PDA

View Full Version : JDM Swaps in Cal

smog7
11-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Just wondering but how can you pass smog with a jdm 3sgte in cal? i have a 90 alltrac and im thinking about doing a jdm swap in the future. what do you guys do about the egr system?

91 celica st
11-09-2006, 01:46 AM
no not even with a cat,m you have to have an egr

you can swap out your bottem end for the jdm one,m but keep your head,m intake manifoldm, and ecu and harness.

why would you want to swap for a jdm 3sgte? there not any better than the one you have.

smog7
11-09-2006, 02:18 AM
unless i can find one here in the states with low miles, then jdm is alot easier to find

91 celica st
11-09-2006, 02:51 AM
did you blow yours up? what exactly is wrong with it?

smog7
11-09-2006, 04:38 AM
nothing is wrong with it at the moment, but when i do decide on doing a swap i want to know what i have to do. my car is motor is currently bone stock with 141xxx miles

91 celica st
11-09-2006, 06:38 AM
wait, ur siggy says you have a 1990 alltrack, why would u want to swap for a jdm 3sgte when it is the exact same thing minus an egr vavle, the computer is tuned for japanmese octane gas, and i believe the turbo is a ceramic ct-26....theres nothing to gain but a wast of time and money if your engines not blown, i would rebuild ur 3sgte with forgies or get a new turbo, you can still pass smog w a new turbo as long as you keep emissions stuff and they dont notcie it.

so why do u want to swap it?

KoreanJoey
11-09-2006, 06:59 AM
rebuilding is more costly and requires more downtime than just putting in a JDM engine with low miles. but yes JDM engines are not CARB legal.

3DZ
11-09-2006, 08:54 AM
find some one with $200 hush hush smog checks.

91 celica st
11-09-2006, 05:54 PM
find some one with $200 hush hush smog checks.
easyer said than done, tho usually you can get them in San francisco. some places the smog guys dont even know what there looking at. i.e. having a 2 door integra and haviing ur friend take your plates and vin# with his 4 door and doing smog for you :)

ciento44
11-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Smog7, i know it can be done, i'm just not completely positive as to what needs to be added. I believe there's a thread on it somewhere on AllTrac.net. But probably the easiest way would just to do the hush hush method.

smog7
11-09-2006, 07:28 PM
yeah im not really worried about it at the moment because im currently a "poor' student, but i just want to get all the info down so that when i do want to do the swap i know what to do..... but yeah ill probably end up doing it the "hush hush " way when i find someone that can do it........

lumbercis
11-09-2006, 07:32 PM
I heard josh at chicoraceworks has done some JDM swaps that he was able to get to pass smog. probably involves retrofitting EGR and other emissions stuff. maybe contact him and ask.

J.

smog7
11-09-2006, 07:42 PM
cool. thanks i sent them an email

91 celica st
11-10-2006, 12:30 AM
theres a place around here called NCDL that retrofitscars to make them claifornia smog legal. im sure theres other places around there that do the same. these people also run in mmchamp car atlantic. couldnt find there website but have there champ car page.
http://www.champcaratlantic.com/Teams/Team.asp?ID=78

it is EXPENSIVE to make your jdm engine retrofit to usdm equipment. the easyest way would be to pay them make the egr hole in the head and use a USDM intake manifold.

OR

just swap out ur usdm mbottem end for the jdm bottem end and rebuild your usdm head with the jdm parts...i.e. cams vavles etc. cheaper, easyer and you wont have to worry about smog cuz u will still pass.

gt lifthback
11-10-2006, 02:30 AM
I was wondering the samething..........i want to do the swap but i dont know what it takes to make it street legal (besides the hash hash method)..........so if you guys know or have contact information please share

burnyd
11-10-2006, 07:20 AM
rebuilding your motor if you cannot do it is going to be pretty expensive. It would be much cheeper to ethier go ahead and get a jdm motor or even a used usdm motor. If you do get a JDM Motor you will have everything off of your old motor to put on the jdm one. Make sure you stick the egr valve there and clean if off with carb choke.

smog7
11-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I Want To Swap My Engine Out When It Gets To About 150k Due To The Fact That I Dont Have The Time Or Money To Rebuild My Current Engine.

alltracman78
11-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Thread cleaned and reopened for further input if so desired.

No more bashing dammit.

smog7
11-12-2006, 06:49 AM
has anyone here had any experience with jdm swaps? the reason why i want a jdm swap is that i just want a low mileage engine for daily driving. my power goals will never exceed 250bhp, thats why i just want to do a simple jdm swap. ive been talking to the people at http://www.chicoraceworks.com/ and they say that they can make a jdm st185 rc engine smog legal by using the egr system off my current engine.

burnyd
11-12-2006, 07:27 AM
^^ Did you not read anything I said before? Use everything off of... its not worth telling you again.

KoreanJoey
11-12-2006, 08:21 AM
has anyone here had any experience with jdm swaps? the reason why i want a jdm swap is that i just want a low mileage engine for daily driving. my power goals will never exceed 250bhp, thats why i just want to do a simple jdm swap. ive been talking to the people at http://www.chicoraceworks.com/ and they say that they can make a jdm st185 rc engine smog legal by using the egr system off my current engine.

If they say they can do it GREAT! I don't know Chico Race Works but I've heard the name and if they can do it at a reasonable cost I don't see why not to do it. But one thing I would try to do is get it in writing that it will pass smog because you don't want to do it an fail and get stuck with an engine you can't use. That's just my advice.

burnyd
11-12-2006, 08:47 AM
If they say they can do it GREAT! I don't know Chico Race Works but I've heard the name and if they can do it at a reasonable cost I don't see why not to do it. But one thing I would try to do is get it in writing that it will pass smog because you don't want to do it an fail and get stuck with an engine you can't use. That's just my advice.

good thing you said that on a celica board.... come on now everyone knows chicoraceworks.

KoreanJoey
11-12-2006, 08:53 AM
I've never dealt with them... but they seem to have a good name.

JasonX
02-16-2007, 06:41 AM
150K on a Toyota engine is barely anything though. Just keep on saving your money. Drive your car 'till it has 250K. i just hit 155K on mine, and still great.