PDA

View Full Version : NEWS- Supra Hybrid?

Azzazzyn
11-05-2006, 06:11 PM
linky (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/203557/son_of_supra_will_be_a_hybrid.html)

Idiot Stick
11-05-2006, 06:31 PM
:bowdown:

Ricksta
11-05-2006, 06:37 PM
what idiots...why must they discrase the supra like that with the whole hybrid shiznit?!?!

7speed auto?!??! wtf?!?!

6 speed tt can do 200 if done right and a 7 speed top speed of 170?!?!? pfff

MCcelica
11-05-2006, 06:54 PM
That thing is pissed lookin. The only way I would rock one is if they made a stick though. Personally I think the hybrid part is badass. I mean, imagine being at a gas pump and some dude is like "Whoa, that thing looks sweet!" and you're like "Yeah, does 0-60 in like 5 seconds" etc etc etc. Then once they say "Must be a hog on gas though" you can say "Nope. It's a hybrid" then roll on ground laughing.

nuclearhappines
11-05-2006, 07:10 PM
more gears doesn't necessarily mean higher top speed

you can use more gears to reduce gear spacing, which actually increases acceleration (as long as you don't take a lightyear shifting between the gears). When you have an auto that can shift for you in say 20 to 40 milli seconds... you have no problems running ALOT of gears to maximize acceleration.

Furthermore, new automagic cars (like the one in my sig) have a clutch that locks the tranny in that gear after the shift... thus ... it's no longer a 'sloppy auto' as in the drive train loss is pretty similar to that of a stick shift since the tranny and the motor are clutched together in all gears (not just in overdrive like a typical auto) and so there is no tranny 'slip' inherent to autos

TEAMFaint
11-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Lexus has an automatic 8 speed, pretty sexy I must say.

Oh yah, I doubt they'll ever come out with a Supra ever again, sorry to break it to ya, so many rumors have been floating around for years and years.

I've read countless news articles about a supra coming out the following year and still havent seen anything, why should this one be any different?

Hiko
11-05-2006, 08:11 PM
I'll believe that there will be a new supra when I see it in the showroom.

Did find it interesting that subaru is part owned by toyota though.

burnyd
11-05-2006, 08:26 PM
what idiots...why must they discrase the supra like that with the whole hybrid shiznit?!?!

7speed auto?!??! wtf?!?!

6 speed tt can do 200 if done right and a 7 speed top speed of 170?!?!? pfff

I wish for a day you had a brain you would be capable of making postes that make sense.

CelicaZ-R
11-05-2006, 09:35 PM
This car reminds me of a TV servies called "Defender" or something similar... it was a very badly made series in which a Viper RT-10 (Red) used to go into "Defender mode" with this it magically changed into a Silver look-a-like 2009 Supra, and then in the second series there was a Blue GTS Viper that did the same thing :squint:

Elektr0de
11-06-2006, 07:48 AM
bah. weve been hearing about the *new supra* for like 6 years now, i'll believe it when i see the press release from toyota

hobbie2k
11-07-2006, 03:04 AM

Electric motor = Massive, instantaneous torque

If anyone can make a high-performance hybrid, Toyota can. Also, a manual hybrid probably wouldn't work very well because the car's computer wouldn't be able to use gearing to maximize the system's performance.

Cavanagh
11-07-2006, 03:12 AM
That thing is pissed lookin. The only way I would rock one is if they made a stick though.
:bigthumbu agree

Morwan
11-07-2006, 04:23 AM
Well-designed autotragics are great in a straight line, but are terrible on the track. Having to do a 6->5->4->3 downshift instead of a 6->3 really kills the fun.

cosmic_sombrero
11-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Merh? Its just like shifting on a bike. Click click click click (on bike)--> fwip fwip fwip fwip (on paddle)

KoreanJoey
11-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Well-designed autotragics are great in a straight line, but are terrible on the track. Having to do a 6->5->4->3 downshift instead of a 6->3 really kills the fun.

WTF are you talking about man? I can downshift faster (in a standard manual) than the car slows so... why is that even an issue?

Morwan
11-07-2006, 08:21 AM
In a sequential automatic, you can't skip gears. So if you're coming up on a corner in a road course and need to shift from sixth to third, you have to do a 6->5->4->3 shift, waiting for the transmission to get in gear at each point.

In a manual you just do a straight 6->3 shift.

Merh? Its just like shifting on a bike. Click click click click (on bike)--> fwip fwip fwip fwip (on paddle)

It's more like click (2 seconds later) *shudder* click (2 seconds later) *shudder* click (2 seconds later) *shudder* click (2 seconds later) *shudder* for the IS350 and the Celica GT-S, unfortunately.

