PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know or has anyone done this????

gt2celica
11-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know or has anyone swaped the AWD system over into a FWD Celica? I have an opportunity to get a beat up all trac. I am wondering if the full AWD system will bolt on to my GT. (90-93 celica's). I know the rear trailing arms are different, but I wonder if I take the entire all trac drive train and move it right over.

Any info would be great.

Thanks!

KoreanJoey
11-23-2006, 02:52 PM
there is more different than just the rear trailing arms. In fact the tunnel of the FWD celica is smaller than that of the GT-4/Alltrac and I don't know if it'll be able to fit the driveline through there, also the FWD celicas gas tank is in the way as the GT-4/Alltrac gas tank is all the way in the back of the car. Pretty much if you're looking to make a FWD celica into an AWD celica it's best to sell the FWD celica and buy the AWD celica.

gt2celica
11-23-2006, 03:13 PM
there is more different than just the rear trailing arms. In fact the tunnel of the FWD celica is smaller than that of the GT-4/Alltrac and I don't know if it'll be able to fit the driveline through there, also the FWD celicas gas tank is in the way as the GT-4/Alltrac gas tank is all the way in the back of the car. Pretty much if you're looking to make a FWD celica into an AWD celica it's best to sell the FWD celica and buy the AWD celica.

Yeah, I knew about the tunel issue. The gas tank i didn't think about tho. I dont want sell my GT. The ONLY all trac in my area was in a accident yesterday and I was thinking about moving it all over. I'll just stick with my MR2 tranny I guess :cool:

hobbie2k
11-23-2006, 10:32 PM
It would take some serious custom fab to make the AWD fit in the FWD floorpan. But maybe if the AllTrac engine is still okay you could salvage that for a swap. Or any number of other parts.

burnyd
11-24-2006, 03:02 AM
you said bolt on lol.

Futant3
11-24-2006, 04:03 AM
Jeremy over at 4gc is the only one I've heard of to do this successfully. He did it with a 4th gen and it basically required welding in the whole floorpan. Which, of course, destroys the structural integrity of the car making it extremely dangerous to drive and the car went bust.

This is a great way to destroy 2 cars though. :bigthumbu