PDA

View Full Version : Teh ball = rolling

MCcelica
11-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Just sent in my order for lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends to 1sttoyotaparts.com and I'll be ordering the ground controls and either the bilstien, or KYB AGX shocks tomorrow. :D :D :D :D :D NSY=happy.

That is all.

ciento44
11-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Just sent in my order for lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends to 1sttoyotaparts.com and I'll be ordering the ground controls and either the bilstien, or KYB AGX shocks tomorrow. :D :D :D :D :D NSY=happy.

That is all.

You has a credit card, IC. :P

Congrats dude. :)

Now you HAVE to bring that thing out to the Dragon meet.

MCcelica
11-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Debit card, cheaper that way in the long run. But for me to be able to explain that you'll need a little history first. When my old car (my avatar) got totalled, my pops said he'd sell me his car (my current one). We made an agreement that he would "Fix up anything that needed done" before he sold it to me. Well, I informed him as to the condition of the suspension and he classified it as "Something I should have taken care of before I sold it to you. How much is it going to be?" Which is why, in the thread I made about my new wheels, I said "This could be happening much sooner than I originally thought" cause I told him how much I needed. He sent me a little extra for "screw up room". So, that plus what I made on my last paycheck gave me a little over $950 to play with even after my donation to Play. :woot: for leaching off of parents. I've become a ninja at that.

As for the dragon meet, I still have the credit card to pay off, but I'm already down to $2,300 even. I'd also have to check and see if I've been at my job long enough to get some vacation time, which I doubt cause I've only been there since mid May. One of these days I'll go to a meet though.

MCcelica
11-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Ok. So I lied. Turns out Bilstien doesn't make a performance shock for my car, only touring class. Same for KYB, only thing I can get to work from them is the GR-2. The only shock that will work is a set of Koni's which as you know are rediculously expensive. What would you guys do? I know I'm going to be driving like a maniac on 'em and I don't want the shocks to crap out, and there is no warranty (Except for like a 30 second, 30 feet warranty) on the GR-2s. At the same time I don't want the konis trashing the rest of my suspension and frame.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Flames? I'm open to anything atm.

KoreanJoey
11-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Konis... just get them... also do your bushings (it's part of the suspension) and alignment. Konis are pretty easy to install just takes some time. and they aren't that bad it's like 600-700 for all 4. And they come with a lifetime warranty (oh and if they do wear out at the time you get your warranty you can get them revalved stiffer if you want).

MCcelica
11-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Yeah, the guy said that with the Koni's and the ground control it'll be about 1k for all four units. So if I get that setup, and I ordered lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends, will I need to buy the bushings separatly or will it come with everything else? If I do have to order them separatly, will oem ones from say auto zone work?

KoreanJoey
11-21-2006, 10:23 PM
OEM works fine but I'd recommend since you're going through all of this already order some poly bushings from www.toyheadauto.com

MCcelica
11-22-2006, 07:16 AM
That might have to wait then. At least for a few weeks or so. Gotta get paid again.

KoreanJoey
11-22-2006, 07:20 AM
it's worth it... definately a plus.

VikingJZ
12-13-2006, 04:03 AM
Bushings were pretty cheap the last time I checked. I think somewhere I saw polys for $39?

Is there a noticeable difference when you put new ones in?

KoreanJoey
12-13-2006, 07:41 AM
oh the polys were a bit more for the full set... I think 120 or so. And yes there is a HUGE difference w/ the poly bushings... I don't know how much of a difference it would have been if I just put new bushing on but the car is far more solid feeling/ more responsive.

MCcelica
12-13-2006, 11:26 PM
The rest of the setup should be here tomorrow. :D

96celica
12-28-2006, 10:06 PM
If your looking to get uprated Shocks....and want better handling your best bang for the buck will be to get TEIN SS coilovers...
adjustable ride height/dampening ect... shocks and springs matched to each other....best way imo

KoreanJoey
12-29-2006, 12:32 AM
If your looking to get uprated Shocks....and want better handling your best bang for the buck will be to get TEIN SS coilovers...
adjustable ride height/dampening ect... shocks and springs matched to each other....best way imo

I'm sorry dude, but the Konis are a much better shock than the Tein dampers and that makes for a better starting point. If you go with Ground-Control coil-over springs/perches you can select the spring rate you want to work with the shock. You also have the ability to have the konis revalved stiffer if you ever decide you want to go with a stupidly stiff setup for race only suspension setups.

96celica
12-31-2006, 08:41 PM
no shit sherlock.....

if you read i said....best bang for your buck...i doubt he'll make use of revalving and the full capabilities of a set of Konis....springs w/matched shocks from tein will pretty much suffice for most anyone on this site at a pretty good price

KoreanJoey
12-31-2006, 10:00 PM
How much are the Teins running for? 2k? I'm sorry bud it's still cheaper to build up with the Konis.

Rio_Cyber
01-01-2007, 12:52 AM
i dunno for 5 gen , but on 4 gen outer tie rods are exactly the same as for mazda 323 (protege), costing some ~15 $

MCcelica
01-01-2007, 09:07 AM
no shit sherlock.....

if you read i said....best bang for your buck...i doubt he'll make use of revalving and the full capabilities of a set of Konis....springs w/matched shocks from tein will pretty much suffice for most anyone on this site at a pretty good price

Doesn't matter. Tein only makes their SS coilovers for 5th and 7th gens. At least that's what I found after hours of searching. I mean, sure I could prolly adapt them, but by that time it's just not cost effective anymore. The ground controls are prettymuch where its at for me. All I'm waiting for is for them to ship them and for the rest of this snow to melt off so I can put them on :D

oh, and btw, I'll use any capability I have if necessary :hehe:

96celica
01-03-2007, 10:23 PM
TEIN SS are DEFENITLY made for the 6gc......at a cost of $1200 USD brand new....
there is also a set available over on 6gc.net for ~$800 off my friend's car...

a .05 sec search reveals this
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=TEIN+SS+6gc&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

http://www.optionimports.com/tetysscofor920.html

and it couldn't have been on TEIN USA's website could it!?
http://www.tein.com/toyota.html
it is

But even still the GC and KONI setup will prove pretty nice!

KoreanJoey
01-03-2007, 10:33 PM
TEIN SS are DEFENITLY made for the 6gc......at a cost of $1200 USD brand new....
there is also a set available over on 6gc.net for ~$800 off my friend's car...

a .05 sec search reveals this
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=TEIN+SS+6gc&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

http://www.optionimports.com/tetysscofor920.html

and it couldn't have been on TEIN USA's website could it!?
http://www.tein.com/toyota.html
it is

But even still the GC and KONI setup will prove pretty nice!

Yes the TEINs are made for the 6gc. But truth of it is it's still a basic setup. Nothing radical. It's made to support the largest market of people. The great thing about the Konis and the GC coil-overs it their adaptability to changing tastes. Although, if you can get a set of TEIN coil-overs for under a grand that's still a damn good deal.

MCcelica
01-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Well it doesn't matter. The UPS man delivered my toys today. So I got my Koni's and GC's right next to me. I'd post pictures but I can't find the damn cable to load 'em up to my computer at the moment. I've been looking for the better part of half an hour. Once I find it though. :D (Little school girl squeel) Yeeeee me = excited! :laugh: