PDA

View Full Version : Time for a New Platform?

bloodredgt
11-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Okay guys. So there's a decision to make here. Not many of you would know but I turboed my 5sfe and enjoyed it for a while. I got a couple of kills under my belt with the 5SFTE set up. My fun was cut short by a blown headgasket which I take could have extra damage to the pistons (since it wasn't tuned I think the original headgasket couldn't take the boost). So I decided to swap the 5SFTE set up out and sell my turbo kit to anyone on the board who would like to pick it up. But there's a catch. I was gonna do this on my own til my parents found out how much the swap would be. They decided if I already spent enough money on my car that they might help me get another platform. With the money I get for selling the car and the money I was about to put into the swap. So is it time to move up to a higher turbo platform?

I was thinking Supra, RX-7, or 3000 GT VR4. Give me some suggestions... should I keep my celica? Or should I try and move up to another platform?

burnyd
11-09-2006, 06:33 AM
mr2

ciento44
11-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Z32 300zx Twin Turbo.

hobbie2k
11-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Twin Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo

Have you considered going for a AllTrac? It's a higher platform without leaving the Celica. Otherwise Z32 300ZX TT. It's sexy.

Slider
11-09-2006, 06:45 AM
FC RX-7 shell + LS1 swap :bigthumbu, Supra :bigthumbu , 3000GT :thumbsdow

91 celica st
11-09-2006, 06:46 AM
i wouldnt reccomend a vr-4 ive worked on wuite a few of them, they make a decent amount of power, depending on first gen 300 or 2nd gen 320, but they are PIGS weighin in at over 3600 pounds. and there not that great at handeling either, not to mention the 6g72tt is one of the most troublesome engines. they break ALOT, not nearly the good rep the supra engine has (bulletproof), but not as bad as a rep that the 13B out of the rx-7 has (i.e. blowing its apex seals all day long), but they do tend to break alot, and have a semi-bad rep for beign unreliable, and cant handle much more power than stock. i PERSONALLY have seen a guy go throuhg 2 stock engines in 60,000 miles before he sold the car, being on a 3rd engine... thats not something i would like to do.

i would say supra is your going to go for drag or want somehthing quick to street race with. rx-7 is you want drift or to do mountain runs...etc

or you could just keep the celica :)

KoreanJoey
11-09-2006, 07:02 AM
RX-7 is a great car IF you don't open up the motor... that's a sure way to create all kinds of problems. A Supra... great in a straight line but mondo money in order to make them handle well. I'd say MR2 personally but it all depends on what you want.

elektrateq
11-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Mitsubishi's die like shit. my first car was an eclipse and I went thru a couple engines/trannies. Before I realized how much it blew.

ciento44
11-09-2006, 04:44 PM
i wouldnt reccomend a vr-4 ive worked on wuite a few of them, they make a decent amount of power, depending on first gen 300 or 2nd gen 320, but they are PIGS weighin in at over 3600 pounds. and there not that great at handeling either, not to mention the 6g72tt is one of the most troublesome engines. they break ALOT, not nearly the good rep the supra engine has (bulletproof), but not as bad as a rep that the 13B out of the rx-7 has (i.e. blowing its apex seals all day long), but they do tend to break alot, and have a semi-bad rep for beign unreliable, and cant handle much more power than stock. i PERSONALLY have seen a guy go throuhg 2 stock engines in 60,000 miles before he sold the car, being on a 3rd engine... thats not something i would like to do.

i would say supra is your going to go for drag or want somehthing quick to street race with. rx-7 is you want drift or to do mountain runs...etc

or you could just keep the celica :)

13Bs break a lot.... if you don't take care of them. My next door neighbor has one with 180k miles on it, with no rebuild, and it runs like a top. And that's not uncommon. I know of three in the area with over 150k.

I'm so sick of hearing about this "APEX SEALS APEX SEALS LOL" bullshit.

2kSnakEater
11-09-2006, 04:55 PM
2002-2004 Z06 > All

but in more reality get an All-Trac, or an LS1 FD or anything with an LS1. If you believe that horse shit about Domestics having cheap plastic then you might want to stay away from all cars and get a huffy, since every car has their own "problems"

ciento44
11-09-2006, 05:00 PM
I second my vote for Z32 TT. The VG30DETT engine is made of win and god. They're sexy as hell. Sure, they're a little heavy, but what japanese "muscle" car isn't? Supras are heavy pigs, too.

And they just look downright evil.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/2268/dscf0418sux1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DO IT DO IT DO IT

Luni
11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Domestics interiors suck shit.

However, Chevys V8 line of engines are good solid motors.

I still recommend finding an NA MR2 and swapping in a V6 or something. Find an MR2 with a blown motor for the shell (even find a 93 turbo so youll have the better brakes)

I dunno. In this import world, nothing can top the SW20 in reliability vs performance points... Unless you spend alot more on a much NEWER turboed car (think WRX, EVO, etc).

Luni
11-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Until you have to work on them Ciento. They are such a pain in the ass.

2 of everything.

Literally.

2kSnakEater
11-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Z32 TT FTW!! just hope to hell you never have to change anything on it since you cannot stick you pinky finger in between the car and the engine.

ciento44
11-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Until you have to work on them Ciento. They are such a pain in the ass.

2 of everything.

Literally.

I know. I had one. And yeah... it sucks bad, but they're so damn worth it.

Sex on wheels, HUGE powerband, and great aftermarket support. And you just have to love a Japanese car you can fit 18x11s on in the back, with no modifications to the body. :)

bloodredgt
11-09-2006, 08:00 PM
the Z32 TT is a nice car. But it's hard to find one in good condition here in Socal. So many of them are high mileage, in need of a paintjob, plus I heard if you want to do anything to do the car, you pretty much have to pull the motor to put anything on it.

I used to like the Z32 TT a lot but it's taken a seat behind RX-7 and Supra for me. I'm lookin to stay in the Toyota family.

The thing I don't like about MR2s is the fact that I can't even lean my chair back to have some fun in the car with the ladyfriend. Also, the boot is just too small to even make a costco/beer run.

Keep in mind that if I do switch to another platform, my celica goes bye bye. I'm gonna need some trunk space. It's nice to have backseats too. RX-7FDs have the rear seat mod that can get be obtained fairly easily on rx7 forums.

My brother has a supra and we've hauled all sorts of shit in it. We even fit a bike in the car without taking the wheel off. Plus the hatch was closed and we fit 3 people in the car (legally with seat belts and stuff). I love the 2jz engine family. I would like to get a twin turbo, but a NA seems more probable.

Fuelish
11-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Mitsubishi's die like shit. my first car was an eclipse and I went thru a couple engines/trannies. Before I realized how much it blew. I had an Eagle Summit Wagon (Mitsu built - forget the Mitsu model name, rebadged for Eagle/Dodge/Plymouth...was sold as Colt Vista by at least one of the other brands)...... was a perfect sized, funky mini-minivan for a small family, but build quality was absolute crap, and was needing annual repairs - I always wished it had been designed and engineered by Toyota. Would've been nice !!!

But, ummmm...to answer bloodredgt's question reigned in by his suggestions, I'd say RX-7 (or Supra, if you're talking the late model years, not just an old gussied up Celica ;) )

Sean
11-09-2006, 08:35 PM
ick, ugly car

TheNefariousOne
11-09-2006, 09:32 PM
LS1 F-body FTW! Low 13s stock, huge aftermarket, room to boot.

2kSnakEater
11-09-2006, 09:41 PM
LS1 F-body FTW! Low 13s stock, huge aftermarket, room to boot.

flame suit on

91 celica st
11-10-2006, 12:19 AM
13Bs break a lot.... if you don't take care of them. My next door neighbor has one with 180k miles on it, with no rebuild, and it runs like a top. And that's not uncommon. I know of three in the area with over 150k.

