PDA

View Full Version : 4afe engine replacement question.

zmile06
10-30-2006, 03:21 AM
Well some of you might know... I have been burning thru oil, i havent cleaned the engine and checked for oil stains YET. But it might be sludge and i want a new engine in my celica sooner or later anyways.

My question is does anyone sell the 4afe rebuilt? I heard you can get a rebuilt block and then just swap stuff on it from the previous engine. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone.

I have been checking into swapping a 7afe in but i dont think it would be worth the electrical work.

I'm a little scared of buying an E-Bay JDM engine, because the whole point im putting a new engine in is not to burn oil. And if i buy it off ebay i might get another engine that did not get oil changed on time.

Also would using a engine from difrent vechile with a 4afe be a problem? Or would there be any noticable diffrences? Like if i used the 4afe out of a 95 corolla or something?

85gtsblackman
10-30-2006, 04:06 AM
the 4afe in the 93-97 rolla is a gen 2 4afe u would have the same wiring probs as a 7a

what do u want, power , economy, lil power, lot of power

with the whole 7a thing u could take a 7a block and bolt your 4afe head on, thats what i was planning to do with my 91, cept i planned to attach a turbo to it but rwd is more fun

anyways, u could also use an engine out of an 87-92 corolla, the exaust manifold is diff, u would have to use a differnt manifold, intake is the same

just dont get a carbed motor,

other than that theres major swaps, like 4age 4agze 5sfe 5sge hybrid 3sgte 3sge or 1mzfe and 3vzfe

also the jdm direct replacement is actally called a 5afe, whicjh is a 1.5 , id rather have a 4a considering that motor makes less, yes less hp than a 4a, yes i had one, i went and broke it and the 4a was better, so i got another one

hope i helped

Edit: almost forgot u could just rebuild your current engine

how many miles are on it and what oil/weight are u running though it

91 celica st
10-30-2006, 04:21 AM
the 4afe in the 93-97 rolla is a gen 2 4afe u would have the same wiring probs as a 7a

no the 4afe in 93-97 corolla is the 7afe in the dx and le versions, only 1 model had the 4afe, the CE.

what do u want, power , economy, lil power, lot of power

with the whole 7a thing u could take a 7a block and bolt your 4afe head on, thats what i was planning to do with my 91, cept i planned to attach a turbo to it but rwd is more fun

the 4afe head will fit on 7afe block but you will need a 7afe header and 7afe timing belt

anyways, u could also use an engine out of an 87-92 corolla, the exaust manifold is diff, u would have to use a differnt manifold, intake is the same

exhuast manifold is the same. diffrent o2 sensor bung and diffrent exhuast hanger tho. unless you get a gt-s model then header is diffrent but those are rare anyway

just dont get a carbed motor,

other than that theres major swaps, like 4age 4agze 5sfe 5sge hybrid 3sgte 3sge or 1mzfe and 3vzfe

also the jdm direct replacement is actally called a 5afe, whicjh is a 1.5 , id rather have a 4a considering that motor makes less, yes less hp than a 4a, yes i had one, i went and broke it and the 4a was better, so i got another one

actually the 5afe block is better than the 4afe block, and it produces more power. its basically a de stroked 4afe with lighter rods witch is mainly what produces the extra power. heads are nearly identical from 4afe to 5afe except EGR. i would never boost a 5afe block tho, rods are alot thinner

hope i helped

me 2

Edit: almost forgot u could just rebuild your current engine

how many miles are on it and what oil/weight are u running though it

dont mean to be a dick about it joey, just thoght id set it straight :)

TNT
10-30-2006, 05:20 AM
While we're at it..

no the 4afe in 93-97 corolla is the 7afe in the dx and le versions, only 1 model had the 4afe, the CE.

That first part doesn't make sense. But what he was saying was that the 7th gen corollas that DO have the 4AFE as opposed to the 7A is the gen 2 etc etc. He wasn't saying all 93-97's have a 4AFE

unless you get a gt-s model then header is diffrent but those are rare anyway.

There's a very good reason for that. AE92 rolla GT-S's had a 4AGE, not a 4AFE.

91 celica st
10-30-2006, 05:40 AM
yea...thats what i posted...no need to re-iterate

85gtsblackman
10-30-2006, 03:17 PM
yes the exaust manifold is diffent

no im not talking about ca emmissions

trust me i had a 4afe 2 out of a celica 1 out of a rolla , both had federal emmissions

corolla has a single dump while the celica has a dual dump and a y style down pipe

corolla
http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/68/68238/em-90-97-corolla-1.jpg

5th gen celica st
http://images.andale.com/f2/121/116/1735586/1050119222567_PLP1390170AA.jpg

both of these are federal emmisson

ima, beat u guys :slap:

Murgatroy
10-30-2006, 03:25 PM
yea...thats what i posted...no need to re-iterate
But it does help to clear it up for those that don't have engine codes memorized. Not everyone knows what engine came in what, that is why he is asking questions.

