PDA

View Full Version : tranny replacement

Ricksta
11-17-2006, 04:48 AM
well im sick of having a beautiful car that i let just sit in the garage for months and months and months. i want to actually drive it. ive decided i needed a new tranny. lucky me i got an mr2 tranny for free from 2ksnakeater but from what i hear it wont go into gear the tranny is froze somehow. so instead of finding a tranny on mr2oc.com and having to pay a shitload to ship it i was thinking of rebuilding the tranny. how much do you think this would run? what would i be saving if i did it myself? what would i be losing if i didnt?

and do i need to take the motor out to get to the tranny? if so i had an idea of having the car on jackstands and dropping the motor just enough so i can get to the tranny. the wire harness should have enough slack i hope.

91 celica st
11-17-2006, 04:52 AM
you probably dont have the knowledge to do it yourself, its hard the first time, easy after that. plus depending on what you doing (just syncros or replacing everything or if you have auto doing clutch packs...etc) you need special tools witch you most likely dont have, and some things even need to be press fit...i had a hard time the first few times and i had all the tools, it would be near impossible for you to do it w out everything and having someone there thats done it before, i know i wouldntve finished if my pops didnt help me

Ricksta
11-17-2006, 05:11 AM
alright then if the tranny is frozen how much do you think this will run at a shop? i could always fix the tranny i already have it works just it grinds in 3rd...feels real loose and misses gears all the time. which should i fix? and whats the best way to get the tranny out?

91 celica st
11-17-2006, 05:21 AM
getting the tranny out is the easy part on a FWD car, should take you about an hour or so, tearin it apart isnt that bad either, its putting it back together thats hard, theres alot oflittle shit you have to deal with

IMO your not going to be able to rebuild a tranny usrself, expecially not if someone who hast done it before isnt with you.

i guess ur first step would be to try and find out why the other tranny is frozen. is it a 93+ mr2 tranny w lsd or not?

and how does he know the tranny is stuck? was it on the car or did he have it inspected. its pretty hard to mess up a manual tranny and lock it up, it either means the gears are worn down or the dogteeth/ collar is messed up and working improperly witch can be fixed...or if it wasnt working on the car it could have been a csimple clutch or shift linkage problem...wouldnt know unless you bolted it up to a car w a working tranny or had it cehcked out

91 celica st
11-17-2006, 05:23 AM
dpeends on what they need to replace, could be $600 or $2000 you wont know untill u find out what needs to be replaced

burnyd
11-17-2006, 03:54 PM
total rebuild is going to cost you around 1500 dollars from a popular trans shop like cottman. But if its a LSD trans which I duobt it but it would be outrageous to rebuild that.

2kSnakEater
11-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Tranny is out of a 92 Turbo MR2, I was told the Tranny just stoped going into gear and it ran fine with no grinding before that. Tranny has 120k miles and im unsure what the clutch looks like because its still attached to the engine.

the guy was unsure if it was LSD or not, is there any way of telling if it is just by looking at it?

burnyd
11-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Tranny is out of a 92 Turbo MR2, I was told the Tranny just stoped going into gear and it ran fine with no grinding before that. Tranny has 120k miles and im unsure what the clutch looks like because its still attached to the engine.

the guy was unsure if it was LSD or not, is there any way of telling if it is just by looking at it?

lol sounds like someone beat on it. it needs new synchros. But no its not lsd. But ricksta heres what your going to have to do.

REBUILD THAT trans!!

-1500 bux.

after you will have to swap the entire shifter setup from your current trans to make that mr2 trans fwd. If I was you I would do the following. Which I have only told you about prolly 20x.

Spend 4-500 dollars on a camry/solara v6 trans I found liek 5 of them on car-part.com for florida. Buy it and it will work perfect already setup for fwd and has stronger synchros. It would save you a grand plus the day you get it is the day you can put it on the car.

Rebuilding a trans would be great and all because it would be brand new. But honestly the solara/camry trans synchros are so strong most mr2 owners are putting that trans in their car.

Ricksta
11-17-2006, 07:53 PM
what is the difference in the gearing? is the solora tranny going to be as good as the mr2 tranny? is my second gear going to be as tall? will this tranny be able to handle the hp like an mr2 tranny can?

Ricksta
11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
o wait...solora is a 5sfe tranny isnt it. dood ive got one of those sitting in my garage i dont want that garbage in my car. that tranny will not last long in that car.

burnyd
11-17-2006, 08:19 PM
what is the difference in the gearing? is the solora tranny going to be as good as the mr2 tranny? is my second gear going to be as tall? will this tranny be able to handle the hp like an mr2 tranny can?

it holds horsepower better. But for what your putting out it will be good. But the gears all like usual in a e153 just rediculously tall.

burnyd
11-17-2006, 08:20 PM
o wait...solora is a 5sfe tranny isnt it. dood ive got one of those sitting in my garage i dont want that garbage in my car. that tranny will not last long in that car.

no. all v6/3sgte fwd cars are e153. So you find a 5spd solara v6. Or a 5spd Camry v6 trans. Get what I am saying?

