PDA

View Full Version : Stability

VikingJZ
11-04-2006, 07:30 AM
I finally got some good tires put on the car. I got them for $15 each from a junk yard. Two are Dunlop SP Sports and the other two are some Warriors. they're not the best but I couldn't pass up the deal.

I recently replaced the ball joints and all four sway bar links. These "new" tires are 195/70/14

The car seems kind of unstable at highway speeds and above. Could the tires be the problem? I know they're a bit larger than the recommended size. the Warriors are up front. I may try putting the Dunlops up front on Sunday when I do some other stuff. What about getting the recommended sized tires for just the front?

Idk....

Murgatroy
11-04-2006, 07:56 AM
It will affect your speedo being the wrong size, but that is not major.

Are the tires balanced? That could be your problem.

Your swaybar and everything is attached right? What about your struts and springs?

Slider
11-04-2006, 09:30 AM
It's best to have the tires with more grip in the back for daily driving. You don't want the rear end to come out unexpectedly in emergency manuevers because of it having lower grip. And what exactly do you mean by unstable?

KoreanJoey
11-04-2006, 10:54 AM
See I tend to disagree with this one... the car tends to understeer to begin with and being front drive if you ever start to lose traction in the rear you just give it gas to create understeer.

KoreanJoey
11-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Oh and get a damn alignment.

CandianCelicaGT
11-06-2006, 02:09 AM
185/65-14's all around, those tires are like balloons on our cars. My car is unstable and it's caused by a bad u-joint in the steering shaft.

VikingJZ
11-06-2006, 04:24 AM
Yeah I had an alignment about two weeks ago...just got the tires on though.

Car is straight as an arrow...just feels funny when you turn the wheel.

Slider
11-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Try bumping up the tire pressure, the soft sidewalls will make the steering response seem a little sloppy. Also your suspension (shocks/springs/bushings) could be worn if it's stock, resulting in crappy. My car feels like crap for this reason.

VikingJZ
11-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Now...there is a popping/clicking sound when you make a left turn. It happens really once when the turn happens. I also think the strut mount is bad....because you can push down on the car on the street and push down on the car and it makes the same click noise when going over a bump.

Lots of body roll.

Fuelish
11-11-2006, 10:56 PM
See I tend to disagree with this one... the car tends to understeer to begin with and being front drive if you ever start to lose traction in the rear you just give it gas to create understeer.Agreeing with Joey on this... his advice sounds about right to me ...... I've always run 4 identical tires (on every car I've owned), and on fwd models, I usually run 3-4 psi more in the front. Makes for a much more "balanced" driving experience. A car that has the steering/accelerating/ and has majority of braking force centered on front wheels, why would anyone in their right mind put the "tires with more grip" on the rear ?????? Beats me ....

Slider
11-12-2006, 02:45 AM
Agreeing with Joey on this... his advice sounds about right to me ...... I've always run 4 identical tires (on every car I've owned), and on fwd models, I usually run 3-4 psi more in the front. Makes for a much more "balanced" driving experience. A car that has the steering/accelerating/ and has majority of braking force centered on front wheels, why would anyone in their right mind put the "tires with more grip" on the rear ?????? Beats me ....

Well he has two different tires, and I don't know what level of grip they have. If there is a stickier tire on one end it will upset the handling off the car. You put a cheapo tire on the rear, and the rear end might be snapping out on you when you don't want it to. Picture a situation when your at highway speeds and you have to avoid something. Most people will swerve out of the way. So lets say you have crappy tires in the rear, you avoid the object but the rear is starting to come around pretty quickly since the front tires are gripping but the rear isn't. Trust me it can happen pretty quickly. And since most 5th gens have a lot of age, the suspension is mostly worn so that makes it even worse to recover. Seen it happen with FWD cars with almost identical tires on each end and it resulted in them crashing, grippier front tires would've probably made it worse. It gets even worse in rain. It's better to be safe then sorry when an emergency situation comes up, even though they don't come up too often.

KoreanJoey
11-12-2006, 04:03 AM
Investing in suspension will solve many of those situations... and my street tires are the same all the way around. But yes sloppy suspension does make for some hairy oversteer.

VikingJZ
11-13-2006, 01:23 AM
Bah.....Yeah I need to replace all of that crap.

Anything on what could be the popping sound?