PDA

View Full Version : Toyota 3.5 VS Honda 3.5

DblOSmith
11-21-2006, 10:22 AM
I frequent a Honda board from back in my Honda days. Why oh why do I do that? I compliment Toyota on one thing and look at the shit that ensues. It especially gets interesting after the EPA arguments. What do you fools, think?

ciento44
11-21-2006, 03:34 PM
2gr-fe > all.

hobbie2k
11-22-2006, 05:34 PM
They are all so similar in spec and potential (especially if you include the Nissan VQ) that it's hard to really say one is better than another. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses. I think a better comparison would be to look at the motors as they are tuned in competing cars. It doesn't make sense to compare the Camry's 3.5 to the Oddesey's 3.5 or to the G35's 3.5 since they are tuned very differently.

Of course, even then, they are still all good motors, and I personally think that anyone who isn't willing to accept the strengths and weaknesses of both their own preffered brand and their competitors isn't worth listening to.

Also, don't beat yourself up over being on a Honda forum. Some of those Honda guys really know their stuff, and since all motors operate on the same basic principles their knowledge is perfectly applicable.

DblOSmith
11-29-2006, 06:55 PM
They are all so similar in spec and potential (especially if you include the Nissan VQ) that it's hard to really say one is better than another. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses. I think a better comparison would be to look at the motors as they are tuned in competing cars. It doesn't make sense to compare the Camry's 3.5 to the Oddesey's 3.5 or to the G35's 3.5 since they are tuned very differently.

Also, don't beat yourself up over being on a Honda forum. Some of those Honda guys really know their stuff, and since all motors operate on the same basic principles their knowledge is perfectly applicable.

I agree, that's what I said. Compare the TL-S 3.5 VS the IS350's 3.5 VS G35's 3.5. Cars aimed at similar purposes.

Yes, some of them do know their stuff, but to say Honda is 10 years ahead of everyone else because they have more 100HP/L 4cyl engines is absurd. Yes, they do 4cyl very well, but we're not talking about that. Besides, all their 4cyl are variations on a theme, and not indicative of all their engines. I dunno it's over. heh.

hobbie2k
11-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Yes, some of them do know their stuff, but to say Honda is 10 years ahead of everyone else because they have more 100HP/L 4cyl engines is absurd. Yes, they do 4cyl very well, but we're not talking about that. Besides, all their 4cyl are variations on a theme, and not indicative of all their engines. I dunno it's over. heh.

I agree with that, I wouldn't claim they're ten years ahead, either. Especially since it seems that now (10 years after Honda's 100hp/L engines became popular) most car companies are moving to torquey, balanced engines instead of the high-revving low-torque kind.

Hookecho
11-30-2006, 08:04 PM
i can't wait to see how well the toyota does at daytona next year.

ciento44
11-30-2006, 08:07 PM
I agree with that, I wouldn't claim they're ten years ahead, either. Especially since it seems that now (10 years after Honda's 100hp/L engines became popular) most car companies are moving to torquey, balanced engines instead of the high-revving low-torque kind.

I believe toyota has had their share of 100hp/litre engines as well...

Silvertop 4age, Blacktop 4age, BEAMS engines.

I'm sure there's more, and especially quite a few that with minor tuning easily acheive that goal.