I'm so sick of hearing about this "APEX SEALS APEX SEALS LOL" bullshit.

you hate hearing it because its true or what?
i have not known an FD with over 100,000 miles withought them blowing....ever

in march of superstreet (i belive thats the one dont quote me on it tho) there was a fd in there where the guy went tought like 3 motors, even 1 had a fresh rebuild, broke it in on a dyno, tuned it and drove it off and the apex seals blew...

not every one blows we know that, but its much commen like DSM's with crankwalk, its notorious for it but not 100% have it...dont get your panties in a bunch

ciento44
11-10-2006, 12:50 AM

in march of superstreet (i belive thats the one dont quote me on it tho) there was a fd in there where the guy went tought like 3 motors, even 1 had a fresh rebuild, broke it in on a dyno, tuned it and drove it off and the apex seals blew...

not every one blows we know that, but its much commen like DSM's with crankwalk, its notorious for it but not 100% have it...dont get your panties in a bunch

Did you not read my reply? Did i not say that if they're taken care of correctly, it's not an issue? Did i not say that i know of multiple examples, have even driven two with more than 150k?

All i'm saying is that non-car guys shouldn't own these cars, because they don't know what they're getting into. I"m not arguing that they're more fragile than a lot of other piston-based engines, but i am arguing that they're perfectly fine/reliable when cared for.

91 celica st
11-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Did you not read my reply? Did i not say that if they're taken care of correctly, it's not an issue? Did i not say that i know of multiple examples, have even driven two with more than 150k?

All i'm saying is that non-car guys shouldn't own these cars, because they don't know what they're getting into. I"m not arguing that they're more fragile than a lot of other piston-based engines, but i am arguing that they're perfectly fine/reliable when cared for.
did you not read mine? the 13b-turbo is unreliable

and yes a rotary engine is reliable like u said in n/a form. i know one that has alot of miles as well, but turboed like the FD is....not so much. the 13bREW is CRAP. why do you think so many poeple swap it out for things like an ls-1? and ill admit it can be reliable, for oh around 40,000-60,000 miles before its due for a rebuild. and for a DD, thats not something u want hanging over your head...I.E. the reason why i said he should avoid the rx-7, just like the 3000gt, the reliability just isnt there like in the supra

again, stop trolling my posts

ciento44
11-10-2006, 02:11 AM

and yes a rotary engine is reliable like u said in n/a form. i know one that has alot of miles as well, but turboed like the FD is....not so much. the 13bREW is CRAP. why do you think so many poeple swap it out for things like an ls-1? and ill admit it can be reliable, for oh around 40,000-60,000 miles before its due for a rebuild. and for a DD, thats not something u want hanging over your head...I.E. the reason why i said he should avoid the rx-7, just like the 3000gt, the reliability just isnt there like in the supra

Oh god dude.... I was talking about FD. As in, turbo.

My posts still stand.

And seriously... i'm not trolling. I'm pointing out misinformation based on stereotypes. I'm here to learn, help where i can, and that includes information that i may know. I'm not here to troll, i'm not here to pick fights.

Peace.

Cavanagh
11-10-2006, 02:27 AM
I would first say mr2, but since you didn't want it..... I do like RX-7s and Supras, but if i had to pick....Supra for sure.

**EDIT**

1996-2000ish BMW M3. :drool: :drool:

goretro77
11-10-2006, 02:32 AM
What's the car's purpose? Drag racing? Roadracer? What's more important to you? All-out power or a balanced agile car? Price bracket? Answer these and it will help weed out a lot of cars and bring focus to what your looking for.

ciento44
11-10-2006, 03:10 AM
I would first say mr2, but since you didn't want it..... I do like RX-7s and Supras, but if i had to pick....Supra for sure.

**EDIT**

1996-2000ish BMW M3. :drool: :drool:

WINNAR@!!

bloodredgt
11-10-2006, 03:35 AM
Car's gonna be my one and only mode of transportation. It's most likely gonna be kept stock besides maybe a drop, wheels, catback, and intake. I'm not really looking to turn up the boost until I get another daily driver.

