PDA

View Full Version : 1974 Porsche 914 + 2003 Subaru WRX engine = :) :) :D :O

Mike431635
10-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Hey all, it isn't Toyota but I'm sure you'd all like to know what I've been working on. First of all I don't own the car, my gf's dad does, but he considers me to be the co-owner and we both put an equal amount of work into it. He's spent near ~$20k on a complete restore and swap. Not only did we swap it, we have had every part off the car except the top dash cap and front windshield (NOT kidding, I wish I was). Everything has been painted except the outside. The only thing left to do is have the fiberglass body perfected and put some new paint on the outside (considering Mercedes Brilliant Silver with dark blue stripes).

As for the motor, it's basically stock except for the intercooler & turbo relocation, Perrin fuel rails, Cobb crank pulley, the transmission adapter & clutch/flywheel assembly, and a whole lot of polishing and powder coating. We went to the extent of taking the engine apart to clean up every square inch with dremels and have every part we could get our hands on powder coated. The intercooler end tank and top sides were hand polished and the rest was painted (lightly on the fins as to not prevent airflow). Suspension is brand new from every new race bearing and bushing to the new Bilsteins and 200lb rear springs. Axles are 500hp capable although the car will never see it. Sound system rivals that of just about any car out there, the car has cold AC and great heat, you get the picture. It also went from a ~90hp aircooled engine to a high-performance watercooled engine so the front trunk was completely changed to allow for a Ron Davis Racing radiator. This involved cutting the front fascia and connecting it to the opening in the body kit (~20 hours of aluminum fabrication which yours truly undertook), cutting vent holes in the sides to let air out, running hoses under the body of the car, and welding up and sealing the floor where the old pathetic excuse for an AC system was installed.

And yes, it's unbelievably fast. We believe it's pushing around 210-215hp to the rear wheels through the Porsche 901 transmission and the car weighs about 2300 lbs. The weight distribution is exactly 50/50 and it's been corner balanced. Speed and handling, what a combination.

Here's the album of the project from start to finish. There are a few albums:
914 WRX Conversion- the work and finished product
W9R1 Tampa to Vegas 2006 SEMA Road Trip- Ed is documenting is 5000 mile trek from Tampa, FL to Las Vegas for all to see
1973 Porsche 914- the car that started the owner's 914 obsession and also the PERFECT body which was sold to repair W9R1's.

http://community.webshots.com/user/fat73

There's some vids also. I'll need to locate them and put a link here when I do so check back.

Murgatroy
10-29-2006, 04:10 AM
I have wondered what happened to you. Sweet car.

Trance4c
10-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Very cool project!! I likey :bigthumbu

jjazmin
10-29-2006, 08:23 PM
fresh..ive never seen that car before..is that the stock body of the car?

MrWOT
10-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Excellent work! :bigthumbu

ciento44
10-29-2006, 08:55 PM
fresh..ive never seen that car before..is that the stock body of the car?

Most of it but the front...

Front looks kindof like a Slantnose Turbo conversion/935 mock... Am i correct?

Sweet project!

Mike431635
10-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Stock 914's really look nothing like it. They're narrow body and the front end is completely different. 914-6/GT's had flared fenders to accomodate larger tires but thats about it.

As for the kit, it was done in the 80's and is a slantnose 935 kit, as ciento noted. The body is all fiberglass except the hood, doors, and trunk lid. It isn't perfect but we have a local body shop who is very skilled at fiberglass work who will make it so.

Anyhow, thanks for the kudos. I found the vids but they were done before we realized we had a wire off one of the plugs (and the thing was still frickin fast). When Ed gets back from Vegas we'll make new videos. Oh, and make sure to keep your eyes out for this car in several national car magazines, including Subiesport.

KoreanJoey
10-29-2006, 10:10 PM
I can't find the picture but there's a racer around here who runs a GT2 class 914-6 he's does autoX and lapping days mostly and in fact the car is for sale... (heard the numbers as low as 30K and as high as 50K) I don't know the motor details but the owner was saying it makes around 350HP at the crank. Pretty cool car, I'll see if I can find some pictures.

Mike431635
10-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Problem is, it still leaks oil. Like crazy.

Every aircooled Porsche does, regardless of the engine's condition or age. It really really sucks when you're embarassed to park it in someone's driveway. Main motivation to go with Subaru :D

But seeing as how it's a track car, it's cool. :)