PDA

View Full Version : I lost a bet today

turbost
11-16-2006, 02:43 PM
i bought a celica st w/boosted 3sfe motor a week ago. anyway, i am a friend of hookecho's and naturally i have been talking shit to him all week on how he needs to race me so he can watch a boosted st out run his built up 5sfe.
well, he agreed but told me if i lost that i would have to post my defeat on celicatech.

i lost...........several times.........several car lengths..........wtf.

2kSnakEater
11-16-2006, 02:53 PM
thats why we tell people not to race STs, im sorry you learned your lesson the hard way, maybe this should be a sticky to tech the other ST owners that this board has.

hobbie2k
11-16-2006, 03:10 PM
But he said is has a boosted 3sfe, meaning it's no ordinary ST. Probably a combination of driver and a motor with some bugs, yet.

The driver can make a MASSIVE difference in the performance of a car. Even in a drag race.

2kSnakEater
11-16-2006, 03:41 PM
and he bought it already boosted, with the 3sfe. mmmm, could be po problems.

Cavanagh
11-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Just because it is an ST, doesnt mean it cant be fast. :slap: A 3sgte st would work a stock alltrac.

Luni
11-16-2006, 04:18 PM
What I want to know is how is a boosted anything losing to a 5SFE.

How much "work" can you really put into one short of a turbo?

Highest Ive seen is like 160hp out of a 5SFE. That should be childs play in a boosted 3SFE.

Hookecho
11-16-2006, 04:42 PM
it wasn't the driver. we swaped cars and the gts still beat the st. don't get me wrong though.....it was fun to drive and i watched him race another st and was amazed at the difference the turbo makes. i would like to see him race a stock gt though. the motor sounds good and the previous owner had reciepts from were the local speed shop put the kit in. yet, that means nothing. he was running at 5psi. i know he can get alot more out of it though.

zmile06
11-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Well im pretty shocked, i have no idea why you lost lol. Throw it on the dyno and figure it out, maybe your turbo is crap. If everything is working properly you should of schooled him.

And whats wrong with the ST, i can still beat a z24 rice cavalier. And trust me ST's weigh a crap load less then a GT and alltrac, ya there slow as hell but if you swap something in there it will be a weight advantage still.

I would still rather have an alltrac AWD, celicas have a huge problem getting the power to the ground so an alltrac would hopefully fix some of those problems.

ciento44
11-16-2006, 06:48 PM
it wasn't the driver. we swaped cars and the gts still beat the st. don't get me wrong though.....it was fun to drive and i watched him race another st and was amazed at the difference the turbo makes. i would like to see him race a stock gt though. the motor sounds good and the previous owner had reciepts from were the local speed shop put the kit in. yet, that means nothing. he was running at 5psi. i know he can get alot more out of it though.

How far are you guys from Indianapolis? I've got a stock GT he can run. :Ban1: :wiggle:

What kind of quarter mile are you running, anyways, with the work you have on your 5sfe?

Blackcloud
11-16-2006, 07:17 PM
ST = Slow Toyota

turbost
11-16-2006, 07:41 PM
well i'm sure i have a sound motor. that much i do know. maybe there is more i can do with the turbo set up. i guess i'm realy not that suprised he beat me, but he was more suprised than i was. that's why we swapped cars. he thought i was being a shitty driver. what really fucked my head up was to see him take a 2.4l n/a Cobalt.....twice, and those cars are pretty fast. i don't know if he just found the perfect setup or what but that car pulls so fucking hard. i'm not just saying this because he's my freind, but he spent months working on that motor, taking his time, and researching every little thing there is to know about a motor. he believe's my car should be faster than it is. best part is he'll be the one to make my car out run his own.

Sean
11-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Your definition of a fast car is somewhat comical.

Rix86
11-16-2006, 08:56 PM
boosted 3sfe.... WHY??????

90CelicaST
11-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I call BS on a turbo 3SFE. Pics or ban :D
And to 2k, how about you chill on the bashing of the STs. "maybe this should be a sticky to tech the other ST owners that this board has." How about I sticky a thread containing how to spell teach? And not all ST owners have boosted 3SFEs that lose to GTs buddy, so this loss has nothing to do with us.