KoreanJoey
11-07-2006, 09:35 AM
In a sequential automatic, you can't skip gears. So if you're coming up on a corner in a road course and need to shift from sixth to third, you have to do a 6->5->4->3 shift, waiting for the transmission to get in gear at each point.

In a manual you just do a straight 6->3 shift.

It's more like click (2 seconds later) *shudder* click (2 seconds later) *shudder* click (2 seconds later) *shudder* click (2 seconds later) *shudder* for the IS350 and the Celica GT-S, unfortunately.

Ok, this is the classic difference from a good sequential manual gearbox to a crap one (or selectable automatic) ... Cause I've driven the paddles on a 355, 911 and M3, all were pretty good. But then again I've driven it in an MR2 spyder was pure garbage... just because you had a bad experience with sequential transmission (from a company that now exclusively makes economy/luxury cars) doesn't mean to say the sequential is bad or even that Toyota won't figure it out. If I remember correctly some of the M3 guys were saying that when the SMG it was garbage but BMW did turn it around and the MR2 spyder... well last I heard it was still garbage...

KoreanJoey
11-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Oh and to note, the IS350 is an automatic.

tankd0g
11-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I doubt we'll see a Supra until Toyota wins an F1 race. They probably had the car ready to unveil 3 years ago, but are still waiting for that win :)

Morwan
11-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Oh and to note, the IS350 is an automatic.

The article states that the Supra will come with a sequential automatic, not an SMT.

KoreanJoey
11-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Ewww... yeah it'll be garbage.

Morwan
11-08-2006, 10:25 PM
I really hope the automatic tranmission is just speculation. The Supra didn't the best handling to begin with, putting an auto in it would turn it into a giant boat.

Joey, you said you've driven some good SMGs, how do they handle multiple downshifts? It's something I'm curious about ever since I rode in the IS350.

KoreanJoey
11-08-2006, 10:34 PM
They're great, I don't know about you but even on the road course I downshift 1 gear at a time, I'm pretty fast at it but still 1 gear at a time and the SMGs are still substantially faster than I am at downshifting.

Morwan
11-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I usually try to group my downshifts (5->3 in the Celica on the only track day I've been to), since shifting can upset the balance of the car. Every tiptronic/autotragic I've driven was pretty terrible at revmatching or had a looooong delay for downshifts.

KoreanJoey
11-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Never had a problem, plus the tiptronic transmissions allow me to drive w/ two-feet which is a plus.

alltracman78
11-09-2006, 12:02 AM
a manual hybrid probably wouldn't work very well because the car's computer wouldn't be able to use gearing to maximize the system's performance.

A hybrid trans, at least the way Toyota has theirs right now, wouldn't work as a manual. Period.

Moving to the correct forum.....

partyball
11-09-2006, 04:37 AM
Arent most of the high powered supras 1000+hp the tiptronic automatics?

GT4SOM
11-09-2006, 05:05 AM
hmm 500 hp and better gas milage then my swaps?? Sounds like a PW to me. I'm in :D

elektrateq
11-09-2006, 05:35 AM
AWESOME!!! Hyrbrid is sweet. Like the v6 accord hybrid. WTF is a vandium-oxide battery? That's a new one. Should be huge if it's successful seeing how Lithium is the best they can come up with so far.

KoreanJoey
11-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Morwan, I can downshift very, very smoothly and never had a problem with upsetting the balance mostly because I'm under full braking at the time that I do my downshifting. Also if I'm braking very quickly I still make the motions of going through the gears instead of just jumping from say 4th to 2nd.

TheNefariousOne
11-09-2006, 07:15 AM
Arent most of the high powered supras 1000+hp the tiptronic automatics?

Most I've seen use GM automatics. Proven platform with tons of parts and upgrades available.

aballz
11-09-2006, 08:59 AM
I believe Toyota perceives the market in favor of a "stickomatic" type transmission for your regular consumers. I'm sure most people in the market now-a-days purchase an automatic. This is probably why Toyota feels it's suitable to make their supercar an automatic. Besides performance-wise an auto shifts faster than any person shifting a manual would.

helipos
11-09-2006, 01:08 PM
I usually try to group my downshifts (5->3 in the Celica on the only track day I've been to), since shifting can upset the balance of the car. Every tiptronic/autotragic I've driven was pretty terrible at revmatching or had a looooong delay for downshifts.

Dont be fooled into thinking auto's are shit. Tractor my family owned has a push button auto. Wont change gear for you according to revs but will on a button push. Also does everything clutch, revs, change and clutch again quite smooth untill you really give it shit and then id say its only marginally rougher than a good manual change.

Regards Helipos
:wedge: