PDA

View Full Version : Battery Discussion.

alltracman78
10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm curious as to what people are using for batteries.
To start, I currently have a Optima Redtop.
I have had 3 of them, with pretty much good luck.
One did die, but it sat for over a year.....

I am interested in possibly changing out the Optima for a smaller battery, but i want close to the same power out of it [It's always started my cars fine, even in sub zero temps].

So, open topic, what are your feelings on car batteries?

MCcelica
10-29-2006, 07:31 PM
The more I think about it, the more I realize that I don't have any idea what kind of battery I have in my car. I'll get back to ya on that...later...if I remember too.

ciento44
10-29-2006, 07:38 PM
I just have a generic WalMart brand battery in my car...it's been there as long as i can remember... so at least 6 years. Never failed me, and i lived in one of the coldest places in the US for 3 years. Started in -40 weather multiple times.

I'm looking into the Optimas though eventually for a relocation project.

jjazmin
10-29-2006, 07:53 PM
i got some walgreens one...my car has always started and ive had it in my car for about 7 years already

91 celica st
10-29-2006, 09:25 PM
autolite platnuim type thing. had an optima. IMO thereuseless if you dont live in insanly cold weather or have the mcrazyest sterio system

most poeple dont know that optimas actually dont have that great of cold cranking amps...its about the same as a regualr battery

SuperWhite92
10-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Braille Auto Batteries FTW

alltracman78
10-30-2006, 04:02 AM
I've heard of those, as well as Odyssey.

most poeple dont know that optimas actually dont have that great of cold cranking amps...its about the same as a regualr battery
Meh.
The redtop is 825 CCAs @ 32*F I believe....
Which is about 200 more than most small car batteries.
So they're a little better.
Seeing as the winters where I live tend to be below zero for a decent bit, I like the extra power.

While I don't mind anyone posting what they have, for others reference, personally I am only interested in a SMALLER battery than the Optima, with close to the same power. I would like to make a bit more room in the engine bay.
No I am not moving the battery to anywhere else in the car, period.

I have heard of a decent number of people having problems with the redtops, but I personally am not one of them. They have worked excellent for me.

david in germany
10-30-2006, 06:40 AM
I am running Optimas in the Celica (yellow) Lancia (yellow) and the 4runner (red) and would never run anything else unless someone could prove there is something better. I got all of mine used/free from the army sort center here on post and all of them were said to have been dead. Put them on the charger and all tested fine (a month after being charged) I have had 2 dead ones from the same place but once again they were used/free and marked as dead so I can't complain. the red top in the 4runner is dated 98 I think and the yellows are dated around 99-00, don't give up your Optima man!

Luis C
10-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Bosch Silver, after the previous one died after a year. Heat makes short work of batteries here, have to replace almost every 18 months

Gary
10-30-2006, 02:12 PM
I have the Odyssey PC680. I have been using it for about 2 months now. No problem whatsoever. The car starts fine. I'm not sure about how it will react in NE cold weather. Most people I know using this battery, live in warm climate. The battery is very small and light (15.4 lbs) Odyssey rates the CCA different from other manufacturers. They only measure the first 5-10-20 seconds of cranking. If you are getting one, make sure you get the one with automotive SAE terminals. If you want to keep it in the engine bay get the one with metal jacket (PC680MJT)
Here is the spec:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm
By the way, Odyssey make a little bit bigger version (PC925MJT) with more cranking amps. The size is 7.05" wide x 6.64" long x 6.08" and weigh 26 lbs.

85gtsblackman
10-30-2006, 03:06 PM
i have the high dollar yellow and black walmart battery, its about 6 year old and ive drained the thing god knows how many times with the stx, still going strong, and it fell from the roof of a car , twice, been in extream heat with some cold days and its still going, if that aint good i dunno what is

890 something cca and 700 cc is nice :hehe:

but then again its a huge battery

2kSnakEater
10-30-2006, 04:06 PM
I have the Optima Red top in the Trans Am, when i relocate the battery on the All-Trac i will get another red top optima since I dont want any kind of acid in the All-Trac

celica9303
10-30-2006, 11:43 PM
the wal-mart battery is the EVERSTART maxx (i work there) i want a optima but cant find one that fits(yellow or red) there all to big for the factory battery hold down. i have a chep murrays battery in it now ben in there since i bought it. any help with theoptima i appreciated

85gtsblackman
10-31-2006, 06:01 AM
i just took the maxx and fliped it around, the big ass one thats like an F-1 or something of the sort

it dont move

and the 5th gen held it but i remember i modded the bracket

Denver_whiteST185
10-31-2006, 08:26 AM
ive got an everstart maxx too. that things a monster. im hoping to get a lighter battery and get a battery warmer jacket and a trickle charger for when its cold out.

