PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Question about 4th Gens! :)

TEAMFaint
11-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Took a test drive today...86 Celica GT hatchie. Gorgeous car in my mind. White, power nothing, standard, so fun to drive; completely gutless however.
Little info on her:

86 GT Hatch
White
Manual Locks/Windows
5 Speed
Blue Interior
202,000 kms
New headgasket in the spring (owners father is a certified mechanic and he decided to rip apart the engine to see if the block was doing fine, when he had it out he changed the head gasket)
Burns/Leaks no oil what-so-ever
Asking price $2000 CAN

When I was taking her for a drive I noticed one odd thing though compared to my 5th gen (92 GTS). When I would press in the clutch, I noticed that the pedal pretty much just fell to the floor, with no effort at all. HUGE difference compared to my 5th gen, is this a sign of anything or is this just how 4th gens are?

I will be using this as my daily driver for the winter and even after, shes too gorgeous to pass up, next to no rust..just surface on the front bumper.

Also what engine is in this thing? I noticed its crazy gutless compared to the 5th gen, is it a 3SFE?

ciento44
11-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Took a test drive today...86 Celica GT hatchie. Gorgeous car in my mind. White, power nothing, standard, so fun to drive; completely gutless however.
Little info on her:

86 GT Hatch
White
Manual Locks/Windows
5 Speed
Blue Interior
202,000 kms
New headgasket in the spring (owners father is a certified mechanic and he decided to rip apart the engine to see if the block was doing fine, when he had it out he changed the head gasket)
Asking price $2000 CAN

When I was taking her for a drive I noticed one odd thing though compared to my 5th gen (92 GTS). When I would press in the clutch, I noticed that the pedal pretty much just fell to the floor, with no effort at all. HUGE difference compared to my 5th gen, is this a sign of anything or is this just how 4th gens are?

I will be using this as my daily driver for the winter and even after, shes too gorgeous to pass up, next to no rust..just surface on the front bumper.

Also what engine is in this thing? I noticed its crazy gutless compared to the 5th gen, is it a 3SFE?

Yes, it's a 3sfe i'm almost positive.

As for the clutch pedal, i've noticed that almost all that i've driven have been quite a bit softer than my 5th gen, but i also consider the 5th gen clutch pedal to be really soft, too... so i dunno.

Get that thing, drop in a 3rd gen 3sge, and go have fun. :)

TEAMFaint
11-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Haha I truly don't need another project car...but honestly seeing this thing makes me want to build it up so bad, I want to throw on a clean lip kit, some nice 6 spoke bronze rims and paint the bitch a glossy white...then a 2nd gen 3SGE..

They are just so go-kart style they are hilarious and so much fun to drive. I took corners pretty quickly and it was just so much fun haha.

Anyone else got any input on the clutch issue?

KoreanJoey
11-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Could need a bleed... not quite sure though.

Fuelish
11-14-2006, 01:07 AM
Can't comment on 4th gen clutch, but....my first Celica (first gen '75 ST) had a very "light" clutch......same with my '91 Tercel I used to have....very light. My current '92 vert GT is an auto, unfortunately, and haven't driven a 5th gen manual, so, can't comment as to that on these 5th gen cars, either.
I'd say, as long as it's not slipping or anything, then it's likely "normal," more or less
Little info on her:

86 GT Hatch
White
Manual Locks/Windows
5 Speed
Blue Interior
202,000 kms
Asking price $2000 CAN

TEAMFaint
11-14-2006, 03:51 AM
Well..took her for another drive, felt great. Putting in the offer of $1500 and will probably be picking it up by the end of the week. She needs tires pretty bad (espically for our winters) but thankfully my neighbour is head honcho at the Kal Tire so he can hook me up with 4 14" all-seaons for $350 installed. So $1850 + $100 to register the car = $1950..Max i wanted to spend was $2000 so it worked perfectly.

Just a quick question though, I'm almost 100% sure that it isnt a 3SGE under the hood, and the car is definately not peppy enough to be. What other engine came in the 86 GT's..4-AGE?

ciento44
11-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Well..took her for another drive, felt great. Putting in the offer of $1500 and will probably be picking it up by the end of the week. She needs tires pretty bad (espically for our winters) but thankfully my neighbour is head honcho at the Kal Tire so he can hook me up with 4 14" all-seaons for $350 installed. So $1850 + $100 to register the car = $1950..Max i wanted to spend was $2000 so it worked perfectly.

Just a quick question though, I'm almost 100% sure that it isnt a 3SGE under the hood, and the car is definately not peppy enough to be. What other engine came in the 86 GT's..4-AGE?

It's a 3sfe.

KoreanJoey
11-14-2006, 04:02 AM
Yes 3SFE, not 3SGE not 4AFE.

Cavanagh
11-14-2006, 04:13 AM
Yes, it's a 3sfe i'm almost positive.

Blah blah ramble ramble blah blah :)

Sweet deal man, :bigthumbu have fun, and Pics as soon as you snag her. ;)

Futant3
11-14-2006, 05:26 AM
My only experience with driving a 5th gen manual was a test drive years ago and it too seemed to have a soft clutch. My 4th gen is pretty soft but it's stable, I'd consider bleeding it if it really bothers you though you may find nothing wrong. As long as it doesn't slip and there is no syncro issues in the tranny you should be fine. You might also consider if you drive other cars that its just the transition. I always slam mine through the floor after a week of driving the 85 mustang 5.0.

Murgatroy
11-14-2006, 06:27 AM
3SFE. Just like the 5SFE but only 2 litres. Sounds pretty much like my car, and I paid half that, with $1500 in new parts. :hehe:

Bleed the clutch and you should be fine.

Rick89GTS
11-14-2006, 07:46 AM
It's definitely NOT the 3SFE motor in his 1986 GT.

The 1986 GT & ST came with the 2SE, single OHC with about 96 HP.
From 1987-89 the 3SFE (115HP) replaced the 2SE in the GT & ST models.

Murgatroy
11-14-2006, 08:51 AM
It's definitely NOT the 3SFE motor in his 1986 GT.

The 1986 GT & ST came with the 2SE, single OHC with about 96 HP.
From 1987-89 the 3SFE (115HP) replaced the 2SE in the GT & ST models.
You're right.

2SE 2.0 litre (121.7ci) EFI 97HP @ 4400RPM 118 ft/lbs at 4000 RPM.

Chilton's FTW.

Not a bad power curve, and nice torque numbers there.

I also wasn't aware that the 3SFE (135HP) was rated for more HP than the 5SFE (130). Pwned on torque though. My Chilton's only covers to `90 though. Damn, even the 4AFE is rated for more torque...

4thgenceli
11-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah.. 2se in all 86's *excluding gts*

My clutch was really soft too. I changed out the Master clutch cylinder and it tightened up. That's prolly what's goin on (I bet if you don't change it you may blow it).

They're only $25 USD at Autozone out here.

Rick89GTS
11-14-2006, 03:45 PM
.....I also wasn't aware that the 3SFE (135HP) was rated for more HP than the 5SFE (130).....

The 3SFE = 115 hp, so it's not rated higher than the 5SFE. You're thinking of the 3SGE = 135 hp.

Cavanagh
11-15-2006, 03:40 AM
I learn something new everyday, first time hearing of a 2SE :shrug:

schmooot
11-22-2006, 09:53 PM
m y 4th gen just started doing that....probably the clutch master cylinder going out the door but I don't worry about it