PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Rent From Toyota Rent A Car

jai
10-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi guys,
I'm an old member, but i don't post often here...Was a very active member of the old celica.net community and i guess came aboard here and read/review topics from time to time. I'm here today to try and save some of you all from the experience i underwent.

This is my personal experience. Just like you all, I am a Toyota Enthusiast. I am a die-hard Toyota fan. With great anguish it takes to let you all know Ė please DO NOT RENT YOUR CAR/TRUCK/VAN from Toyota Rent A Car (TRAC).

I recently took my Solara in for timing belt service at a dealership (I do all my minor services, the major services I leave it to the proís). I rented a Yaris hatchback. Yes, I had cheaper alternative options (enterprise, Alamo-national, etc), but I wanted to check out a yaris.
Anyhow, the day I took delivery of the rental, it was pouring cats & dogs. Me and the service agent did our quick chicken-little dance around the car to check for damage and inked in the existing damage to the car. Mind you the car was completely wet, so in these conditions it was extremely difficult to see any damages to the car.

I drove the car 20 miles to my office (parked in my reserved spot Ė no one parks adjacent to me). I took the car back the same day (as my Solara was ready). Anyhow, when I returned it, the dude said I brought it back with damage. He showed me the scratches on the car (preexisting). I showed him my paperwork and told him this was preexisting and was posted on the walk-thru (or whatever its formally called). The guy then pain-takingly walks and checks every inch of the car (even the spareÖand the stuff in the hatch) to see if anything was missing/removed, etc. The dude in the morning didnít do all this. I think all this should have been done before and after. Anyhow, he comes back and tellís me a dimple by the door handle is what my damage was. I looked at a dimple dum struck.

I know I didnít go anywhere but work. I parked in my reserved spot, and no one parks next to me. I drove the car back from work back to the dealership. So there was no way I was the cause of this dimple (nor was it a result of my parking in a bad spot Ė nor was it a result under my rental). To me this was a pre-existing dimple, but I canít do nothing about it now. So I signed off the dimple on the sign-in paperwork. I asked the TRAC rep who checked me in how much would this cost. He said it will cost less than 150. I was like give me a call and Iíll take care of it myself (without involving my insurance, for which the deductible is already $500).

Anyhow, I received a call 2 weeks later from Cambridge Financial (TRAC outsources their claims to them) asking my side of the story. I repeat the above mentioned to them.

I was given a case number, being 068016438 and give me their contact info. 1-877-785-3674 Ext 2115. I kept leaving messages for the lady twice daily and never heard anything back. Anyhow, I hear from an insurance adjuster that a claim has been made and I need to give my insurance info or pay $1300. I asked for the damages that result in $1300, they told me it was for scratches to the car, door handle, and repaint the side of the car and replace/paint the front bumper. WTF?????

Anyhow, I called up Cambridge Financial again and keep calling the daily non-stop till she picks up. Finally when she does pick up she wanted to know how I was going to take care of the payment. I told her the story again and told her there was some prior damage to the car, and when I returned the car there was nothing wrong with the bumper!!!

Long story short, I called up the dealership where the car was services and talk to the service manger. He gives me number for Gulf States Toyota in Houston and asks me to talk to Amy. I called up Amy on the 13th of October and give me my side of the story. She said, her ticket claims that the damage was caused when the rental was under my procession. I told her I have evidence otherwise. She told me, she will investigate this and find the original ticket (walk-thru chart) and get back to me on the 16th. On the 26th I called her back and she said this is a closed file and their insurance already paid for the damages and they will seek payment from your end. I asked her for what amountÖshe refused to answer and said Iíll have to wait for their call.

For 2 months Iíve been ignored, insulted, and not heard. Iíve even tried PMíing TMUSA over at TN (he's a toyota rep that helps peopel from time to time). I Pm'ed him on teh 13th of October, but thus far even even my PM to him seems to have gone to deaf ears.

FYI: I already have an attorney. Heís advised me to wait and see what happens first, before taking any action. Heís won cases with Texaco, so heís no small town attorney..

Why am I writing this? TRAC (Toyota Rent A Car) screwed me over. I was going to rent a highlander over the weekend (as we were planning on buying a highlander and wanted to see if the size fit was to what we were seeking, but Iíve decided not to rent from them). I will still continue to be a Toyota Enthusiast, its just I will never use any of their services like TRAC. I would advise, anyone wanted to rent a carÖgo conventional (Enterprise, Alamo, AVIA, HERTZ, etc). Do yourself a favor and donít rent from TRAC. The 800 numbers donít help you. The local guy canít do nothing. The people are self-absorbed in world that ďthey are toyota and no one can touch usĒÖ

T-spoon
10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Wow, that really sucks, Jai. What dealership was it BTW? We have an enterprise right next door that as far as I know is where nearly all of our rentals go (that's where I rent when needed). I'd actually not heard of the TRAC program, but it sounds like a bad situation...

jai
10-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Dave, i actually went to get my car serviced at Dm-katy (i wanted shaun to work on my car - the guy who previously owned the 6th gen celica with a 3s motor swap) current riding ae86. I've spoken with steve (dm-katy service manager..and he didn't know anythign about it..told me to take it with TRAC..who then told me to take it with Gulf States Toyota who then told me to take it with Caimpridge Financial).