91 celica st
11-16-2006, 11:36 PM
he might be talking about a 4th gen, they had 3sfe's but he says its a 91 so it should have a 4afe if hes in the states.

and btw a boosted st would kill a gt or gt/s celica, an st with i/h/e wil beat a gt/s.
my first turbo setup, witch was shitty, and untuned on a small IC ran consistent 14's. the only 15 i ran was my frist run and it was a low 15...you must both suck at driving or something is wrong with it

Cavanagh
11-16-2006, 11:41 PM
I call BS on a turbo 3SFE. Pics or ban :D
And to 2k, how about you chill on the bashing of the STs. "maybe this should be a sticky to tech the other ST owners that this board has." How about I sticky a thread containing how to spell teach? And not all ST owners have boosted 3SFEs that lose to GTs buddy, so this loss has nothing to do with us.
+1

Colossus20v
11-17-2006, 12:46 AM
thats why we tell people not to race STs, im sorry you learned your lesson the hard way, maybe this should be a sticky to tech the other ST owners that this board has.
I like my ST.

TEAMFaint
11-17-2006, 02:23 AM
Was this from a DIG or from a roll. If from a roll, he will probably have a bit better advantage for the simple fact of it being NA and the throttle response is better. If from a DIG, same reason.

I dont know, how much PSI you got on your 3SFE? I'm guessing 7, so that will be 130 coming from a stock 3SFE, add a turbo..so maybe 180 which will be what, 120 to the wheels about? Stock 5SFE puts what, 90 to the wheels? Built up maybe 110-115..close race I would think, maybe he's jsut an all around better driver than both of you guys.

P.S I would own a ST if I found one for the right price, nothing wrong with them. My 86 GT only has 115 horsepower haha :hehe:

KoreanJoey
11-17-2006, 02:43 AM
105fwhp from stock 5SFEs... that's what Joel (freshly rebuilt) put down that's what the Zebra (brand new block from Toyota) puts down.

Murgatroy
11-17-2006, 05:34 AM
Was this from a DIG or from a roll. If from a roll, he will probably have a bit better advantage for the simple fact of it being NA and the throttle response is better. If from a DIG, same reason.

I dont know, how much PSI you got on your 3SFE? I'm guessing 7, so that will be 130 coming from a stock 3SFE, add a turbo..so maybe 180 which will be what, 120 to the wheels about? Stock 5SFE puts what, 90 to the wheels? Built up maybe 110-115..close race I would think, maybe he's jsut an all around better driver than both of you guys.

P.S I would own a ST if I found one for the right price, nothing wrong with them. My 86 GT only has 115 horsepower haha :hehe:
96HP. :P

I know that Chaos with her 4AFE has handed many a high horsepower car thier asses. To the utter surprise of many folks. The ST is still the best Celica platform, other than the ST185, for a performance car. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea of what they are talking about.

Rix86
11-17-2006, 05:57 AM
ST best platform wha wha?

Murgatroy
11-17-2006, 05:58 AM
In terms of 5th Gen FWD Celicas, the ST is the best starting point for a performance build up.

Rix86
11-17-2006, 06:01 AM
UUUHHHHHHH..........
HOW?
because it's lighter?

91 celica st
11-17-2006, 06:01 AM
In terms of 5th Gen FWD Celicas, the ST is the best starting point for a performance build up.
my st weighs 2300 pounds w no one in it, about 2500 w me in it...stripped no a/c and stuff thats y its the best platform, its lightweight

Murgatroy
11-17-2006, 06:08 AM
It is lightest and stiffest. Since it is available as a coupe only, it has a stiffer chassis. And as noted, it weighs in at 2300lbs. With a little bit of work, it is concievable to have a dry weight of 2000lbs. Now imagine a 200HP engine in a 2000lb car. That is a recipe for success.