Serpico
10-31-2006, 05:26 PM
I have the Odyssey PC680. I have been using it for about 2 months now. No problem whatsoever. The car starts fine. I'm not sure about how it will react in NE cold weather. Most people I know using this battery, live in warm climate. The battery is very small and light (15.4 lbs) Odyssey rates the CCA different from other manufacturers. They only measure the first 5-10-20 seconds of cranking. If you are getting one, make sure you get the one with automotive SAE terminals. If you want to keep it in the engine bay get the one with metal jacket (PC680MJT)
Here is the spec:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm
By the way, Odyssey make a little bit bigger version (PC925MJT) with more cranking amps. The size is 7.05" wide x 6.64" long x 6.08" and weigh 26 lbs.

Whoa cool thanks Gary...
Been thinking about getting a small dry-cell for a while to aide my straight intake mod, (sick of all those bends, removing, repositioning etc. PITA) thanks for that...
What's the normal Amp.Hour rating for GT4 ST185s? The one you pointed out is 17Ah...
...Sorry I'm being lazy, and not looking in the BGB... :)

Found a place in the UK in Cheshire for anyone else thinking about these, the 680 is 84.00...
http://www.priracing.com/section.php?xSec=41
Cheers,
Frank.

90celicaGTX
11-01-2006, 02:43 AM
I just have a generic WalMart brand battery in my car...it's been there as long as i can remember... so at least 6 years. Never failed me, and i lived in one of the coldest places in the US for 3 years. Started in -40 weather multiple times.

I'm looking into the Optimas though eventually for a relocation project.

fuck yea dude!!!
im running a Kirkland! from costco!
that piece has a 36 month warranty ..

i get a new one every year!!!!

GlHlOST
11-01-2006, 05:46 PM
lol... can any1 tell me the differences between Optima Red and Optima Yellow performance wise?

david in germany
11-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Red top is a starting battery, Yellowtop is a deep cyclehttp://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive.html

alltracman78
11-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Whoa cool thanks Gary...
Been thinking about getting a small dry-cell for a while to aide my straight intake mod, (sick of all those bends, removing, repositioning etc. PITA) thanks for that...
What's the normal Amp.Hour rating for GT4 ST185s? The one you pointed out is 17Ah...
...Sorry I'm being lazy, and not looking in the BGB... :)

Found a place in the UK in Cheshire for anyone else thinking about these, the 680 is 84.00...
http://www.priracing.com/section.php?xSec=41
Cheers,
Frank.

Yeah

Gary, that is kind of what I had in mind.
I'll have to think about it.

I don't think the BGB has battery info in it.
Not as far as ratings anyways.

Fuelish
11-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Dunno brand name of my vert's battery (I believe it's "AutoZone" brand, installed by previous owner, iirc....battery works fine.

On a sidebar, I had a '91 Tercel, which I drove until '04, when the ORIGINAL factory battery had to be replaced....was a Panasonic, I was amazed - that was the longest lasting battery I've ever had on ANY car....so far.

GlHlOST
11-05-2006, 05:00 AM
Red top is a starting battery, Yellowtop is a deep cyclehttp://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive.html
wats the difference?

Gary
11-05-2006, 05:36 AM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question219.htm

sloceli
11-05-2006, 05:52 AM
I've got an interstate deep cycle taking care of my battery needs. Its heavier than the Odyssey but it has more cranking amps. The battery I'm using is designed for an electric wheelchair. It's designed to be drained and recharged on a regular basis. It has already been in the 20's here and it has had no problems starting my car. It cost me $70 where as the Odyssey is $100 with less cranking amps.

MightyAl
11-07-2006, 06:42 PM
I am using a Miata battery. Very small and so far no problems. My buddy put it in and that guy at the parts store said unless it is going in a Miata they wont warrantee it. Curious how they can do that if you just bring the battery in. The trac cant fit a larger on in there now after relocating the fuse box and putting an RMR on.