PDA

View Full Version : 92' gt with 91' gts , worth buying???

00MJR
10-19-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm just starting off... Yeah bare with me, I know how it is. I know a general Idea of what things are. I change my oil, have fixed a couple hose leaks, changes disc brakes, blah blah blah. I just want to know if this car I'm going to describe is worth the time and money, and also what I would have to do to fix these problems and how much money it would cost.

It's my friends '92 GT Celica with a 91' GTS engine.
Overall Condition... Good.
Wants $500 for it.

What it includes... in general.
-Exhaust has been done.
-Cold Air intake.
-Spoiler... which I not really liking.
-Comes with all the diagrams of everything, manuals.

Problems...
-Oil Pan slightly leaks. ( He says "Drop it and reseal it )
-Coolent leak from hose? ( He says "I think it's from a hose" )
-He explained he say it coming from a hose... he says he has to top the coolent off every couple trips. Would this apply there might be more then just a hose leaking... I don't want to dig a bigger hole.
-Bolt from engine manifold is stripped ( He says "You just need to retap it )
-Right front tire spring broke
-Might need new brakes ( I know how to do that )

Thanks for helping out and posting your ideas.

-Matt R.

davmac
10-19-2006, 08:41 PM
If the car were perfect mechanically I'd say its worth about $1800 - 2000. By my guesstimate you could end up spending that much depending on the specifics of the repairs you do. Best case you could spend < $1000 for car and repairs. Worst case you'll be around $1800.

GT and GTS engine is same - not that it matters as long as the engine you're buying is good. The only worry from your list is coolant loss. If due to head gasket failure then you're looking at signficant time and probably $200 - 300 to repair if you do the work. This is not a common failure, but it happens to high mileage older cars and might have happened here.

I'd snag a spring from salvage yard to stay cheap (<$50). I assume broken bolt is an exhaust manifold stud. Maybe you can live without it ($0). Fixing if you do yourself is pretty cheap, but might be hard work. Access might be tough for drilling and retapping with engine installed. You might remove radiator to make room. You'll have to loosen exhaust down pipe and remove engine support cross member to get the oil pan off to reseal anyway. $5 for RTV sealant to reseal oil pan yourself.

Brakes initially seem easy and cheap - pads ($40 per axle). But you have to consider that with the age of the car you might need rebuilt calipers ($100 per axle) and new rotors ($100 per axle).

Assuming you're up to doing the work you could have a decent car for $500 initially plus $200 - 600 repairs. If coolant leak is more serious kind (head gasket) then add $300 - or $700 to have someone do the work for you.

2kSnakEater
10-19-2006, 08:49 PM
right, so buy my 90 GTS and you wont have to do all that!

xeril
10-20-2006, 09:39 AM
just buy that car, its 500$. a used 5sfe from the forums is no more than like 300$.

00MJR
10-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Ok...
-Coolent leak is from just a hose.
-Retaping shouldn't be to hard, manifold is in the front of the engine.

Overall, before I buy it...

I'm going to probably take it somewhere to have it looked at. See what the problems actaully are.

Any more comments leave em, if not thanks for the help peeps.

Matt R.