) I came to the conclusion that the 6th generation Celicas were the best looking. Price is right too. You can pick them up for a reasonable price.

Two seater isn't a requirement at all, though 4 is the highest I'll go. I'm thinking about a 7th gen GTS, because they don't look that bad and 15 seconds isn't bad either. If worse comes to worse I'll gladly get another Celica, they're awesome cars, I just figure that while I had time I'd expand my options a bit and see what else is out there, and cheap. I'm going into my second year of college, so I'm not gonna press my budget too hard, which pretty much cancels out anything above 10,000 or 11,000.

Oh, and if any of you know good sites other than autotrader.com to search on, go ahead and list them.

surfergravity
11-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Cars.com usually has a good listing for 7th gens.

Chris
11-24-2006, 08:04 PM
I'll check into that, I might have to seriously look into a 7th gen or Miata, as much as I love the look of MR2's and their rareness, they're hard to find on a good deal.

This MR2 seems way to expensive for a 1991, even with a turbo. (http://cars.com/go/search/fs_search_results.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&cid=&dlid=&dgid=&amid=&cname=&zc=67005&makeid=47&modelid=429&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-ANY%7CM-_47_%7CH-%7CD-_429_%7CN-N%7CR-250%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CX-popular%7CZ-67005&aff=national&aff=national)

This deal seems better, but the mileage is a little high. (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=209046710&dealer_id=58403201&car_year=1991&model=MR2SPYDR&num_records=&make3=&make2=TOYOTA&start_year=1981&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=200&model2=MR2&make=TOYOTA&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=67005&advanced=&end_year=2007&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=161)

A good spyder, but 103k miles is high, and I have no idea how reliable these cars are. (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=211661879&dealer_id=58787039&car_year=2000&num_records=&model=MR2SPYDR&make3=&make2=TOYOTA&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&search_type=both&distance=300&model2=MR2&color3=&color2=&first_record=26&make=TOYOTA&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=67005&advanced=&end_year=2007&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=296)

And oh, this Miata is nice. (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=214654250&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=32&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_30_%7CD-_278_%7CN-N%7CR-250%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-67005&aff=national)

burnyd
11-24-2006, 08:16 PM
buy the second one. Just make sure the clutch isnt beat up from someone driving/launching it on the street like an ass. Also make sure there are no grinds in the trans when shifting at high rev. Drive the car around spool the turbo to see how it boosts. Honestly 99k for a 91 is damn good mileage it would go another 99k stock and maintained.

Chris
11-24-2006, 08:39 PM
It's quite a drive away, but I'll look into it, and hopefully it'll still be on the market (doubt it) in a couple months. I can drive down over Christmas break and see how the car drives and at least let the seller know I'm interested.

alltracman78
11-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Dont know how you do it.....

He does it by knowing how to drive. :hehe:

Fuelish
11-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Indeed !!!! Besides, if there's more snow than a car can be driven around in, then it's time to stay home and warm ;)

burnyd
11-25-2006, 12:25 AM

I better learn how to do that real soon..... one day Ill learn how to use this weird third pedal on my left.

Chris
11-25-2006, 12:52 AM
I better learn how to do that real soon..... one day Ill learn how to use this weird third pedal on my left.

Yeah, I have no idea what that's for either. Hmm, that might solve my shifting problem...

tankd0g
11-25-2006, 01:29 AM

Both are completely impractical so if it's going to be your only drive I would say look else where. If you are just looking for a fun car than go for the Miata. It's very simple to work on and easier to drive than the MR2, and it has marginally more cargo space. I'm not sure what you mean by "blow at 200k" but assuming you mean the engine, worst case scenario you put a low milage motor in it and get another 100k for $2000? Seems to make more sense than a new car. But if you want a new car, for MR2 money, in a couple years get one of the new Civic Si's. The new motor and the new diff makes it the first Honda product I would actually put money down on.

Chris
11-25-2006, 02:21 AM
Yeah, I was looking at that silver Miata as well. It's not my only car, I have a 92 Celica Gt, I just wanted to have something there that would be driveable and still fun when the motor does decide to go, and something that I should share my travels with, thus keeping some miles off the Celica.

As for Civics, they're nice cars, but eh, not for me.

insomnak8702
11-25-2006, 09:05 AM
craigslist.org isn't to shabby when looking for cars...

tankd0g
11-25-2006, 02:01 PM
I haven't driven one yet but the Mazda Speed 3 looks pretty impressive too. Can you tell I prefer hatches :)

Chris
11-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Well, how reliable are the Mazda's, particularly the Miata?

hobbie2k
11-25-2006, 05:15 PM
I've lived in northern MN most of my life and I can only remember one time that my car couldn't get me where I needed to go. Then again, the guy in the 4x4 Dakota couldn't get out, either...

Also, my parent's house is on a deceptively tight corner and accidents are common in the winter. Almost always big trucks or SUVs. Their first comment, "I had the four wheel drive on."

4x4 is overrated and any good driver knows you don't need it. If there's so much snow that a car can't get out, then you should be driving a snowmobile, not a motor vehicle of any type.

Trucks = waste of space and gas.

I would say, stick with the Celica for the time being. Sure, it might not survive the rest of school, but you likely won't be in any better place for buying now than you will be in 4 years. Also you could always use a fresh motor.

insomnak8702
11-28-2006, 06:09 PM
if you want a miata that bad just fix the celica to look like this one
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/0/9/9/63.jpg

85gtsblackman
11-28-2006, 11:33 PM
didnt daves celica last over 400k on his 5s

it didnt die he just got tired of it, and got a 22re truck

buy a 85 celica they dont die at 200k, well the ignitor and the tps do but the engine itself is good

22res have gone well over 600k :hehe:

and to rebuild them with a good kit cost under 500

ciento44
11-29-2006, 02:01 AM
I haven't driven one yet but the Mazda Speed 3 looks pretty impressive too. Can you tell I prefer hatches :)

I drove one today... Fast, pretty smooth delivery, nice interior, handled decently, attractive pricing. But.... too ugly for me. :( If they made it in sedan/coupe form, i'd be all over it.

Drove a Mazdaspeed 6 today, too.... slightly slower, but smoother, nicer for everyday. Still ugly, but a little better.

Drove a Mazdaspeed Miata today as well....

I CAME!!!!!!!!!

GET A MIATA.

hobbie2k
11-29-2006, 01:21 PM
They make a Mazdaspeed version of the current Miata? Or is that the previous generation Mazdaspeed you're talking about?

tankd0g
11-29-2006, 02:44 PM
They make the current one and I think it's still cheaper than an S2000 :)

ciento44
11-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Current one isn't out yet. This was the previous generation.

And for only 7.5psi, it was pretty respectable. :)

T-spoon
11-29-2006, 06:45 PM
I'd get a Spyder. Oh wait I did! Great car.

90celicaGTX
11-29-2006, 08:09 PM

where did u find ur lip at.?

i want one soo bad.

Morwan
11-29-2006, 10:04 PM
The NA Miatas ('90-'97) are pretty reliable, but I don't know anything about the NB ('99-05).

Yeah, he should totally put a shitty body kit on a 2800 lb fwd car instead of buying a lightweight sports car. :slap: