PDA

View Full Version : Performance Upgrades

91PinkCeli
11-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I thought that it would be good to make a thread concerning strictly performance upgrades. I have looked through and haven't found a thread concerning just upgrades.

So I think this is a good place where you can write down upgrades from mild to higher priced and customs for our celicas

ciento44
11-03-2006, 09:51 PM
I thought that it would be good to make a thread concerning strictly performance upgrades. I have looked through and haven't found a thread concerning just upgrades.

So I think this is a good place where you can write down upgrades from mild to higher priced and customs for our celicas

On the 5sfe, you're kindof limited in terms of readily accessible parts...

Clutch
Flywheel
intake
header
exhaust
nitrous
underdrive pulleys
And i've heard of cam gears, but haven't seen them

Past that, you're looking at some fairly involved work... head work, high compression pistons, etc...

Putting on a "ge" head to replace the "fe" head is an alternative, but will require the 3sge ecu/wiring/injectors. Basically you'll end up with a 2.2 litre "stroker" 3sge is the closest way to describe it. This will end up running probably $1500, to look at it on the safe side.

And then obviously, you can make a "5sfte" if you have a mind to do a lower-pressure turbo setup. Keep in mind this can be pretty risky, considering the 5sfe internals aren't all that strong, or well suited to boost. (although Pressure2 seems to do well with it. :P )

KoreanJoey
11-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Do you realize how large this list would end up being? I mean.. huge... but ok, I'll start with a couple...

K&N Filter with new piping, fittings and silicone couplers: $100
Ground Control Coilover Springs: $400
Koni Sports: $600-800
HKS cams: $300 per cam (3SGTE and 3SGE) plus shim underbucket or shimless buckets and new valve springs if you're going with high lift cams.

Fuelish
11-03-2006, 10:01 PM

So I think this is a good place where you can write down upgrades from mild to higher priced and customs for our celicas My vote goes to the best tires you can afford - 5th gens ain't drag racers, but handle nice, especially on TN country backroads....tires are a very effective upgrade, and no hassles, given a reasonable size chosen ;) .... :cool:

KoreanJoey
11-03-2006, 10:16 PM
1sloceli is running on Toyo Proxes4 (I think) and they seem to be a pretty well rounded tire, if you're going full out grip and don't care about tire wear Falken Azenis are always a good inexpensive choice.

insomnak8702
11-04-2006, 01:38 AM
well 4afe engine wise this is what i got,
4-2-1 header off a corolla - $120.00
Custom 2.5 pipping exhaust - $150
Aftermarket muffler - $40
Custom intake - $30

Murgatroy
11-04-2006, 07:19 AM
The list is about as long as your imagination, and the prices follow suit.

Suspension is the most sensible mod and the one I would reccomend the most. Power means diddly squat if you can't control it. Period.

A decent set of tires in a good size, some springs and shocks/struts and you will be in good shape. You can go with swaybars, braces (subframe, front rear upper strut tower and a cage for the really determined) and more advanced options at a later time. The nifty thing about modding your suspension is that you also improve your looks.

I currently have a set of Toyo Proxes4 and a set of Hankook Ventus II, the Toyos win without even a fight, don't buy the Ventus unless you are desperate. I am on my second set of Toyos, and I absolutely love them.

insomnak8702
11-04-2006, 05:49 PM
what is the best cheap shocks out there for the coupes? kyb gr-2's? and where can we get bushings also?

KoreanJoey
11-04-2006, 07:09 PM
... *sigh*... yes GR2s are a cheap replacement... you can get bushings at http://www.toyheadauto.com/PerformancePages/Polyurethane_Bushings.html

siyindicate
11-06-2006, 04:45 AM
i have some idears my 3s-ge
-HKS cams
-port polish exorst only!!
-4 - 2 - 1 extractor's
-2.25 inch exhaust
-K & N pod filter in cold air box
-64mm throttle body
-and chip the ecu

91PinkCeli
11-07-2006, 05:36 PM
I don't want to make a racer out of my car just a little extra go, so everything helps.