PDA

View Full Version : ST184 vs. GSR vs. GSR vs. 1999 EX

ciento44
11-12-2006, 04:12 PM
I guess i could have posted this in the other GSR thread, and i'm sure that you all think that you know the outcome, but here goes anyways.

Two of my buddies both have GSRs. One is a 1993, and the other is a 1998, i think... not sure on that one.

1993 is a mostly stock B17, with intake, plug wires, fart can. It's a nice car, i've driven it, and ZOMG VTEC KICKS IN HARD y0.

1998(?) has a B18c JDM swap with intake/full exhaust, and whatever other little things.

ST184... ghetto short ram, broken exhaust. Otherwise completely bone stock.

I raced the 1993 a couple times. From a roll, obviously i pull until he hits vtec, then he kindof walks on by. Not as fast as i expected, but it starts to get pretty apparent at the top of 3rd... From a dig, i can get him through third EVERY time. That car is pretty hard to launch... it either bogs like crazy, or smokes the tires like crazy. (Plus, he's only been drivin stick for a few months i think.) But still, i'm proud of that "kill," if you will.

The 1998... I have through first gear, then yes, i obviously get destroyed. Kid can drive, car is quick... probably a mid to low 14 second car.

The EX, mostly stock. Intake, exhaust. The kid has slips for a 16.3 second run, but i have NO clue how he managed to pull that fast considering how hard i pull him. From a dig through the top of 3rd gear, i pulled 5 cars on him. From a 30mph roll in 2nd, i pulled 4. The funniest one is... 30mph roll, he starts in 2nd, i start in third. I still pulled 1 car. :hehe:

Anyways, we all went out to the highway, with a 1993 CX hatch also with us. (D15 SOHC 8valve. :lolhittin He's set up for good handling, which he's definitely accomplished, but i dont think ANYTHING will ever make that engine quick. He's got header, intake, exhaust, 8lb flywheel, and stage 3 clutch.)

The GSRs did a 0-120 or so run, and the 1998 obviously won, but surprisingly, the 1993 started to close once they hit about 100. The high end on that B17 is absolutely ridiculous. I was just watching at first, then i saw the CX hatch start to go for it. We were just cruising around at 75, i saw him downshift and get on it, about 30 yards ahead of me. I just buried the pedal in 5th, and by the time i passed him, i had a good 15mph on him, going about 115.

I managed to take the EX Coupe from 20-110, though in his defense, he was catching me a little near the end, much better top end than the damn 5sfe. (He's got a D16y8 SOHC Vtec)

Did two runs against the 1993 GSR. First was 0-100, he got me by a little less than a car length. Not surprising that he won, but i would have thought by more. :wedge:

Second was another 20-110 roll. As before, had him through 2nd and third, then he started to walk away. Also surprising, didn't notice it as much before, but my 5th gear pulls just as hard, if not slightly harder than his. He ended up getting me by about 2.5 car lengths.

This is pretty encouraging to me... I'm thinking that with some fairly basic improvements, i should be more of a threat to them. (Already was, kindof. Everytime one of them made a driver error, i won.) Maybe a real intake, fix my exhaust, late model camry header, and possibly a mild tune if i can do that for cheap, and i should at least have the 1993 under my belt.

Or next time, i could just spray a 50shot, and not tell them. :P :bowdown:

gt4wannabe
11-13-2006, 07:55 PM
hehe thats pretty darn good runs considering what you went agaisnt....... i know for sure 5SFE pwns Honda 1st gear lol no torque for those things but yeah with those DOHC VTEC's its hard getting past them in 2nd and 3rd....... I've run agaisnt my buddys Subaru Legacy 2.5GT 5spd and damn their 4wd + best 1st gear ratio out of all Subaru's man they pull hard from a dig, he gets so far out can't catch up to him untill possibly 70mph, he even gets our friends WRX from in 1st gear!

ciento44
11-13-2006, 08:09 PM
hehe thats pretty darn good runs considering what you went agaisnt....... i know for sure 5SFE pwns Honda 1st gear lol no torque for those things but yeah with those DOHC VTEC's its hard getting past them in 2nd and 3rd....... I've run agaisnt my buddys Subaru Legacy 2.5GT 5spd and damn their 4wd + best 1st gear ratio out of all Subaru's man they pull hard from a dig, he gets so far out can't catch up to him untill possibly 70mph, he even gets our friends WRX from in 1st gear!

Thanks man. :)

Yeah... the GSRs have to launch low.

Surprisingly, the 93 CX Hatch will get a half car jump on me in first gear... I think that's just because after stripping he weighs less than 1900lbs, and the stage 3 clutch/flywheel and his sticky rubber helps a bit.

And as i've said before... my GT doesn't exactly seem normal. I'd like to take the credit and say that i'm just that good of a driver, but i doubt that's the whole story. It's much faster than it has any right to be.

Anyways, if we go again this coming weekend, i'll try to get someone to film. I bet with a late Camry header and exhaust, i'll be scaring the crap out of the 1993 GSR. Gonna go to the junkyard tomorrow to take a look around for interesting things like that. :)

Doctor Jinxed
11-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Nice kills, bro! Makes me regret never racing my bud's GSR (got stolen and stripped) back in the day just to see where I stood.

Now he has a 7th gen GT-S. Didn't feel as quick as his GSR when I rode in it, but he says it is and hey, the driver knows the car best, if he says its faster, I'm sure I'd get raped. lol