91 celica st
11-17-2006, 08:45 PM
92=no lsd...burnyd is right if it has 120K on the tranny and it need sto be rebuilt dont bother, u can get the solora tranny or a 93+ for around 800-1200 in good condition with better syncros and lsd.

to clear it up ricky there all e-153 but they have diff gear ratios and final drives and the syncros are diffrent, i belive the solora (1mz-fe) and 93+lsd tranny have double coned syncros onm 2nd and 3rd but not 100% on that one...and the 1mz-fe V6 solora engine had 200hp so the tranny will deff be able to hold the power for ur 3s

Ricksta
11-17-2006, 09:56 PM
92=no lsd...burnyd is right if it has 120K on the tranny and it need sto be rebuilt dont bother, u can get the solora tranny or a 93+ for around 800-1200 in good condition with better syncros and lsd.

1200?!?! for that price i miles well just go and get an mr2 lsd tranny.

are you tryin to tell me the solora v6 tranny has lsd?!?!?!

my mr2 axels will work on this tranny right?

ciento44
11-17-2006, 10:18 PM
1200?!?! for that price i miles well just go and get an mr2 lsd tranny.

are you tryin to tell me the solora v6 tranny has lsd?!?!?!

my mr2 axels will work on this tranny right?

Yes, Ricky, it has LSD.

burnyd
11-17-2006, 10:52 PM

to clear it up ricky there all e-153 but they have diff gear ratios and final drives and the syncros are diffrent, i belive the solora (1mz-fe) and 93+lsd tranny have double coned syncros onm 2nd and 3rd but not 100% on that one...and the 1mz-fe V6 solora engine had 200hp so the tranny will deff be able to hold the power for ur 3s

they dont go for that much money thats just insane... there 600 dollars at most. I usually see them for 450-600.

yes the solara and camry have double cones synchros.

91 celica st
11-17-2006, 11:15 PM
mi was talming about the 93+lsd trannys usually on mr2oc poeple are trying to get like 800 if there 100K+ miles or like 1200 if there fariley new

yea the solara trannys are cheap, theres a bunch at the junkyard by me and they usually have low miles cuzthe cars are fairly new

ciento44
11-17-2006, 11:16 PM
The other advantage to the Solara trannies is that they're pretty much set to go. You need to do axles i think, but i believe Ricksta's already setup for that. None of this dealing with transverse mount bullshit, though.

Ricksta
11-17-2006, 11:20 PM
so i can pick up a solora lsd tranny for like 450ish. take mine out and still use the axels i have in taht tranny and im good to go?

burnyd
11-17-2006, 11:31 PM
so i can pick up a solora lsd tranny for like 450ish. take mine out and still use the axels i have in taht tranny and im good to go?

YESSIR!!!!

ciento44
11-17-2006, 11:48 PM

do it Do it Do It DO it DO IT DO IT DO IT DOIT DOIT DOIT DOIT!!

burnyd
11-17-2006, 11:54 PM
do it..........still not going to save you... but do it!

91 celica st
11-18-2006, 12:02 AM
ricky if you cant find one im sure i can get you onem, i used to work atan auto salvage yard pullin engines all day and i know they have a few solora's there. i think there around 500 (depending onmiles and condition) but shipping will rape u scince im in cali

Ricksta
11-18-2006, 12:41 AM
it shouldnt be a problem finding one here in town. i just took it for a ride and no even hitting full boost and the torque steer is fucking insane. if i had power steering theres no way i would be able to hold that thing fucking straight. what i dont understand is that you can pick up these solora tranny's for like 500 bucks with lsd but everyone instead goes and spends 1500 plus for the mr2 lsd setup.... why?!?!

2kSnakEater
11-18-2006, 01:24 AM
dude if you HAD power stearing you could hold that alot easier.

burnyd
11-18-2006, 06:27 AM
it shouldnt be a problem finding one here in town. i just took it for a ride and no even hitting full boost and the torque steer is fucking insane. if i had power steering theres no way i would be able to hold that thing fucking straight. what i dont understand is that you can pick up these solora tranny's for like 500 bucks with lsd but everyone instead goes and spends 1500 plus for the mr2 lsd setup.... why?!?!

lol you didnt hit full boost yet you had torque steer... hrrrmmm on my lsd trans I had torque steer at 15psi with a ct26 on a tmic. and yes I had a mr2 lsd trans. But anyways yes everyone pics up the mr2 trans because it goes right in with the inners.... the solara trans it has to be converted to rwd.