PDA

View Full Version : 'Wide Eyed' '91 Alltrac

Ghost Chipmunk
11-12-2006, 03:18 AM
Just joined the site and so far it has helped me more than I would have believed.

I bought a '91 Alltrac and finally today got the time to go to the DMV to tag and title it. It came a little modded, battery moved to the trunk, bigger air intake etc., all very well done, and mechanically it is outstanding. Outside, it looks rough as hell :-(

One of the things that is wrong is that the passenger side headlight motor had failed, and I guess when the guy I bought it from made it so it would stay up, he just wedged the headlight trim out far enough that it was jammed open. I started working on this, unjamming the trim first so the headlight flopped closed.

Really nice weather today, so I had to take it for a drive. Drove great, but when I got up to about 55 the wind got up under the headlight so there I am barrelling down the road with one headlight flopping open and closed. Everyone thought the car was winking at them, I guess.

Had to turn around and come back home and decided to get both headlights set up so they would just stay open.

That's where CelicaTech helped so much. BGB online and a lot of the forum posts really helped out. The job to get out the headlight/motor assembly went great and I didn't tear anything up. I figured out a way to use the existing bolts to bolt the headlight open, and got it back in. Then I found the right relay to pull in the BGB so that the driver's side headlight will stay up ('RTR'... Retractor... duh) and now I have a 'wide-eyed alltrac' . At least I can drive at night until I get a new motor, and I don't have a 'blinky alltrac' anymore. Thanks again.

Ricksta
11-12-2006, 03:25 AM
i demand pics of said ride :)

go to a junkyard you can get a new headlight cheap

Ghost Chipmunk
11-12-2006, 03:55 AM
Here are a few. Not pretty... don't say I didn't warn you....

tankd0g
11-12-2006, 04:05 AM
Damn did every new 5th gen owner carry lumber in their Celica or what, just about everyone's seats are damaged like that.

alltracman78
11-12-2006, 06:06 AM
The seats tend to wear badly...

Congrats man. These are great cars. :)

Where are you located?

And FYI, the headlights are the same for all the 5th gen Celicas.

andy
11-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Ive actually got two motors from a jdm gt4 that would work, ill let em go cheap. lemme know if you need em ill take some pics

Benny_gustavson
11-12-2006, 11:52 AM
In 4th gen celicas there is a "bimetal heat fuse" or what i should call it, itīs inside the motor. on my 4th gen i opened up the motor and bent back that metall piece and it started working again, dont know for 5th gens if they have the same construction.

GT4SOM
11-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Great celica. Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll find this board very helpful with the info it provides. Go to a junker and just find any light setup of a 5g to fix that problem. st185 FTW!

Ghost Chipmunk
11-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Headlight bolted up worked well, it had rained earlier anyway and was still foggy enough that everyone had headlights on anyway. After making sure it was doing well here in the valley, I went ahead and drove it up the mountain to see some friends. You (anyone who likes driving and knows how and has some control over their right foot) have got to get one of these! With the twisty climbing roads, I didn't even need to speed to have a world-class touring course. Well, I guess the yellow warning speeds signs for turns are technically supposed to be obeyed... heh. It has almost brand new Kumhos on it which grip these roads really well.

As to engines, this is the one I want to keep for now. Car came with goodies... well re-built CT26 and an improved intercooler I need to mount. Right now it still has the original turbo mounted, which is doing fine but is getting old. It'll be nice to have a blow-off valve on it and a little more boost.

I might decide to do some fabrication work on the headlight area anyway, so I'm just leaving the headlights bolted up for now. With the way people drive around here, you kind of feel like you need the headlights on anyway like you are on a motorcycle.

I am in the Blue Ridge Mountains, btw.

ciento44
11-12-2006, 10:16 PM
I am in the Blue Ridge Mountains, btw.

Which means that you're running the Dragon with us in spring, btw. :Ban1: :wiggle:

Fuelish
11-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Which means that you're running the Dragon with us in spring, btw. :Ban1: :wiggle: Ahhhh, "The Dragon" ..... am assuming you mean the one and only US 129 Dragon, no ??? ...awesome drive (would be even better on a sportbike, but....don't have one). 300+ curves over , ummm, 11 or 12 miles, something like that. Fun shtuff, although it's got a fair amount of carnage on it, compared to "normal" roadways..especially motorcycle carnage...oh, well, ya gotta die somehow, eh ?

ciento44
11-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Ahhhh, "The Dragon" ..... am assuming you mean the one and only US 129 Dragon, no ??? ...awesome drive (would be even better on a sportbike, but....don't have one). 300+ curves over , ummm, 11 or 12 miles, something like that. Fun shtuff, although it's got a fair amount of carnage on it, compared to "normal" roadways..especially motorcycle carnage...oh, well, ya gotta die somehow, eh ?

Yes, that one. Check the thread on the meet in the meets section. :)

Ghost Chipmunk
11-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Yah, if you are talking about out in WV then I could do that depending on the date. I'll look at the meet threads. There are also some great roads around here in VA, get off of the Parkway on 56 like you are going to Montebello but then head down into Vesuvius. Some nice back roads in there too. Always fun scaring the f--- out of yourself :-)

BTW here is pic of me behind the wheel after I got the headlights fixed, just so you recognize me this spring:

http://www.afkcorp.org/imagery/webmaster/headlight_quickfix.jpg

Had to photoshop the Beat Red paint to primer color cause it hurt to look at it.