KoreanJoey
11-10-2006, 05:27 AM

As he said, the 13B is reliable if YOU DON'T OPEN THE MOTOR! How many times does it have to be said? The reason people blow 13Bs if either A: it's been opened up or B: they're running stupid boost.

burnyd
11-10-2006, 07:14 AM

if you do not boost a rotary motor theyll go high mileage. Maybe you read super street and the script of the fastn the furious a little too much... :ohyeah:

andy
11-10-2006, 07:17 AM
get a supra. that should cause satisfaction

MightyAl
11-10-2006, 02:50 PM
If your looking I have a 94 supra TT that I am going to be putting up for sale here in a few weeks.

Idiot Stick
11-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Whats the milage/location on the supra?

Also, 6 speed TTop?

goretro77
11-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Car's gonna be my one and only mode of transportation. It's most likely gonna be kept stock besides maybe a drop, wheels, catback, and intake. I'm not really looking to turn up the boost until I get another daily driver.

I'm not going to suggest/push any car but it's a great time for test drive every candidate. Good luck in your search.

91 celica st
11-10-2006, 08:12 PM
if you do not boost a rotary motor theyll go high mileage. Maybe you read super street and the script of the fastn the furious a little too much... :ohyeah:
hey asshat did you not read my last post. i said non-turbo rx-7's last a decent amount of time

and any 13b dosent last long turboed, opened up or not, they are just not high mielage engines...sorry to dissapoint some of you but they just dont last as long as pinston engines.

KoreanJoey
11-10-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm sorry I've been autoxing an FD several times and that car (original motor) has 165K miles on it. It's also running 15lbs on the stock turbos. In fact there are several autoXing FDs and FC Turbos that have well over 150K on them. Given they're not like a Toyota which makes it to 300K but considering the fact they're raced religiously seems to argue with your point. Maybe with idiot kids who don't know how to take care of a car but the same can be said with any engine. Don't believe everything you read in the magazines kid.

ciento44
11-10-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm sorry I've been autoxing an FD several times and that car (original motor) has 165K miles on it. It's also running 15lbs on the stock turbos. In fact there are several autoXing FDs and FC Turbos that have well over 150K on them. Given they're not like a Toyota which makes it to 300K but considering the fact they're raced religiously seems to argue with your point. Maybe with idiot kids who don't know how to take care of a car but the same can be said with any engine. Don't believe everything you read in the magazines kid.

You don't understand.... obviously neither of us know anything.

Much as it pains me to say so.... i would also consider a Fox Body Mustang in this group. :hehe:

KoreanJoey
11-10-2006, 09:09 PM
You don't understand.... obviously neither of us know anything.

Much as it pains me to say so.... i would also consider a Fox Body Mustang in this group. :hehe:

Fox body mustang... :ugh: Never was a fan but there are plenty of fast ones... and there is a bunch of aftermarket support for them. I just wouldn't be caught driving one. :)

ciento44
11-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Fox body mustang... :ugh: Never was a fan but there are plenty of fast ones... and there is a bunch of aftermarket support for them. I just wouldn't be caught driving one. :)

Exactly why it pains me to say... it's not something that i'd rather be seen in vs. my celicas, but it is a great, cheap, jack-of-all-trades platform.

KoreanJoey
11-10-2006, 09:12 PM
true dat.

KoreanJoey
11-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Oh, one thing to avoid w/ RX7s... are the drivers of RX7... rotorheads are a little... odd.

bloodredgt
11-10-2006, 10:33 PM
If your looking I have a 94 supra TT that I am going to be putting up for sale here in a few weeks.

Location of the Supra? 6 Speed? Mileage? Color?

Basically the price range I have is from $0 - $27k roughly. Another car just jumped in the bunch of cars I'd like to consider: NSX. But then again it is considered an "exotic." Most likely if something went wrong with it mechanically it would cost the same as fixing an exotic. Heard from some NSX owners that maintaining it can be pricey, but some people get NSXs that have been babied and are in great condition (since mostly adults are the first owners of NSXs).

I guess a test drive would really help with the whole deciding factor. Leaning in this order, Supra then RX-7FD then NSX then MR2 Turbo.

KoreanJoey
11-10-2006, 10:37 PM
NSX = awesome... but yes is considered an exotic... and if you ever need to replace any body panels... YIKES, aluminum = pricey panels.