91 celica st
10-30-2006, 07:27 PM
and im not trying to be a dick, dont get your panties in a bunch

91stx, yes but they will bolt on the eingine, the flange for the head is still the same
im actually using a corolla header on my celica 4afe becuase they flow better, kinda like how the 98+camry 5sfe header is better than the celica header

zmile06
10-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Ok we kind of went off subject guys.

E-bay (yes i know a crappy source) says there is a 4afe JDM engine.

And is the 5afe more power? I heard it lacked like 3 horse power, im not going to turbo it so dont worry about that one. I'm looking to keep the same if not more horse power, but i dont want to mess with electrical wiring. I want a direct swap, put it plug it in run it engine. I dont want any problem to occur, i would like to get a new engine swapped in with as little headache as possible.

I thought about rebuilding my engine but without knowing what im doing and not having the time to learn myself i decided not to. I would like to however purchase a rebuilt engine (if its reasonable priced).

I do not want to get a junkyard engine, i will probable get the same problem my engine has which is sludge in the rings. Which cannot be fixed unless you rebuild the engine..

I was looking at this engine on e-bay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-92-TOYOTA-COROLLA-CELICA-PRISM-1-6L-JDM-ENGINE-4AFE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ016QQite mZ260045584620QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Will it be a direct swap? My car is a 93, but it also has had a newier engine already put in it at some point. Ill take pics of the engine later today.

Thanks guys for the help.

Murgatroy
10-30-2006, 07:45 PM
You can go to any machine shop and get your engine refurbished. It is not that hard to disassemble/assemble an engine, especially if you are contemplating removing it yourelf.

You can get new gaskets and everything and have a new engine for a lot less work.

The only things you would need to replace would be the rings, bearings and seals. Get everything tanked and you will be good to go.

zmile06
10-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Everywhere i look the rebuild kits say 88-92, my car is a 93 wtf juice?

I mean i have sludge in my car i dont know if anyone remmembers my previous post or whatever... Do i still only need to replace the ring,bearings and seals?

How much would you think getting my engine refurbished would cost? And how long do you estimate it would take?

I mean this is my only car so it would suck having it gone for too long, i would probable need to take work off because of it.

Murgatroy
10-30-2006, 08:05 PM
If you are doing this on your own, without help, it will easily take a week at the least. You will spend minimum of $100 in tools. It will cost $100-$200 for parts.

If you are going to tear it down, I would replace everything I could. Rings, seals and everything. It may not need all that done to it. A simple break down and build with thorough cleaning might be enough. But if I were to be taking that much effort, I would make sure I did it right.

I ma sure Napa would have the parts you need.

zmile06
10-31-2006, 12:27 AM
I was thinking about buying a 4afe JDM engine and then slowly rebuilding my old engine.

91 celica st
10-31-2006, 12:42 AM
there is no jdm 4afe when your on ebay lookming it says "jdm 4afe engine" it means 5afe

and the 5afe actually makes more power then the 4afe

Cavanagh
10-31-2006, 03:41 AM
If i am correct, I pretty sure the 4afe was not produced and sold to Japan.

91 celica st
10-31-2006, 05:01 AM
no the 5afe is japanese its there replacment for the 4afe

85gtsblackman
10-31-2006, 05:45 AM
whatttttttttt

ok whats the #s on a 5afe :wtf:

engine chart (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153)

ok now notice i said

EXAUST MANIFOLD, not header

i dont know what he wants out of his engine

hell we still dont knbow how many miles are on the engine, what type of oil hes using, what weight oil, driving habbits, how much oil is being leaked or burned over 3k miles and how long it takes him on avarage to get there ect.

no im trying not to be an ass , just stop trying to correct things i didnt goof on

i never said anything about a header, that for posting about it though

zmile06
10-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Around 140k on the engine running 10-40 oil. Im guessing its coke build up? Not positive though. I had a local a local shop quote me, at 700 just for the engine including parts labor. This was not having them pull it and drop it:)

This is what they would do redoing the head , 3 angle valve job ... head milled , block honed , block tanked , crank polished, rods reconditioned.... all new gaskets and seals...

That should put my engine at pretty much zero miles. There is nothing wrong with the engine except coke build up and maybe an oil leak.

Just out of curiosity after all that i should be able to run full sythetic oil right?

91 celica st
10-31-2006, 07:37 PM
exhasut manifold=header

Chargerjon
12-03-2008, 02:03 AM
as far as i know you should only run synthetic oil if you have a brand new engine otherwise you would be wasting your time and money

90CelicaST
12-03-2008, 02:06 AM
2006 is the new 2008

mar_phi6
12-03-2008, 05:30 AM
any updates ? what the different from the 4afe and the 5afe Hp wise?

90CelicaST
12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
any updates ? what the different from the 4afe and the 5afe Hp wise?

And according to Wikipedia, the 5afe produced the same amount of power/torque as the 4afe. But, personal experience trumps what you can read on the interwebz

DaneDog311
12-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Done it... it's not a noticeable difference... BTW don't ressurect dead threads ;)