PDA

View Full Version : stub time!

Ricksta
10-22-2006, 08:02 PM
how do i get the stub off my cv?!?! its compressed on there pretty tight and i dont want to damage anything...any ideas?

and when i get the new one in and i go to push it in with the c clip on do i hear a click to know that its in there?!?!

Hookecho
10-22-2006, 09:28 PM
the driver side cv is kind of a pain. just set the spline and wiggle it while pushing it in. you'll know it's set when you can't pull the shaft back out.......this disertation sounds like doggy sex.

what exactly to you meen by getting the stub of the axle?

Ricksta
10-22-2006, 10:07 PM
the inner axle. the stub. the shaft that goes into the tranny. bitch wont come off! ive got a new one and the old one wont come off for the life of me. what do you mean the spline??!?

burnyd
10-22-2006, 10:39 PM
stub... I heard thats what she calls you:X

Ricksta
10-22-2006, 11:26 PM
alright its off!!! i took the butt of one hammer against the crease...then another hammer and pounded that bitch off...i'll let you know how the test drive goes after i get the synchromesh in

andy
10-23-2006, 04:37 AM
i had to use a ball joint seperator to get mine off, those things are bitch tough.

BEAMS
10-23-2006, 05:34 AM
I used a large screw driver, make shift crow bar and 10 pound brick to hit the crow bar and pop them off. I was in a hurry and didnt have a large enough hammer. It worked perfectly, damaged the brick by breaking it in half but i got the job done. :lolhittin
And i did try to buy a hammer at the closest kragen but, they only had tiny weenie hammers, so i left. No joke, i told them to get bigger hammers and they said they would but i have yet to see any at their store.

davmac
10-26-2006, 11:52 PM
I used a large screw driver, make shift crow bar and 10 pound brick to hit the crow bar and pop them off. I was in a hurry and didnt have a large enough hammer. It worked perfectly, damaged the brick by breaking it in half but i got the job done.

That is hilarious. But, I have to admit to similar desperate tactics in some of my repairs. I guess there is some truth to the saying that desperation is the mother of invention.

If you ever do this again consider simply cutting the inner cv boot and removing / replacing the outer part of the axle. If your tranny seal on the drive axle isnít leaking (or the carrier bearing bad on the right side) I recommend always reusing the inner portion of the axle. Just clean out the old grease, add new grease and put a new band / clamp on the new boot that comes with your remanufactured axle. It really is easier and sacrifices nothing of the quality of your repair. Most of the problems with changing out axles come with the hassle of removing the old one or ruining the tranny seal when either removing the old or installing the new axle. I hate it when you spend hours stuck on that one bolt (or stuck axle) or cause another problem (leaking tranny seal) when you do a repair. Of course Iíve done both Ė and likely will again.

alltracman78
10-27-2006, 12:11 AM
With the axles he has, there is no need.
The inner joint unbolts from the "stub".

Luni
10-27-2006, 02:38 AM
If youre talking about removing the axle from the differential in the transmission a pickle fork and a hammer will do it.