PDA

View Full Version : CT26 Used Confused Turbo Question

Ghost Chipmunk
11-16-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm confused. When I look on ebay closed auctions (things that have already been sold) I see old CT26 turbochargers getting sold for like $150, but of course a whole lot more if they are rebuilt or have upgraded innards or what-have-you.

Then I saw a good turbo-shop talking about $800 core charges for rebuilt CT-26's. Why an $800 core charge if you can get one for $150?

This CT26 represents a good sized hunk of forged metal. So I would expect that we're not just bolting new turbos on and throwing the old ones over our shoulders into the trash can... but I'm a little unclear on the worth of these things.

I have a nice nused rebuilt CT26 that I am going to put into this '91 Alltrac. But what about the original? I could certainly use the money from selling it, if it is worth something, to buy something else for this greedy little alltrac. On the other hand, having an old maybe slightly leaky but serviceable turbo lying around might be handy down the road. It definitely works well enough that if I had to have work done on the rebuilt turbo, I could just put this old one on no problem.

What do most people do? Keep the old one laying around just in case?

Trance4c
11-16-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm confused. When I look on ebay closed auctions (things that have already been sold) I see old CT26 turbochargers getting sold for like $150, but of course a whole lot more if they are rebuilt or have upgraded innards or what-have-you.

Then I saw a good turbo-shop talking about $800 core charges for rebuilt CT-26's. Why an $800 core charge if you can get one for $150?

This CT26 represents a good sized hunk of forged metal. So I would expect that we're not just bolting new turbos on and throwing the old ones over our shoulders into the trash can... but I'm a little unclear on the worth of these things.

I have a nice nused rebuilt CT26 that I am going to put into this '91 Alltrac. But what about the original? I could certainly use the money from selling it, if it is worth something, to buy something else for this greedy little alltrac. On the other hand, having an old maybe slightly leaky but serviceable turbo lying around might be handy down the road. It definitely works well enough that if I had to have work done on the rebuilt turbo, I could just put this old one on no problem.

What do most people do? Keep the old one laying around just in case?

A used CT26 is not worth more than 100-150 bucks if you ask me. These places making crazy core prices, thats just they're way of making more money off you up front if you don't have a turbo to give them. It has nothing to do with the price of the CT26, that is just a way of conducting business to make more money. Again, core prices have NOTHING to do with actual real world worth of a part.

As for what do people do with them? sell them, ebay them.. upgrade them, etc. I have recently scaled back my goals in an effort to retain stock like drivability and have picked up a used CT26 to have made into a CT27 which ATS Racing creates. I believe ATS's core charge is 300 dollars, but again, 300 dollars is not a market price, its a core charge. If someone is so lazy not to get a good decent rebuildable core then ATS can make another 150 bucks or so off someone. It doesn't make sense to a budget oriented car enthusiats to throw away another 150 bucks or so when you can get them for 150 bucks to start with.

ebay CT26 - 150 bucks
used core sent in - save 300 dollar core charge.
Overall savings = 150 bucks.

no CT26 - 0 bucks
no core sent in - spend 300 dollars on core charge
Overall savings = 0 bucks and for the 150 you would have spent, the company your getting your turbo from just made another 150 on top of that off you. DOH!! <- you dumb.

Thats about the best way to put it.

tankd0g
11-16-2006, 06:48 PM
A new turbo is $900-$2000 depending on what you are getting just like a new engine is $4000-$6000. Used prices are whatever you can get for it. What is the price after core charge refund? That's all that matters.

ciento44
11-16-2006, 06:53 PM
PS: You can get a Holset for really damn cheap, and they're FAR superior to CT-anything. :p

You'd probably have to make a custom mounting bracket, but to a certain point, even a Holset HY35 is more efficient than a GT30R. Not bad for a turbo you can readily find for $300, in just about perfect condition.

andy
11-19-2006, 03:35 AM
linky please sir. oh and i do have a spare ct lying around JIC

ciento44
11-19-2006, 02:36 PM
linky please sir. oh and i do have a spare ct lying around JIC
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HY35-Holset-turbo-2001-Dodge-Cummins-Diesel_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ006QQi temZ160051848307QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I'm going to ask my buddy here where he got his for that cheap.

Ghost Chipmunk
11-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Good to know. I'm just going to hang onto the old one. Should make a really cool doorstop.