Slider
10-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Wow that's a pretty crappy situation. Good luck with everything.

T-spoon
10-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Dave, i actually went to get my car serviced at Dm-katy (i wanted shaun to work on my car - the guy who previously owned the 6th gen celica with a 3s motor swap) current riding ae86. I've spoken with steve (dm-katy service manager..and he didn't know anythign about it..told me to take it with TRAC..who then told me to take it with Gulf States Toyota who then told me to take it with Caimpridge Financial).

Ugh, not good. It sounds to me like you had an incompetant TRAC rep. and the truth didn't get sorted out well in the piles of paperwork :(

tankd0g
10-27-2006, 09:01 PM
If you loose, go back there late at night and get your money's worth in damage with a BB gun.

jai
10-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Ugh, not good. It sounds to me like you had an incompetant TRAC rep. and the truth didn't get sorted out well in the piles of paperwork :(

Sorta....Only Steve (Service manager at DM-Katy) has been good and professional. The rest just want to push paperwork across their desks. I don't want to blame one person alone. The system is flawed. I understand mistakes happen, but then/when you go up the food chain...people are there to ensure my opinion gets voiced, that people down there if they did something wrong in filing a claim, someone can correct it. Its been 2 months since the incident, i just hope TRAC people know the extent of the claim. Cus me and attorney are just waiting to see whats' going on..

If you loose, go back there late at night and get your money's worth in damage with a BB gun.
I won't loose, i have the evidence of the walk-thru with me. And even if i do...I don't think i'd want to take it out on a car...maybe a person...(j/k).

aballz
10-29-2006, 02:47 AM
I didn't read through your whole post but i knew where you were going. When my rsx was in an accident and i rented from Enterprise, they did the same shit to me. Although its a waste of money paying 9 dollars per day for their insurance, they won't be able to screw you like what they did to you or me. I responded calling corporate and emailing ALL of their departments and complained about this. I also emailed 7onyourside (tv station that does independent research on consumer services/products.

Enterprise actually mailed me the pictures of the damage, it was a 2 inch minor scratch on the bottom of the bumper. An area not even checked upon when rented the vehicle to me. They told me i had to pay $600 bucks initially but never followed up after i told them, i'm going to the media on how you guys conduct your services.

By the way i'd like to second Hertz as a good rental company. Good service, and great people. Enterprise is a P.O.S. Screw them

jai
10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
^^ what gets to me is that they are just being an a$$ about it. Heck i asked the TRAC rep when i dropped the car how much would he gauge the thing will cost, he said prob 150-200. This is going to under my deductible and i had agreed to pay for it, but then they are pounding more and more things that it amounted to a whole side of the car beign repainted and the front bumper too. Thats what pisses me off...I wanted to settle this outside of insurance. Its crazy that i can't talk to a person and keep talking to them, eveone's just sliding me to someone else and then i'm back to square 1. Next time, i'm talking the additional insurance on rental vehicles! I guess this serves as a lesson to me!

tankd0g
11-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Ask to rent the same car again, buy the insurance this time, drive it off a cliff.

zmile06
11-01-2006, 01:20 AM
Wow what a horror story man...

I will admit toyota has grown some flaws, and its pissing me off. Dont get me wrong ill probable die loving toyota, but i wish they would slow down trying to make profit and figure out whats going on. If they keep this kind of buisness practices up they will lose alot of money. Lets all keep in mind TRAC is probable ran by a seperate branch of toyota, and we cant all be perfect. But i still feel toyota is partial responsible.

Mistakes do happen, but multiple mistakes like this is irresponsible. In the chain of command someone decided to just screw you over. There whole operation is ran shitty, there system is shitty. Which is exactly why this happend.

I have noticed getting a lawyer usualy cost you more then the actual fines/fees people pay. Its more of a need to have things set striaght then it is to save money. I just wish poor people could afford justice not just people with a credit card:)

aballz
11-01-2006, 07:35 AM
Forget it, don't pay. Do you really think they'll spend big dollars for a lawyer to bring you to court to settle a small claim?

zmile06
11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Forget it, don't pay. Do you really think they'll spend big dollars for a lawyer to bring you to court to settle a small claim?

Lol yes they will, for the simple fact its a big company. Everything in a big company get handled, or someone up top will wonder why.

If there smart they will resolve it outside of court.

Hell my friend hires a lawyer for skateboarding tickets, he pays more then the ticket but its because of the moral. Cops would give him a ticket for skateboarding in parks in stuff, so he would hire a lawyer get out of it and prove a point to the cop.

Cavanagh
11-02-2006, 12:01 AM
that skateboarding thing would get pricey though....Anyhow, good luck man! Fight it!

jai
11-02-2006, 11:04 PM

I already have an attorney (i'm 100% sure it was stated in my first post in this thread). The attorney has advised me to wait and see...when my insurance asks me for my side of the story is when TRAC guys got to file their claim (or Cambridge Financial files a claim). All he has advised me to do is wait...cus then my insurance will fight for my claim. And when they settle on it, everyone will realize its under my deductible and then someone will call me (versus now me making the calls). Its a fuked system....its amazing its been 2 months...It not like i woke up one day and decided to make this thread. I waited very patiently for toyota to solve my problem inhouse, but the system is flawed.

I don't want to come out as bashing toyota, only their TRAC program. like you all i'm a 100% toyota fanatic as well!