PDA

View Full Version : Super Street!!!!!

Cavanagh
11-03-2006, 02:04 AM
So, if anyone picked up the new november issuse of super street magazine,im in there. I worte in to letter to the editor. the title says "what a feeling" and its by me, CJ Cavanagh ;) i tried to snag a pic, but it didn't come out clear. THats all.

KoreanJoey
11-03-2006, 02:08 AM
"I drive an ST... I need more speed please send me a 3SGTE..."

Cavanagh
11-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Lol...no, i just comment on how they are more Honda/Acura/Nissan Centric and how theres a big community of Toyota tuners.

andy
11-03-2006, 06:41 AM
nice, ill have to take a look. yay toyota

Murgatroy
11-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Modified this month has a spread on the Fensport GT4X 7th Gen.

Rio_Cyber
11-03-2006, 09:10 AM
hm, your scanner have taken a prolonged vacation or what ;)

'90 CeLicA Aus
11-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Scan the letter, I wanna read :)

Cavanagh
11-03-2006, 10:01 PM
will do...gimme a few

InitialD93
11-04-2006, 03:09 AM
its been 5 hours... did u want a few days?

Murgatroy
11-04-2006, 07:11 AM
It's been a couple of days now...

insomnak8702
11-04-2006, 09:15 AM
days? i thought it was weeks :hehe:

Cavanagh
11-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Oh ya, sorry guys, i have been busy as hell latley...lets say, i will get it up ASAP.

gt lifthback
11-08-2006, 02:08 AM
So is the scanner working ........

Cavanagh
11-08-2006, 04:09 AM
Actually, it isn't. it says its not hooked up/downloaded software and im tryin to fiqure it out. God damn you people just go buy the issue :hehe:

MCcelica
11-08-2006, 04:24 AM
No. I'm a cheapass. Scan the damn thing

nuclearhappines
11-08-2006, 04:24 AM
just type it mang (no superstreet where i live)

Cavanagh
11-08-2006, 04:44 AM
ok, will type it out....

Nov. 06' Issue, Pg. 49.

What a feeling
"I have one thing i notice about your magazine: where are all the Toyotas? I mean this is the only thing that bothers me about your magazine. Besides the AE86s, Supras, and Scions, where are all the other Toyotas? Me being a celica owner, i feel somewhat leftout. I mean, you dont even feature badass cars like the MR2s and ST185 Celicas. Also, you guys seems to sure show alot of Nissans, Hondas, and Acuras, which i really dont mind, but i wish you guys would show some other import cars that are out there. They may not be the most popular to tune, but thats what makes them cool and unique."

CJ Cavanagh
VIA THE INTERNET

Since cars like the Celica or MR2 are such an uncommon platform, it's difficult finding owners who have truley made thiers unique, unlike the mulitude of Honda,Acurac and Nissans that never seem to lose popularity.If any of you are out there, speak up; we want to feature these cars as much as you want to see them in Super Street!

MCcelica
11-08-2006, 04:55 AM
You should reply to him saying "Yeah, well if you assholes were to feature toyotas, maybe they'd be more popular!"

gt lifthback
11-08-2006, 05:00 AM
Hey dude that was a good email.......hopefully people from different celica sites could read this magazine and speak up, show the people out there that we are part of the import community...... that we are trying to show our passion for our so loved celica's.

ciento44
11-08-2006, 05:13 AM
MR2 isn't a popular platform? Hrmm... first i heard of it.

Is it because Toyota didn't absolutely GLUT THE FREAKING market with them like normal economy cars?

Murgatroy
11-08-2006, 06:26 AM
I think we as Celica, MR2 and Corolla enthusiasts speak up and show them some good shite.

If only I weren't too lazy to type on out. Clay's car was built with the hope of publication, and false promises on some fronts. Or at least that was always my understanding of it. I still think it and many others from the site are more worthy than the cookie cutter 'Silvia' and JDMed Honda. Toyota has a lot of heritage that most don't think about. And the Celica is a chick's car. :hehe:

Morwan
11-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Is it because Toyota didn't absolutely GLUT THE FREAKING market with them like normal economy cars?

I think it's mostly because Toyota stopped importing/producing entry-level performance cars in the early 90's, you couldn't get anything quick for under 30k. They don't have anything in the same range as the Civic Si, Integra GSR, 240SX , or 350Z (Except the 7th gen, but it was only around for 5 years.). Even the tC is a dog unless you turbo/supercharge the everlovin' shit out of it.

lumbercis
11-09-2006, 12:44 AM
I don't think there's to much bias going on with feature cars. I think it really is as they say, there are very few celicas or mr2's as clean as the cars usually featured in their magazines. There are some mr2's that I've seen on mr2oc that would make good features (just look at the "mr2 of the month" pages) , but if the owners aren't submitting their cars to the magazines, then we won't see them. And sorry if i step on toes here, but i've never seen a 5th gen on a US forum that I thought was up to the standards of a magazine feature (I'd love to be proven wrong...post pics).

