PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifice top speed for acceleration?

Sinnerj
11-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi, 1st post..
Anyways I have a 3SFE which I plan to 3SGE in a few months. Just working on suspension setups right now and exhaust system setups.
Anyways is there a way I can sacrifice my top speed of 120-130mph for faster 0-90 or 0-100mph acceleration? Is this even possible? Will a tranny swap do? That and what kind of trannys are compatible with the 3SFE?
Thx

JBfromoz
11-14-2006, 11:19 AM
heya
i dont know what options are available as such, however usually top speed/gearing etc would be more likely to be adjusted with diff ratios. this changes the teeth ratio on the pinion to crown wheel, and affects across the board on all gears.
hope this is some helpful
JB

Sinnerj
11-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Yeah I see what you mean.. but does anyone else know if a tranny swap would be an option for this set up?

Hiko
11-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Did a bit of searching, and the best I could come up with would be that the s53 transmission has a shorter final drive than an s52. I have no idea what transmission the 3sfe and 1st gen 3sge use.

If you could find out what your immediate options are like, it would be easier to find a suitable upgrade.

Edit: BTW, from what I know, the s53 *should* be able to work with a 3sfe.

Sinnerj
11-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Im a newbie when it comes to tranny stuff..
What car is that 1 out of?

I guess I got into thinking about this because my friend who has a mod'ed Corolla GTS(ae86) switched out his tranny and now he tops out at like 110 instead of w/e the top speed that car comes in. The good side was that he can get to his final speed a lot quicker.

Hiko
11-14-2006, 08:30 PM
s53 is from a 90-93 celica with a 5sfe. I think the year that switched over to the s54 was 94 for the sixth gen.

I don't know if your car is your DD, but if it is and you commute on the highway, watch out for the fact that you'll get worse milage probably, and the engine will be revving very high at speed. I personally get tired on being at like 3500 at 80mph.
Just food for thought.

Cavanagh
11-14-2006, 10:18 PM
:hehe:
Hi, 1st post..
Anyways I have a 3SFE which I plan to 3SGTE in a few months.

*Fixed* :hehe:

Slider
11-15-2006, 02:25 AM
Get smaller tires, it will throw your speedo off, and on the highway you'll be at higher rpms then before.

Cavanagh
11-15-2006, 03:38 AM
Getting a different size tire throws your speedometer off?

Slider
11-15-2006, 06:00 AM
Getting a different size tire throws your speedometer off?

Yup: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Going with a lower profile tire compared to stock has almost the same effect as having a higher final gear. Altough doing this will make the car lower and the fender gap will be bigger making it look odd.

Murgatroy
11-15-2006, 06:20 AM
The 4th gen also got the S53 tranny behind the 3SFE and 3SGE. So a tranny out of a 5th gen is gonna do you no difference.

TheNefariousOne
11-15-2006, 06:23 AM
I think you meant correct, but said wrong. Going to a physically smaller or larger tire is the same as changing a final gear. A lower profile tire that it is the same size as the stock tire will not affect the gearing. Ever wonder why cars geared specifically for gas mileage (e.g. Honda CRX HF, Geo Metro) have miniscule tires? That's why.

Just figured I'd clear that up.

Sinnerj
11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
3SGTE is better of course.. but im leaning toward an N/A... 3SGTE costs more?

As long as I...
-can achieve 160+ whp n/a
-achieve something like or as close as possible to go-kart-like handling
-clean overall ride
-exhaust, tint, and some rims

then ill be happy... lol
I just want a nice daily driver and part time street car.

sure, one day when im able to hen of course il either upgrade the engine or just slap a turocharger on it.