PDA

View Full Version : mr2 non lsd or s54?

bongbbreakin
11-20-2006, 01:26 AM
so a local guy has an non lsd turbo mr2 trans at his house that he wants to sell with prox 70k miles. he said hed give it away for a few hundred dollars. since my s53 trans is going to be taken out and swapped for something different, as far is pricing and durability goes, i was debating if it would be better to get the mr2 one and do the whole conversion or just get the s54 and swap it right out. let me know thanks

TheNefariousOne
11-20-2006, 01:51 AM
MR2 tranny is gonna require new axles and mounts...something to consider. It will handle more power and give better gas mileage.

So it comes down to if you want a short geared transmission that will be easier to swap in or want to spend the extra money and effort to get the MR2 trans and have longer gears...

burnyd
11-20-2006, 02:51 AM
ok like I said before.. im kind of local I meen its a decent drive for the trans and finding them low mileage is really really really really really really hard... but anywho. With your car you would have to do the following to make it work with lets say a E153 mr2 trans.

other than the following I have which will work with your car... my mr2 turbo clutch, inner axles, Carrier bearing bracket.

youll need the top trans mount from an alltrac.
rear trans mount and cross member from an alltrac
Shifter setup .... well the linkage from a alltrac from it all your shifter cables will work you just need to setup the shifter brackets and actuator from an alltrac... its really not hard to do. But the parts you can get from someone who bought a swap and is not using hte transmission.

Its a better trans it last longer longer gearing meens you can hold boost longer in gear. And you get traction!

Cavanagh
11-20-2006, 03:39 AM
ok like I said before.. im kind of local I meen its a decent drive for the trans and finding them low mileage is really really really really really really hard... but anywho. With your car you would have to do the following to make it work with lets say a E153 mr2 trans.

other than the following I have which will work with your car... my mr2 turbo clutch, inner axles, Carrier bearing bracket.

youll need the top trans mount from an alltrac.
rear trans mount and cross member from an alltrac
Shifter setup .... well the linkage from a alltrac from it all your shifter cables will work you just need to setup the shifter brackets and actuator from an alltrac... its really not hard to do. But the parts you can get from someone who bought a swap and is not using hte transmission.

Its a better trans it last longer longer gearing meens you can hold boost longer in gear. And you get traction!

LMAO how many times have you typed this same thing out? People always ask you about this hehe. If i were you, i would just save what you write, so you can just paste it over. :laugh:

burnyd
11-20-2006, 04:08 AM
lol... funny thing is I have typed that out alot.. its just alot of people have no done the converstion.

bongbbreakin
11-20-2006, 10:36 PM
looks like i'll just get an s54 from car-part.com

burnyd
11-20-2006, 11:47 PM
^^ thats prolly your best bet being that one lasted so damn long.. Ill never understand how though lol.

bongbbreakin
11-21-2006, 02:36 AM
haha i know, swap an s54 in and i'll be good for another 300k, hopefully!

burnyd
11-21-2006, 05:02 AM
haha i know, swap an s54 in and i'll be good for another 300k, hopefully!

theres no way you beat on that thing or powershift it. Everytime I see you at salem track your never running your car!