Rix86
11-17-2006, 06:24 AM
funnay.
sounds like a crx hf arguement.

david in germany
11-17-2006, 06:27 AM
Yup, the st is not a hp mad car but for what it has it will do well! (I have the same top end shutdown as a gts) and have walked away from a Trans Am with 300+ hp (he hit hit max speed of 115mph(computer limited) :owned: and I shut down at 135mph

By the way the above was on the autobahn and in no way did we endanger other motorists (EXCEPT FOR HIM HOLDING UP TRAFFIC AT 115MPH)HAHAHAHAHA

Luckynumber5
11-17-2006, 06:48 AM
I bought my ST for $500, its automatic, and I still dont have it running yet after more than a year of dicking around with a crap turbo setup and a rebuilt automatic transmission. BTW I say if you are gonna turbo a 4afe you use the auto with a high stall converter, only way you are gonna spool any decent turbo LoL

edit: new sig

GRUMPY514
11-17-2006, 04:23 PM
What I want to know is how is a boosted anything losing to a 5SFE.

How much "work" can you really put into one short of a turbo?

Highest Ive seen is like 160hp out of a 5SFE. That should be childs play in a boosted 3SFE.

I mean honestly

My brother beat a 5sfe in our his ST celica...... lol

All he had was intake/exhaust.

tankd0g
11-17-2006, 04:54 PM
It is lightest and stiffest. Since it is available as a coupe only, it has a stiffer chassis. And as noted, it weighs in at 2300lbs. With a little bit of work, it is concievable to have a dry weight of 2000lbs. Now imagine a 200HP engine in a 2000lb car. That is a recipe for success.

Doesn't it save most of that weight by having a little motor, little brakes and little wheels though?

tankd0g
11-17-2006, 04:56 PM
I'd say check that 5SFE car out and see how much stuff has been cut out of it. Just dumping my spare and the factory seats was like 80-100lbs.

91 celica st
11-17-2006, 05:01 PM
plus not having power stuff. smaller engine, no widebody (gt-s)...the little thingsadd up

2kSnakEater
11-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Yup, the st is not a hp mad car but for what it has it will do well! (I have the same top end shutdown as a gts) and have walked away from a Trans Am with 300+ hp (he hit hit max speed of 115mph(computer limited) :owned: and I shut down at 135mph

By the way the above was on the autobahn and in no way did we endanger other motorists (EXCEPT FOR HIM HOLDING UP TRAFFIC AT 115MPH)HAHAHAHAHA

what year T/A? Auto or 5spd or 6spd? I was not aware that any T/A was ecu limited to 115, Iv heard stories that the 4th Gen F-body was limited at 165mph but Iv never heard of anybody reaching that on the highway.

ciento44
11-17-2006, 06:45 PM
I mean honestly

My brother beat a 5sfe in our his ST celica...... lol

All he had was intake/exhaust.

I've covered every ST with original engine, no boost that i've met, with no problems whatsoever...

Got one last weekend from a dig and roll, in between racing the GSRs. Didn't really think it qualified as a good kill, so i left it out of that thread.

If i'm just about exactly even with a 1993 Teg GSR (race outcome depending on driver error), i highly doubt an ST, even with i/h/e is going to keep up with me.

Yep.... bone stock, full interior GT.

Murgatroy
11-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Given the right circumstances, Chaos has taken ST185s and swaps.

Cavanagh
11-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Yep.... bone stock, full interior GT.
Bone stock like that short ram intake eh? :) :hehe:

burnyd
11-17-2006, 06:59 PM

like racing in reverse?

ciento44
11-17-2006, 07:05 PM

From a handling point of view, there's no way that i'm arguing that. :P And even from a dig, i'm sure that depending on the driver, it's entirely more than possible. :)

Same reason why i'm hanging with the GSR.

Bone stock like that short ram intake eh?

I'm not even sure if it can be called a short ram....It's shorter than that... But yeah... i'm sure my ghetto $4 short ram is making a huge difference. That and my broke-ass exhuast. Ok... so i guess i'm not stock. :P I've spent $4 in mods. OH NOES!! :lolhittin :bowdown:

But yeah, it's more than enough to surprise the hell out of ricers and V6 Mustangs. Get your ass out here sometime, i'll let you drive it. Maybe i'll trade you, i want a 4agze ST.

Cavanagh
11-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Tradind sounds good.... I need to make a date when i can make it up there.

zmile06
11-17-2006, 07:55 PM
I wana go on the autobahn!