PDA

View Full Version : Brake Light!!

Cavanagh
10-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Hey i have noticed that lately when i go a lil hard on my celica,(warmed up of course) and it shifts above 5K Rpm, and i let off the gas, the brake light illuminates for a good 5-10 secs after then goes off. It seems to happen more times than others. Ex yesterday it didn't at all. Today- everytime i revved high.

I know its not affecting anything, but it kinda bugs me...anyone have an idea?

KoreanJoey
10-19-2006, 10:13 PM
I had that problem before... tightened up the e-brake cable and no more problems.

msvasquez22
10-19-2006, 10:16 PM
i had the same prob too, added a little brake fluid no more prob.

ciento44
10-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Mine does that too...

I'm assuming it has something to do with the ebrake, because that's the only time that the light normally comes on, anyways. :P

I just ignore it, because my ebrake barely works anyways.

KoreanJoey
10-19-2006, 11:13 PM
i had the same prob too, added a little brake fluid no more prob.

That's probably a good guess... never thought of that. It's probably your brake fluid level that's coming on... good call.

Fuelish
10-19-2006, 11:25 PM
That's probably a good guess... never thought of that. It's probably your brake fluid level that's coming on... good call.Yup, agreed....most likely bet, low brake fluid. WOT is a pretty good way of finding out before fluid gets SO low that it comes on during "gentle" driving...or even stays on :eek:

alltracman78
10-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Mine does that too...

I'm assuming it has something to do with the ebrake, because that's the only time that the light normally comes on, anyways. :P

I just ignore it, because my ebrake barely works anyways.

Well, you might want to check your brake fluid level, before you have to bleed the master cyl.....

MCcelica
10-20-2006, 12:35 AM
I'm with ATman on this one. My 5th gen was doing that a while back and I added some fluid, and it stopped happening. What happened with mine though is it kept losing fluid so I kept refilling it. Eventually (after refilling it 3 times) I replaced the master cylinder because it was leaking everywhere. Take a look in your engine bay and see if you see drop spots below the master cylinder first. Then check your brake pads. If they're low your fluid level in the reservoir will drop because there's more in the lines because it has to push the pistons further.

ciento44
10-20-2006, 12:47 AM
Well, you might want to check your brake fluid level, before you have to bleed the master cyl.....

It's probably because the brake pads are shot... fluid level looks ok.

My ebrake hasn't worked very well in like... 5 years.

I'll take another look at it tomorrow, though. :)

alltracman78
10-20-2006, 01:03 AM
Well, 4 things will cause the light to come on.
Low brake fluid.
Bad level sensor/wiring.
E brake up.
Bad ebrake sensor/wiring.

Cavanagh
10-20-2006, 02:40 AM
Well, 4 things will cause the light to come on.
Low brake fluid.
Bad level sensor/wiring.
E brake up.
Bad ebrake sensor/wiring.
:hehe:

Murgatroy
10-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Dumbass.

:hehe:

MCcelica
10-21-2006, 03:04 PM
:slap: :bigthumbu :laugh: Time for new rear tires????

ciento44
10-21-2006, 03:39 PM
:slap: :bigthumbu :laugh: Time for new rear tires????

Hahaha... if the ebrake is good enough... mine barely slows me down, and i don't trust it to hold the car in place in the driveway...

Oh, and my problem was brake fluid. Pads were so far gone that it dropped the level. Running some Dot 9 or some such race junk mixed with my Dot 3. :P:P

Chris
10-22-2006, 08:50 AM
My brake holds me, but it comes on whenever the car is jolted. Today is stayed on pretty long, probably because it was so damned cold.

Cavanagh
10-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Ya well i will deffinatley go out and check my brake fluid.

alltracman78
10-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Hahaha... if the ebrake is good enough... mine barely slows me down, and i don't trust it to hold the car in place in the driveway...

Oh, and my problem was brake fluid. Pads were so far gone that it dropped the level. Running some Dot 9 or some such race junk mixed with my Dot 3. :P:P

Use 3 or 4.
NEVER use DOT 5.
It's not meant for normal brake systems....

And right now DOT 5 is the highest it goes. :D

ciento44
10-23-2006, 02:53 AM
Use 3 or 4.
NEVER use DOT 5.
It's not meant for normal brake systems....

And right now DOT 5 is the highest it goes. :D

It was old stuff... it was in a can. I guess it was 5 then... i just topped it off, maybe a shot's worth. I'll be ok i hope. :P

shammyinz
10-25-2006, 04:43 AM
If its the brake lights on the dash no idea, if its your actual lights that come on, its your break sensor, right behind your break pedal

KoreanJoey
10-25-2006, 06:18 AM
Dot 5.1 Ftw!