TheNefariousOne
11-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Damn, must be nice to have up to $27k to throw around for a new car...

burnyd
11-11-2006, 12:19 AM
hey asshat did you not read my last post. i said non-turbo rx-7's last a decent amount of time

and any 13b dosent last long turboed, opened up or not, they are just not high mielage engines...sorry to dissapoint some of you but they just dont last as long as pinston engines.

hey twattwaffle.... you are a twattwaffle.

91 celica st
11-11-2006, 12:19 AM
hey rickstas bitch...you are rickstas bitch

bloodredgt
11-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Damn, must be nice to have up to $27k to throw around for a new car...

Doesn't it? Finally got the feeling that kids with rich parents get (too bad I'll be making the payments for insurance, registration, and the car). But it's close enough.

Hookecho
11-11-2006, 12:34 AM
hey twattwaffle.... you are a twattwaffle.

:laugh:

KoreanJoey
11-11-2006, 12:50 AM

You're still an idiot.

burnyd
11-11-2006, 12:51 AM

no I am rickstas father.

TheNefariousOne
11-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Doesn't it? Finally got the feeling that kids with rich parents get (too bad I'll be making the payments for insurance, registration, and the car). But it's close enough.

Yea...I wish I could even afford the payments. :-/ Damn college, why must thou be necessary?

KoreanJoey
11-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Yea...I wish I could even afford the payments. :-/ Damn college, why must thou be necessary?

Cause you don't want to flips burgers or do hard labor.

85gtsblackman
11-12-2006, 04:06 AM
can u guys not ruin a fucking thread, this one is going down hill fast

anyways back on topic

subaru wrx, or 99-01 2.5rs impreza

3rd gen celica, later on i can swap a 7m and run 12.8 http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9117

mk3 supra

mk4 supra, but the mk3 is better with the 2jz or 1jz

all trac

99-01 v6 5peed camry

05-up x runner truck

KoreanJoey
11-12-2006, 04:17 AM
Mk 3 and the 1JZ is a cakewalk swap too. 2.5L TT w/ high reving capabilities = fun. And the 1JZ is substantially cheaper than the 2JZ so a definate opportunity there.

GT4SOM
11-12-2006, 04:53 AM
I would suggest a Ae86, thats what I would get, you can easily find one in great condition for 3k out in cali and the 4ag is pretty solid. Parts are cheap unlike the supra. But if you really want a PW then I would say go MK4 FTW but keep in mind thats going to be a bottomless money pit.

bloodredgt
11-12-2006, 05:02 AM
I won't be modifying the car anytime soon after I buy it. Most I will be able to do is probably cat back exhaust, intake, wheels, and suspension. I don't want to fuck around with the motor for a bit. At least until I get a high paying job.

91 celica st
11-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Mk 3 and the 1JZ is a cakewalk swap too. 2.5L TT w/ high reving capabilities = fun. And the 1JZ is substantially cheaper than the 2JZ so a definate opportunity there.
yea but aftermarket support for the 1jz is substantially less in america then the 2jz, and almost all parts are not interchangeable. even tho support is growing. but 1jz+mk3=sex

KoreanJoey
11-12-2006, 08:56 AM
True, there isn't as much as for the 2JZ but for the cost of the 1JZ it's a worthwhile trade off. Especially if you have no plans to be messing the the engine. With tuning the 1JZ is capable of making pretty healthy numbers (300+RWHP). And since you'll probably get it from Japan you never know what goodies will come with it ;)

bloodredgt
11-12-2006, 07:58 PM
I really don't like the body styling of the MKIII supra. I think it's just plain ugly compared to the MKIV. I'd like my car to be eye candy even as a stock car, like a RX-7FD, MKIV Supra, or NSX. This is a car I plan to keep for a LONG time. Even if I got a stock RX-7, Supra, or NSX it'll stay smog legal (huge pain here in California). I don't want to have a step around the law and bend it so my car could stay registered. It's just too much of a hassle and most people want some extra leverage for that kind of special "smog" treatment.

I want a pretty quick car from stock and all 3 of those options are great. I don't want to go through the hassle of swapping in a motor as soon as I buy the car. It's just another thing to worry about.