I've always thought an alltrac would make a good feature car, and I think the magazines would like it due to it's history and uniqueness factor, but the alltrac community is EXTREMELY conservative. Any body mods whatsoever are likely to get you accused of "ruining" a classic rally car. To a certain extent Im sympathetic with this view, but don't look for any alltracs in magazines any time soon.

6gc.net has a few cars with magazine potential, mostly because 6gens take better to body mods. But there really arent many cars that have all the elements. And thats what it really comes down to. To get featured in a mag, you can't neglect any element of the car. Exterior, Interior, Engine (performance and appearance), Suspension, etc. And there just aren't any celicas out there that I have seen that meet those standards.

J.

KoreanJoey
11-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Don't forget audio and lots of TV screens... I'd be more than happy to never see a 5th gen in one of those magazines.

Trance4c
11-09-2006, 12:53 AM
HA!!! Ya.. I went back and forth with Super Street twice, they were suppose to come to us, didn't happen. Then they said they would shoot the car at Spring Break Nationals in Daytona, they flaked out and said they wanted ME to come to Miami!! ppppfffftttt.. whatever.

lumbercis
11-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Don't forget audio and lots of TV screens... I'd be more than happy to never see a 5th gen in one of those magazines.

I think this is a misconception. What you are describing is actually more of a showcar. There's a pretty big gap between showcars and what actually gets printed in magazines nowadays. I have quite a few different magazines from the last year and there are almost no features with really heavy ICE. The style i see most often is more race-inspired or JDM. Just look at how much space Super Street devotes to race coverage like drift, JGTC, GT300/500 etc. I see alot of feature cars with gutted rears and nothing more than an aftermarket head unit and some front speakers. Also alot of actual race cars from different tuning shops or manufacturer teams. I think the days of veilside kits and massive ICE are over. Doesn't mean you still don't see it occasionally, but I think super-clean is more the style now.

Also, I think the magazines to a certain extent want to feature some more modest street cars because alot of their readership complains that some of the factory cars they feature are too pie-in-the-sky for a regular tuner to ever aspire to. So you get stuff like clean JDM civics or AE86's alongside the widebody time-attack rx-7's.

J.

KoreanJoey
11-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Guess it's time to build the celica then... damnit and I thought I was done w/ buying shit for it.

Cavanagh
11-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Ya know, i agreed with them, until they said the community was small and uncommon platform blah blah....

Look at how many swapped celis we have running on this site and many awesome mr2s on mr2oc.... so on that part, i must disagree.

lumbercis
11-10-2006, 04:19 PM
^You need to really look at the level of car in the magazines and then look at the swaps on this site and really ask yourself whether they are up to those standards. Sure it may be a nicely executed swap, but is the engine bay super clean? PERFECT paint and body work? Tasteful exterior mods? Suspension mods? Tasteful interior? Some good quality ICE? High end rare wheels? Show me the celica, of any gen, that has all that. There are a handful on mr2oc, but even there, you'll see a lot of cars that are close, but not quite there.

J.

Slider
11-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Super Street isn't even good at being toilet paper.

RIalltrac
11-10-2006, 05:11 PM
^You need to really look at the level of car in the magazines and then look at the swaps on this site and really ask yourself whether they are up to those standards. Sure it may be a nicely executed swap, but is the engine bay super clean? PERFECT paint and body work? Tasteful exterior mods? Suspension mods? Tasteful interior? Some good quality ICE? High end rare wheels? Show me the celica, of any gen, that has all that. There are a handful on mr2oc, but even there, you'll see a lot of cars that are close, but not quite there.

J.

Its unfortunate that I dont have any pics myself, but all I have to say to answer everything your looking for in a celica is Pat Chinshue. Look on alltrac.net if you cant find anything around here.

evilcel
11-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Ive seen a centerforce st185 in a magazine not THAT long ago, maybe a year. Wish I still had it :( I do agree though, super street in paticular is all about supra, skylines, civics, and 240s.

Murgatroy
11-10-2006, 05:28 PM
I prefer Modified Mag a bit more. As far as the import rags go, it is the least offensive. I don't like all the editorial comment that comes with Super Street. Import Tuner is all about the flash and crap, then there are a dozen others that aren't even of that calibre.

Slider
11-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Grassroots Motorsports is my magazine of choice, covers a good variety cars, they listen to suggestions, they had a couple mr2 project cars, and a celica. It also has some good tech articles. Sorry it does not include any models with fake boobs or rice. Sport Compact Car is alright also.

TheNefariousOne
11-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Ya know, i agreed with them, until they said the community was small and uncommon platform blah blah....

Look at how many swapped celis we have running on this site and many awesome mr2s on mr2oc.... so on that part, i must disagree.

Still, compared to Hondas, etc., the Celica/MR2 community is small. Like not even close. Go to Honda-tech and watch how quickly threads move down the page there.

Murgatroy
11-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Grassroots Motorsports is my magazine of choice, covers a good variety cars, they listen to suggestions, they had a couple mr2 project cars, and a celica. It also has some good tech articles. Sorry it does not include any models with fake boobs or rice. Sport Compact Car is alright also.
I like Grassroots. I don't consider it an 'import' mag though, it is for all makes and models.

gt4tified
11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
As an alltrac owner, I sympathize with you CJ. Actually I bought that issue when it was spanking new off the shelf and when I read the letter I was thinking like...this has to be one of the guys from alltrac.net, celicatech.com or mr2oc.com.

The sad thing though is that with all our bitching, super street's lame excuse for not posting them is total B/S. Don't you guys know that its all about the benjamins? Look, mags make their money from advertisements/page space. If you look at MOST of the (especially new) companies, all they offer are parts for HONDA/SUBARU/MITSUBISHI/INFINITI and all that shit, ignoring toyotas. So if their supporters don't push toyotas, why should they (SS) push write ups on our cars?

This was actually the second edition of this magazine I bought for this year and I must say, with every new edition, they are giving me lesser and lesser reasons to continue 'supporting' their magazine. If anything, I find their magazine merely amusing.

~Ralph~

Adrian Avgerinos
11-20-2006, 06:28 PM

:bigthumbu

Now a feature in something like Grassroots Motorsports would be a pretty neat article to read.

I think this is a misconception. What you are describing is actually more of a showcar. There's a pretty big gap between showcars and what actually gets printed in magazines nowadays. I have quite a few different magazines from the last year and there are almost no features with really heavy ICE. The style i see most often is more race-inspired or JDM. Just look at how much space Super Street devotes to race coverage like drift, JGTC, GT300/500 etc. I see alot of feature cars with gutted rears and nothing more than an aftermarket head unit and some front speakers. Also alot of actual race cars from different tuning shops or manufacturer teams. I think the days of veilside kits and massive ICE are over. Doesn't mean you still don't see it occasionally, but I think super-clean is more the style now.

Also, I think the magazines to a certain extent want to feature some more modest street cars because alot of their readership complains that some of the factory cars they feature are too pie-in-the-sky for a regular tuner to ever aspire to. So you get stuff like clean JDM civics or AE86's alongside the widebody time-attack rx-7's.

J.

While the trend seems to be moving from “pimped out stereo systems on wheels”, towards “race inspired street car,” the cars are still show cars creating the illusion of high performance but intended to impress friends and car show judges. The show cars are simply taking on a different theme. First it was drag racing, then it went into drifting, and now it seems to be “time attack.”

For example, take a look at the featured cars on Stupid Street’s website. The 1995 Nissan 240sx screams identity crisis with its race-like appearance coupled with super flashy parts. It’s unique in the same way as all the other “street” cars featured with its unpainted hood, giant bumper scoops, a multitude of stickers, swiss cheese rotors, overpriced JDM seats, overpriced JDM gauges, overbuilt engine, a myriad of electronic gizmos mounted out in the open for the world to see (though should rarely need to be touched if the car is tuned right), and cartoonishly large wheels valued at more than the value of the original car. The rest of the cars on that page are similar and the articles are identical: 75% of the article is about the parts chosen for the overbuilt engine, with the rest talking about the oversized brakes and body cladding the owner paid some shop to install. Read the articles where the owner is using an unmodified engine and you’ll see the length of the article is significantly shorter.

The other type of cars you are starting to see more of are “Time Attack” (damn the use of Engrish. It’s just an autocross on a track). In my opinion they are basically drift cars setup for real racing, but maintain the same level of NASCAR-like advertising and sponsorship found in the drift scene. I presume these are the cars you alluded to in your post. These cars too suffer from excess “bling”, but in a different way. This time section welded intercooler piping replaces chrome u-bends for the garishly large turbo, and at least the JDM seats are used in conjunction with a proper roll cage (though I use the term “proper” loosely here).

From what I’ve seen, these “Time Attack” teams are usually greeted with a smirk and snicker from the regular racing guys since the cars are typically not intended for real road racing (more than one lap) causing them to usually overheat. Plus, the look of them makes you think “Hot Wheels!” rather than “fast car!”

These are amateur race cars, and at the amateur level, race cars are usually understated and minimally sponsored. The idea of a “Time Attack” car being built by one shop, but raced by another, and then slathered in sponsorship stickers, and angular body parts is foreign to the amateur road race community in the US.

The part that bothers me most is that to the na´ve and ignorant, these flashy cars are the only exposure one has to the world of road racing. As such, it is assumed that one needs an overly powerful car with minimal stock parts to simply get out on a track and have fun. And that’s depressing.

/soap box

Cavanagh
11-20-2006, 09:47 PM
^^^^:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:^^^^
Agree 100%